When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

MBW Red Sub Project

BGGodwin

One and all! It's with great pleasure to present my MBW 1680 thus far. The watch came out of Bill's immense collection with some handy work of fellow member Justin B. It has a gen crown and tube and what is believed to be a gen crystal (but it is not confirmed... :g: ). Looking for your honest opinions... as you can see, I still have some plans for it yet!

DSC_2754-1.jpg

DSC_2758-1.jpg

DSC_2759-1.jpg

DSC_2764-1.jpg

DSC_2766-1.jpg

DSC_2769-1.jpg

Personally, I think the date wheel font is skinny but maybe it's just me? If that's the case, that is the next item on the list of things to do followed shortly by some luming bringing me to my next question... I want a more vintage lume but I don't want it to be over the top. Anyone have pictures/suggestions of what route to go?

Thanks! :good:

I'd probably address the CG's first and foremost. And then swap the insert out. Dial/hands (lume color and tone) to follow and depending on how far you want to take it, maybe swap the movement as well, addressing the datewheel at that time.

The tough thing about MBWs and 1680s is that the opening for the dial is a bit on the small side. But those cases do work well for 5512 and 5513 models...

I know of only 1 thing that could make this better...having it on my wrist! I can PM you my shipping address too.

:pimp:

:lol: best compliment I could get!

I'd probably address the CG's first and foremost. And then swap the insert out. Dial/hands (lume color and tone) to follow and depending on how far you want to take it, maybe swap the movement as well, addressing the datewheel at that time.

The tough thing about MBWs and 1680s is that the opening for the dial is a bit on the small side. But those cases do work well for 5512 and 5513 models...

Do you do the CG work? I've heard good things about your work! And I will probably end up buying one of your date wheels from another member who offered me one!

This is just fun for me - I love to see the enthusiasm.

I get impatient with the something for nothing, niggardly (just to be clear, that's a bona fide word with no racist implications) pikers, but anytime someone is willing to fairly pay for the work some of these people do -- you cannot help but enjoy that.

Ben is going to create an heirloom.

Bill

It already has a gen crown and the holes are drilled.

Any word on where to get a pearl? That should be on the list, too!

Ofrei has nice pearls, and of course you can't beat a genuine. As far as lume, I personally don't like the really dark, brownish orange lume or the yellow that comes on most rep vintage dials.

Here is mine old school "Polex Design" MBW. Vintage lume with some nice glow.

IMG_6081a.jpg

Great looking watch. I don't want the brownish, either... nice off white perhaps!

Yo Ben, you're making me want that watch back.

Screw that slight vintage lume - if it was gen, it would be toally dead and who would have it relumed slightly.

Make that thing glow like a torch. I love mine!

I could hold my arm up in the theater and a fellow in the back row could announce the time.

Ziggy did a fabulous job on everything he did for me.

Bill

Yo Ben, you're making me want that watch back.

Screw that slight vintage lume - if it was gen, it would be toally dead and who would have it relumed slightly.

Make that thing glow like a torch. I love mine!

I could hold my arm up in the theater and a fellow in the back row could announce the time.

The Zigmeister did a fabulous job on everything he did for me.

Bill

Ha, get the watch back, good one! :lol:

believe me, I want it to glow.. I want astronauts to be able to tell the time from space looking at my watch! Can I have the best of both worlds: vintage looks, torch functionality? That would be ideal!

The Zigmeister custom blends the daylight lume color to anything you want. So with new brilliantly glowing lume, you can have the daylight color which looks like aged tritium.

Have Bill introduce you to him .. he's been taking clients by referral ONLY for a few months now. Too many forum members were wasting his time and he shut the door.

I do - The Zigmeister did several for me, including the one I am wearing. GREAT lume. Vac is about to do a Pam for me - I'll post pics.

Bill

Bingo! That's exactly what I want... the look of vintage with the brightness of new lume!

The Zigmeister custom blends the daylight lume color to anything you want. So with new brilliantly glowing lume, you can have the daylight color which looks like aged tritium.

Have Bill introduce you to him .. he's been taking clients by referral ONLY for a few months now. Too many forum members were wasting his time and he shut the door.

Does Vac do it, too? Isn't The Zigmeister unavilable for a while or something?

Does Vac do it, too? Isn't The Zigmeister unavilable for a while or something?

Zig comes and goes. He has a real day job, as well as being a watch maker / modder .. the only way to know if he is available is to email him with your needs, and his assistant gets back to you with the reply.