When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Big crown Submariner - Part 1

Dizzy

Armed with a lack of information, and foggy advice, I decided to pick up a 6538.

I've never owned or worn a no crown guard Submariner before. I was sort of worried about the smaller size and wasn't sure how it would look on the wrist. Originally I was going to get a Yuki 5510 case set and dial, throw in an ETA and call it a day, but the case sets are so darn expensive, especially if i wasn't even sure i would like it. I thought I might do a trial run first.

So I ordered one of these from one of the dealers for $188

post-6336-0-42441700-1301558548.jpg

Everything is pretty ugly on it except for the 8mm crown. The dial looks like plastic, hands are silver instead of gold, the crystal is like a super high t-39 superdome and looks ridiculous, and of course the lugs are too thick. Oh yeah, and the funny thing is, between one lug is says "Registered Design 6538" and between the other lug, it says "Stainless Steel 5508" .... Hhhmmmmm.... Time to get to work

:crazy:

I threw on my 7206 bracelet to quickly see how it looked and felt on the wrist... I like it.

Time to take it apart today and work on the dial, hands, bezel, insert and install a modified T-21 plexi. More rounded than a regular T-19 and much shorter in height. I know its not the right superdome, but its all I had in my parts bins.

post-6336-0-36520400-1301558917.jpg

Stay tuned for more to come...

Thats a good price.

The only thing I really like on this watch is the crown. Had to install some rubber o-rings because it was missing a one inside the crown. Threads are kinda rough though.

I'll pop over there and check it out.

The T-21 diameter is larger than a T19. The stock plexi was also slightly larger. The T-21 fits nice and snug with a little sanding on the outer edge. Its shorter also so you dont end up with that crazy tall superdome.

The T-21 diameter is larger than a T19. The stock plexi was also slightly larger. The T-21 fits nice and snug with a little sanding on the outer edge. Its shorter also so you dont end up with that crazy tall superdome.
<BR><BR>

<P style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 10pt" class=MsoNormal><FONT face=Calibri><FONT size=1>Looking good. I have a similar project going on, mine also has that tall T-39 which looks totally wrong. Interesting about the T-21. I happen to have one, and it would make a much better replacement. Mine must use the same case as yours, because the markings are the same, 6538 on one side 5508 on the other. looking forward to seeing the rest of your mods. I would like to know how you got the bezel off, as <SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"> </SPAN>I tried but couldn't get mine off. It has the same spring that holds it in place. i don't want to break something, but I do need to get the bezel off to replace the insert as well as replace the plexi as some point.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT></P>

<P style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 10pt" class=MsoNormal><FONT face=Calibri><FONT size=1>Thanks<o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT></P>

Sorry about the above reply, I tried to edit my reply, and I got all that formatting stuff in the post.

Looking good. I have a similar project going on, mine also has that tall T-39 which looks totally wrong. Interesting about the T-21. I happen to have one, and it would make a much better replacement. Mine must use the same case as yours, because the markings are the same, 6538 on one side 5508 on the other. looking forward to seeing the rest of your mods. I would like to know how you got the bezel off, as I tried but couldn't get mine off. It has the same spring that holds it in place. i don't want to break something, but I do need to get the bezel off to replace the insert as well as replace the plexi as some point.

Thanks

Sorry about the above reply, I tried to edit my reply, and I got all that formatting stuff in the post.

Looking good. I have a similar project going on, mine also has that tall T-39 which looks totally wrong. Interesting about the T-21. I happen to have one, and it would make a much better replacement. Mine must use the same case as yours, because the markings are the same, 6538 on one side 5508 on the other. looking forward to seeing the rest of your mods. I would like to know how you got the bezel off, as I tried but couldn't get mine off. It has the same spring that holds it in place. i don't want to break something, but I do need to get the bezel off to replace the insert as well as replace the plexi as some point.

Thanks

Ya i get the same problem when I try to edit a post also.

The bezel was VERY hard to get off because the spring is very heavy. I actually bent my bezel a little and had to straighten it. I think the secret is to wedge a knife blade under it and as soon as you get a little lift, turn the bezel and "walk" the bezel off as you turn it around. You might need 3 hands to accomplish this though. I havent tried putting it back on yet. I am hoping to only have to do it once.

This is the correct crystal profile

0045.jpg

There is no regular retention ring on this one. Its the style where the crystal sort of pressure fits into the top of the rehaut with the help of a little glue. Because of this the crystal sits about 3 or 4mm higher than it normally would. A T-19 would work with a little crystal glue, but the diameter is a bit off because the rep crystal is a weird size. Also you would need to take about 5mm off the height to get it to look like freddys pics above. After I shaved down the T-21, it fit pretty snug. I only used a little UV cement to help seal it up from moisture. To remove my new crystal, I need to pop it out from the inside with my thumb.

This is the crystal that came with the watch....

post-6336-0-29497800-1301614960.jpg

post-6336-0-29762700-1301615246.jpg

I have the same case too. I made a 6204 out of it, though not as accurate as it can be. The big crown is wrong for my watch, but I haven't run into a less expensive 6mm + crown yet. I took the stock crystal down to the level I wanted, but it is like most Chinese plastic, wavy. I was going to use a T 19 and take that down, but the T 21 sounds like a better idea. Thanks for that.

62047.jpg

How did you get your bezel back on?? Its a stupid design. I think the only way you can do it is to install the bezel and spring before the insert is installed. Then glue the insert in. I think you will need to get at the spring from the top with a small screwdriver to put it into place. I just spent an hour trying to reinstall the spring and its not even close to fitting back on. Gotta love these old retention systems.

The crystal pops out from the inside. There's no regular retention ring like on a real Rolex. You can pop the crystal out and shove it back in without removing the bezel. There is NO WAY this watch is water resistant the way it comes from the factory. I used UV crystal cement to reinstall mine. The only reason i took the bezel off was to modify it to a burnt golden brass color.

If anyone has one of these I would recommend not to remove the bezel as you run a high risk of bending it, and you may have trouble reinstalling it.

The T-21 is a bit flatter than the T-19 I think. The height worked on well on mine anyways. When I do my Yuki build, I will probably shave down a t-19 dome.

If you can get the T-21 to work, it will be a great improvement over the crystal that comes with the watch. I'm slowly gettinig stuff together for mine. Actually I looked through all my parts stuff, and I have a T-21, so that's one more piece of the puzzle.

Thanks for the info about the bezel. I agree, if you can do most of the work without removing the bezel, It would probably be better. Undoubtably when these were being produced ( GenuineRolex), they must have had some special tool to remove the bezel. If I remember correctly, the Omega Seamaster 300's had a similar spring. You could press the bezel to one side, and pry up the other side and they would come off pretty easy.The only thing you had to be really careful about was not losing one of the tiny spring loaded ball detents that were the "Click" mechanism!!

FYI guys, the T21 is incorrect profile for what you're trying to achieve

Jojo,

What would be correct? The crystal that came on the watch looks like a T-39 superdome, it measures 30.61 OD. Would the only real choice be to grind down the one that came with the watch to achieve a lower profile?