When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Need ideas for a watch to be handed down...

Josetann

Ok, our first son will be born around June this year. Assuming we're ok financially, I had an idea. I'd like to get a nice, durable watch that'd last for a long time. Something I can wear every day (so he'll associate it with me) and that I can pass down to him, and he can pass on, etc. If he cooperates and isn't born like 10 minutes to midnight, I'd love to be able to purchase it the very day he's born. I know it may be a bit difficult, I'd have to get someone who would be willing to hold a specific watch before the payment was made, and possibly be willing to be called at 11PM to go run my card, so I can honestly say I bought that watch the day he was born (hopefully he'll be an early morning baby instead).

So, assuming all that falls into place, what kind of suggestions do you have for a nice, new watch that'll eventually become a nice vintage piece? Currently, I'm thinking of a Glycine Airman 7, or a plain black Submariner (the Sub LV is waaaaaaay too expensive). But am open to other ideas. I want something that looks nice now, can be worn every day (so no fancy dress-up watches), and will last practically forever.

Edit: Sorry didn't mention before, but budget will be around $1,000-$3,000, maybe a tad more.

Thanks!

Edited by Josetann

Well, two things against a dress watch. One, the price! I checked that Patek, $8,500 if you get it cheap? Ouch??!! If I have to take a mortage out on our house, I'd probably get a Daytona. Second, we don't really do that much that requires us to dress up. So, basically I'd be handing down a watch that he may have seen me wear less than a handful of times. I'd rather give him something that I wore almost every day. Something he'd associate with me. And something I can actually afford (a Sub LV is going to be too much, $4,000 is probably too much, now $1,000-$3,000 is probably doable).

I am mildy curious why the Submariner is preferred instead of the Glycine? The Glycine seems to fit the bill, but I am a newbie...perhaps it won't last as long as a Rolex? Isn't a timeless classic? I dunno. Price is a bit high, I could possibly find a used one for a reasonable price. I'd like to buy brand-new on his birthday, but I know in the end that won't be all that important.

I have been and will always be a Zenith fan. The El Primero movment is the best movement out there. If you look around eBay, you can get a Rainbow or Port Royal for around the kind of money you are talking about. The Port Royal is nice because it makes a decent dress watch, but could be worn for almost any occasion. UNderstated and elegant. No pretense.

-O

Something he'd associate with me.

There's your answer... buy the watch YOU love and he will remember as an expression of YOU. If that's the Glycine, go for it!

Don't try to predict what might be fashionable around the time you expect to die!

I have been and will always be a Zenith fan. The El Primero movment is the best movement out there. If you look around eBay, you can get a Rainbow or Port Royal for around the kind of money you are talking about. The Port Royal is nice because it makes a decent dress watch, but could be worn for almost any occasion. UNderstated and elegant. No pretense.

-O

We got something in common, I got a Zenith El Primero Rainbow recently... great watch :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Came with a video too! :D

Purely based on resale value only, my watchsmith recommended Rollie that its value actually goes up and durable at the same time.

My friend has Patek but since there are three children, I guess he has to write his will carefully.

Breiteling was another watch that guy inherited from his father. It was Colt model.

I am mildy curious why the Submariner is preferred instead of the Glycine?

Because everyone wants to be seen wearing probably the most common watch on the planet :rolleyes:

I love the idea. I wasn't really interested in watches when my son was born, but I'm certainly making up for lost time now. In my case I know he's going to get a number of 6497/8 based watches. He currently loves pulling my arm to see what's on it and then putting the watch to his ear to hear it tick.

My first suggestion is to get something that you will actually wear, not something that's going to sit in a watch box or safe deposit box for 18 years. If you can wear the same watch every day for 18 years so much the better, but just wear it enough so he associates the watch with you, not just as some investment to pawn. That would be the only reason I might not pick a Glycine Airman 7 - I rarely need to keep track of four seperate time zones. Perhaps some of the other Airman models might be a better choice.

Any I do think that a Glycine is a fantastic watch company. They've been around for years and have produced a number of watches that are unique to them. There are also many vintage Glycines available that are very reasonably priced. I'll admit that I first discovered then because they have a nice collection of larger watches, and I'm very happy that I did.

BTW, have a talk with your wife about wanting to run out and purchase a watch the minute your child is born. After you return from the ER, let us know what she thinks of that idea. :o

Thanks for all the responses, gives me something to think about. Few things:

I'm definitely not going to just buy a watch, lock it away, and pass it on in the future. Main reason for not wanting a dress watch (that, and the $$$).

I planned on keeping the watch until he was grown up, say 18, 21, depends. Plans may change, but we're not talking 50-60 years down the road. Not that it matters that much, if he has any of my values then he won't care much about what's in style and what's not. He'll just wear whatever he likes. Or something like that. I'd still like to get something that's a bit of a classic style, nothing too "out there."

I wear my (rep) Glycine Airman 7 a couple times a month right now. My daily beater is a GMT Master II. Now, it would be a Submariner, but both of mine have issues. And I may wear the Glycine more often, if it was a bit higher quality and was water-resistant like the GMT Master is (date's just a bit too far to the left, the two small dials keep perfect time but the other is a bit off, the GMT hand is completely non-functional, it moves but not once around every 24 hours, etc.). Now, who knows for sure if it'd be my daily beater if it was a genuine? I KNOW I can wear a Submariner-style every day, but I really love wearing the Glycine.

Oh, and as to how many times I'd really need to know the time in four separate timezones...not often, but it sure would have been handy on our last cruise (in a span of 10-11 days, we probably changed time four or six times, I'd have to check to make sure). The only essential things I need in a watch is an hour hand, a minute hand, and the date. Second hand is nice, everything else is just icing. It's not that often I need to remember what day of the week it is. Once I pass on the watch to my son, I may be old enough to need a watch that can remind me of the day of week, the month, and the year.

Edited by Josetann

You have some good advice from posters here. Rolex Sea Dweller is a good one--I like that suggestion. If you like the Glycine and the GMT II, take a look at the Airman 2000-a Glycine and a GMT. Black/Black Rollie GMT would be cool too, since you like the sub. A bit more expensive, but you can find them gently-used for a decent price. And of course, I would be remiss if I didn't mention my favorite--the Rolex Explorer II.

Good luck, enjoy the new little one, get lots of sleep now and whatever you do, don't make the mistake of telling your wife you're going to grab a Coke in the refreshment room (even if it is 10 steps away) while she's in labor. I did :D and this :Jumpy::bangin::boxing: was her reaction. I suspect I'll be hearing about that one for a long time to come :oops:

Climb on.

We got something in common, I got a Zenith El Primero Rainbow recently... great watch :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Came with a video too! :D

You know I've heard about the video- supposed to be cool. I have rainbow and chronomaster, and there are no other watches which hold a candle to them as far as I am concerned.

Enjoy your watch!!

-O