When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What is next on your "to buy" list and why?...

Dave123

I haven't really got any vintage pieces yet and I have taken a strong liking to the rollies lately. Also, I am really liking the look of the domed plexi. So I think I am going to have to try one out.

I'm saving my money for a DRSD... I agree with you, krpster, I am being drawn to the fancy dome!

If a Graham Chronofighter were to fall from the sky though, I may have to scoop it up... :bangin:

A gen 105.012-65 Speedy with Cal. 321 movement, one of the new 42mm Planet Oceans with 8500 movement or a 16520 El Primero project... choices, choices :black_eye:

Most likely I'll be stuck with getting a Phong 6265 case and hunting for a gen bezel for my Cosmograph, though. The crown position and engravings are really getting on my nerves lately...

DSN fifty fathoms! I'm waiting and waiting for one to come up for sale, but they seldom do.

Probablly i'll have to order from DSN himself. Can't decide on which model though. I was thinking because of the obvious flaws in the rep, i'd get the tr900- anyone in the know would recognize it's heritage, and to anyone else it's another watch. Then again, I like the consumer milspec, so really I should get that one. Then I want a NOS tropic strap to complete the look. Hard to come by indeed.

As far as my first not inherited gen, I want this sinn

903H4Strap.jpg

Probably wont be able to afford it for a few years (i'm a student).

Edit: Dave, doesn't the bezel font bother you? the rest of the watch is great. Suppose you were to buy the gen, could you get breitling to fit another bezel (if you paid of course)?

Edited by urbanshogun

Really fancy the new Blacksteel Blackbird!!

Love the SS BlackBird and love my ASBS, so figure this has to be worth a try!!

Prolly a bit on the small side for you Dave, but it sounds real nice!!

Sixx :bones:

Good question. I have a Tudor MC being worked on and will probably finish it up in a few months. Other than that, I am very pleased with my current collection. I have a new 6 slot watch box from that Rainer group buy and it is currently full so I want to start following a policy that it will always be only 6 watches. Problem is, I don't know which one I would want to sell if I had to move one :(

Of course, I could always move my custom Bulova that I rebuilt and store it in it's own case :D But I will have to do that anyways to make room for the Monte Carlo. Decisions, decisions!!!

IMG00169-20110418-2247.jpg

Good question. I have a Tudor MC being worked on and will probably finish it up in a few months. Other than that, I am very pleased with my current collection. I have a new 6 slot watch box from that Rainer group buy and it is currently full so I want to start following a policy that it will always be only 6 watches. Problem is, I don't know which one I would want to sell if I had to move one :(

Of course, I could always move my custom Bulova that I rebuilt and store it in it's own case :D But I will have to do that anyways to make room for the Monte Carlo. Decisions, decisions!!!

IMG00169-20110418-2247.jpg

Red-what's that Regulator in the first row? IWC?

Best,J

Can't believe its been well over tow years since my last watch purchase. I'm keeping my eyes open for a used Graham Diver (Dave, you shoulda sold me yours!!), but also have my eyes set on this interesting replica...

gibson-les-paul-jimmy-page-signature-custom-shop-7bf9c.jpg

gibson-les-paul-jimmy-page-signature-custom-shop-90111.jpg

or possibly this...

es-335-white-gibson-jazz-electric-guitar-f0859.jpg

or maybe even this...

1.jpg

Edited by andreww

As you can probably tell, I'm an Alex Lifeson fan. I agree with you, but I really love Alex's white 355 and this is actually a 335. Its still nice but isn't exactly my "dream" axe. The doubleneck is close to Alex's, but his has a much shorter headstock on the 12 string. This is more like Jimmy Pages model. The Les Paul would probably be the best option for me at this point as Alex has started playing them exclusively, and many of the artists that I tend to play (Page, Slash, Rick Neilson, etc) are all using Les Pauls.

I've heard a lot of people talk about avoiding rep guitars, but from what I have been able to discover, these reps are built using mostly Epiphone parts. It is highly likely that the entire guitar is built by the same company that is manufacturing Epiphones for Gibson. They look to be pretty nicely made, and at under $400, I don't think I can go overly wrong.

Has to be worth a shot at that kind of money for sure!! Classic Les Paul is just that, classic!!

I have always liked the Gretch that Izzy Stradlin played, he had a white one with off white paisley on it. Tyla from the Dogs D'amour has a gorgeous purple one that I've had a play with!

That sounds very sweet!! I've played Neil Peart's drums and had a twang on one of Geddy's basses, but Alex wasn't there at the time and I don't like touching something so personal to someone without them being there.

It too was a Les Paul if I remember rightly, it was an ocean blue with a sparkle through it from what I remember!

Yeah, he's ditched the PRS guitars for now and is using Gibsons exclusively. He takes about a half dozen Les Pauls on the road, a couple of bursts, a black one, a gold top, and a few "new" colored ones. He always pulls out the 355 though as that is the guitar he was using when they recorded their classics. If you listen to A Farwell to Kings you'll hear how sweet and distinct the tone is.

BTW, just finished reading Slash's autobiography and was surprise to learn that in the days leading up to the recording of Appetite for Destruction, Slash had sold off all his decent guitars for drug money. He was very worried because his solo sessions were fast approaching and he didn't own a decent sounding Axe. His manager at the time walked in with a Replica 59 Les Paul and the rest is history. Slash still uses that rep to this day for recording, as it sounds better than any guitar he has ever owned.

I'm pretty sure Alex still uses that wee coin he has as a plectrum too, I've always thought that has given his playing a very distinct sound, even among other similer guitars!!

Slash loves that Les Paul, I read something in a magazine about it years ago. He said it had the grindiest noise of any guitar he had ever played and loved it, hence why he still plays it now!

One of the new G n' R guitarists, DJ Ashba, has some cool custom guitars, google his name and it should come up with some pics of his work! He told me that Axl actually tried to steal Slash's 59 when they broke up because it was the sound of Guns n' Roses. I've been friends with DJ for a good while and he has no reason to lie about it and it certainly sounds like something Axl would have done back then!!

DJ is a class act!! I met him about 5 or 6 years ago through Tommy and Nikki. Awesome wee guy and just one of those amazing musicians who can play pretty much everything. Makes you sick!! lol

Here's a couple of vids from Sixx:AM, the band he's in with Nikki.

Oh, and just to make it watch related, DJ is wearing an AP and James (the singer) is wearing a PAM!! Nikki is wearing his usual Dave123 diamond rep! ;)