When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My 1016

sly

Here's my 1016 finally done, But she's never done until she gets a gen. dial & a 1570. I have a gen dial offer from a well respected member when it comes to 1016 and I have a spare 1570 but other projects are occupying my time and money as of now. As usual forgive my iphone pics.

Yuki dial & hands

Clarks crystal

Gen. 1601 case

Gen. crown & tube

Gen. spec custom 1016 bezel

ETA 2846

post-28963-0-29242200-1303665623.jpg

post-28963-0-55249000-1303665638.jpg

post-28963-0-74241700-1303665651.jpg

Thanks M, Where can i find those spring bars. Also, I had to get the dremel out to fit the endlinks. Is there a correct endlink that i should use or is it because I have 1601 case.

In the past I've used an Australian supplier of "genuine" 1016 springbars (i.e. #23-9293, rather than the Submariner's #23-9291). Expensive, but they're the only ones I can find with the correctly wide pivots. Yuki carries a cheaper set, but with narrower pivots; they would have fit undrilled 1601 holes.

The 80 endlinks of my Yuki 7206 were a very tight, flush fit on my 1601 case. They didn't need to be bent, trimmed, or modified in any way. So the x80s work, but you may want to try endlinks from the x58 series.

What's up with the Yuki Explorer dials and that "floating" 6?

It's not just the 6. The 3 and 9 are also being sucked in by the gravitational pull of the enlarged ROLEX text! What sucks is that Yuki used to have some of the best Explorer dials on the market, but then they changed suppliers about 1-2 years ago.

more reasons why you should immediately convert your 1601: 1) It's the literary James Bond watch2) Matt Damon wears one

1. When I hear James Bond in connection to the Explorer, I always think of the online debates involving the unpleasant Dell Deaton. Ugh.

2. MAAATTT DAAAMON!!!

well I've only read about how it's connected to James Bond online, so it probably came from the same source. I kind of suspect that Rolex was only adopted in Ian Fleming's much later novels, when fans probably convince him that Rolex was the brand for James bond. Regardless, it was also Ian Fleming's personal watch that he bought in 1962 and I would want one because it was Ian's choice. Since it was bought it in 1962, it should have a gilt dial hmm... :g:

well I've only read about how it's connected to James Bond online, so it probably came from the same source. I kind of suspect that Rolex was only adopted in Ian Fleming's much later novels, when fans probably convince him that Rolex was the brand for James bond. Regardless, it was also Ian Fleming's personal watch that he bought in 1962 and I would want one because it was Ian's choice. Since it was bought it in 1962, it should have a gilt dial hmm... :g:

I'm inclined to believe that Sir Ian the literary James Bond did have a 1016 or earlier model Explorer. However...

My problem with Deaton is how he conducts himself on the forums. I don't see anything wrong with obsessing over what is ultimately trivia, but DD acts like a fanatical guardian of secret knowledge. If questioned, he dodges, obfuscates, and asks for threads to be locked. When cornered, he gets vicious and personal, all while bludgeoning readers with the fact that HIS articles were published in magazines.

DD seems to prize "Firsties!" and his self-appointed Bond Watch Expert status above all else, even if it means pissing off scores of people who thought they were just having a friendly discussion over what is -I stress it again- trivia. You'd think he'd single-handedly developed the polio vaccine...

Apologies to sly for the off-topic rant!