When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

5512 or 5513...

BGGodwin

I'm wondering if a 5512 or 5513 is in my future. The more I see of them around here, the more I like them: the dome crystal, clean-looking dials...

So, first of all, which one? Is one "better" than the other? Ultimately, I'd want to add gen part to it which leads me into my next question: where should I look to get one? I know Josh sells them but know nothing of their quality. And can they accept gen parts. Or am I better off looking on the for sale forum? Any information (and pictures) are greatly appreciated as always?

Edited by BGGodwin

In the case of the gens, the 5512 is chronometer rated, while the 5513 is not.

In the case of reps, the only difference is the additional text on the 5512 dial denoting the 5512's chronometer rating. With reps, it comes down to whether you prefer more or less text on the dial. Otherwise, the cases/movements/bracelets are the same.

I do not know which, if any, of the dealers' reps accept gen parts. For that, you may need to spend a bit more & build your own (buy a case, dial, movement, handset, etc & put it all together (or pay a watchmaker to assemble it for you)).

I have a 5512 from Josh and at under $100 it's good "bang for the buck". The major glaring issue (to me) is the stubby CGs. I "trimmed" the crown in the lathe and enlarged the lug holes and I think it's totally "wearable". Since this pic I also put on a slightly better crystal as well.

5512 1.JPG

I have a 5512 from Josh and at under $100 it's good "bang for the buck". The major glaring issue (to me) is the stubby CGs. I "trimmed" the crown in the lathe and enlarged the lug holes and I think it's totally "wearable". Since this pic I also put on a slightly better crystal as well.

5512 1.JPG

I have this same exact watch with the same mods,other than a gen crown and tube. This watch will take a gen crystal and also has gen bezel construction. Too bad about the small cg's, other than that... I really love the watch

• 4 months later...

I prefer the 5512(gen at least if I could find one) based on the chronometre rating alone. It is also the "real" McQueen watch. Double whamy in my book.

The Josh case is not bad and has a nice thick case back as well. The CGs can be trimmed and the "meat" between them shaved down a bit. Makes it so much better. JMB did something like that.

E

I love my 5513

GAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!! *clutching chest*

You have to stop doing that to me! My heart can't take it! Please, for the love of God, issue a disclaimer before you post photos of that beauty. :tu:

• 3 weeks later...

Hi buddy I'm quite new to the vintage subs but is that dial gen? As it has lume surround round lume markers, if it's not gen where did you purchase from as I've looked at all of joshed vintage subs and they all have flat markers without surrounds. Hope I am Clare enough.

Cheers

Ry

Sorry Ry, just saw this post.

The lume is round but no surrounds. This was an early (5+ years back) Ingod dil from ebay.