When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

A budget Comex 5514

Rolexaddict

Starting with a 98$ 5514 Comex from Josh, the only investment was a pair of gen Rolex springbars (5$) and a 8.95$ plexi.

What I did :

- The case high was reduced of about 1mm of thickness to look like a 5513 thinner Sub case. Josh's 5514 uses a 1665 case.

- The rehaut was also reduced as it is to hight

- Lug holes are drilled to accept gen springbars

- I adapted a PA 462-67 plexi from OFrei which has been rounded and complete repolished to look like a dome

- Reworked crownguards -not to much- according what I have seen in vintage shops

- The ugly fat crown was reduced and the tube screwed deaper to match

- Vintage lume job on dial and hands

- Home made pearl (a drop of epoxy mixed with lume pigments, once hardened I coated with crystal epoxy)

I came back from a second short trip in Thailand, the watch was 5 meters deap with me in apnea and around 40 meters deep with a friend who dives with bottles there

TOTAL COST :

1 watch ....................... 98.00 usd

shipping ...................... 35.00 usd

1 plexi ....................... 8.95 usd

1 pair of Rolex springbars .... 5.00 usd

Elbow oil ..................... 00.00 usd (took a little time...)

Grand total ................... 146.95 usd

The watch look o.k for me, I did everything just by feeling and observing gens, not a great work, you can put critics and comments, no problem, I know is not perfect and here there are many moders with better eyes and skills than me,

Just keep in mind its only a play which cost me only around 150$

Pics are not really good to enhance the watch, but it give you an idea

comex01.jpg

comex02.jpg

comex03.jpg

comex04.jpg

comex05.jpg

comex06.jpg

I tried with a Tudor insert

comex07.jpg

Also with a leather strap

comex08.jpg

Edited by Rolexaddict

Looks great, but I think you need to flatten the upper curves of the lugs (the area above the springbar holes) to match the curvature of a Sub case. Although you have done a great job reducing the height of the case, the shape of the top of the lugs (when viewed from the side) still looks more like a Seadweller than a Sub

Rolex-Submariner-5513-65-10.jpg

Compare to your case

comex03.jpg

Also, you may want to replace your bezel, which also looks more like a (thicker) Seadweller bezel.

Thanks guys for your nice comments !

Looks great, but I think you need to flatten the upper curves of the lugs (the area above the springbar holes) to match the curvature of a Sub case. Although you have done a great job reducing the height of the case, the shape of the top of the lugs (when viewed from the side) still looks more like a Seadweller than a Sub

Rolex-Submariner-5513-65-10.jpg

Compare to your case

comex03.jpg

Also, you may want to replace your bezel, which also looks more like a (thicker) Seadweller bezel.

Thanks also freddy for your positive critic,

You pointed out exactly the 2 visual flaws :

First point :

I forgot to mention I had also removed around 0.5mm by filing the bottom of the bezel ring. But it is still to hight, I cannot remove more metal as I would ruin the bottom limit of the retaining spring groove

The only solution would be to by a complete set of retaining ring and sub bezel from VSO, but it cost the price of the entire watch...

Second point :

Yes, you are right about the curve of the lug top.

For the story, I bought 2 watches. The first one I got -I think- the right sub side visual profile. But I think -imho- I removed to much material from the crownguards, especially from the bottom, also I thought it was to pointy. So I considered this job as missed, then I started again with the second case, removing less material from the crownguards and without grinding the top of the lugs

pics of the first case I have modified :

com01.jpg

com02.jpg

com03.jpg

If you think this case is better, I will switch

Well done, RA! I like the bargain builds.

Thanks D.

I will send you a pm to give you news !

Very nice RA...I also have a Josh 5514 that I am going to work on, but I am still in the hunt for a good dial!

difficult...

I would say, stay with Yuki, avoid NDT, they are just Gentlemen Scammers :lol:

and the reality : my older brother was a commercial in the Comex company from 1968 to 1976. 5513 dials contract with the Comex stamp was limited to around 150 pieces... so, wat americans try to impose to you is [censored], Ebay americans Rolex parts dealer are 99.99% scammers selling fake.

Rolex is European and belongs to European culture. Period.

• 3 months later...