When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Here's my "Bond"

panerai153

I've been asking a lot of questions about the proper parts for my 6538 project. Not going to do much, as my recently completed 1665 project busted my watch budget for a while!! I am planning to replace the crown with an NDT 8mm (this crown is around 7.94mm, the NDT measures a full 8mm) replace the insert I prefer the inserts with no minute markers between 1-15. Springbar holes need to be drilled out, and I am planning to replace the movement with a 2846-2. Also I may get the dial plots and hands relumed to a a little less "wabbi". That's about it.

i do have a question about the crystal, does it sit up too high? It sure looks awfully high to me.

Here are a few photos I took today.

P3120015a.jpg

P3120018a.jpg

P3120021a.jpg

P3120005a.jpg

I agree with Nanuq. A beautiful crystal on a 1665, but not an early Sub.

Overall, I think your watch looks excellent. I would get a more accurate crystal (Tropic 17 is the correct gen part if your case accepts a gen xtal or try Clarks on ebay for a good aftermarket) & gen or Yuki-style rivet bracelet (those striped straps looked good on Connery, but never quite right on anyone else), but I would not worry about your crown's missing .6mm (if you want, chalk it up to wear).

Very nice! The dome is definitely too high, that's a T39 on there, made for your 1665.

Just think how nice a gen bezel would look ...... :whistling:

I know my friend, just don't know if it would fit, or if i can afford it!!!. Probably of no help, but the OD is 38.46mm.

Original Scope was the owner and did the mods. "This watch came from Mary and was my first mod. It has a clark crystal,aged dial,hands and bezel.

It has a swiss eta"

It's starting to grow on me, very comfortable and light, although I can see that the "bathysphere" crystal has to go. Actually it will go one way or the other, because i'll probably knock it off if I don't change it.

I agree about the Bond strap Freddy. It looks nice and it's sure comfortable, but I have tried cloth straps before, and around here, in the summer, you need about a half dozen of them, as they get sweaty and dirty so fast. Mine get washed almost every day in the summer, otherwise your wrist starts to smell like the inside of a 15 year old's tennis shoes :thumbdown:

I may have a proper crystal I can send you, let me check my workbench. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Thanks very much sir. I have been searching for a replacement crystal, I see a lot of tropic 19's but no 17's. It looks like the 19 was used on the 6538A. I have been all over the internet and can't really find much difference between the two except that they were beefing up the 6538 to give it more water resistance. Read a bunch about the 6538A on Stefano Mazzariol's blog, but not much side by side comparison info. Of course we are talking about a relatively obscure group of watches here. Certainly not around in the numbers like the 1680's and 1665's.