When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Finised Vintage 1675 with Gen dial Relume by The Zigmeister

cib0rgman

I am in need of advice, I want to finish this project before this month ends. I am very close to do it but I need some help and advice on how to complete the last mile. It has been very rewarding form the start this my first that I would to complete from finish to end. this is a GMT 1675 with a true GMT movement ETA 2893, the Stem aligns perfectly so no issues there, I need to stain the hands and glue the Date-Wheel overlay and I will be done. there is one thing that bothers me the whole in the dial look way too big!!

The parts:

Vintage 1655 From Josh

Gen Springbars

After market End links from WSO

Complete Bezel assembly from WSO

Gen Dial

Gen Crown + tube

Cousins Plexi

There is a lot of guys here that already completed one of these so I am looking advice form them, I do not want to re invent the wheel.

1.- How to stain the hands to get a patina close the the Dial color

2.- GMT Wheel or Hour Hand I think is called also, I think the tube or pinion is too short and there no much play in between and squeezes the dial, where to source one

WP_0000762.jpg

WP_0000752.jpg

WP_000074.jpg

WP_0000732.jpg

WP_000072.jpg

WP_000071.jpg

WP_000070-1.jpg

WP_0000692.jpg

1.- How to stain the hands to get a patina close the the Dial color

There are numerous procedures for adding an enhanced patina to hands (including my own, which uses iodine & an oven) that you can locate via the search.

2.- GMT Wheel or Hour Hand I think is called also, I think the tube or pinion is too short and there no much play in between and squeezes the dial, where to source one

The GMT hand platform is wider than the standard hands & should cover the hole.

Its a very very easy fix my friend, just name your price and pm me your pp :)

Amazing watch m8 :)

I Love it myself, I always wanted a vintage GMT but did want to spent a fortune. this is as close I can get spending less than a third of the price of a GEN or maybe less

thanks

There are numerous procedures for adding an enhanced patina to hands (including my own, which uses iodine & an oven) that you can locate via the search.

The GMT hand platform is wider than the standard hands & should cover the hole.

Freddy; I have a WSO GMT ETA set I was thinking the same and I think it should be wider a tinny bit; anyway I will make work some how. what about the tall hour wheel is that feasible?

Thanks

Ivan

I completed the project last night. It looks pretty except for a couple of things I need to tweak; First the dial is not center if you look at the 12 O'clock marker the edge of the dial shows is very tricky to center the dial because the case is a tad too big for the dial so is a tedious process, I cut the stem too short and now I can not wind the watch I cannot believe that messed up there and last the I need to bend the GMT hand a little bit because is marker are a puff I think that is the word after it was relumed and then it slow down the movement of the GMT hand. I used Soy sauce to stained the hand and a couple of minutes in the oven, I think they look o.k., I am very pleased with the end result.

WP_000083.jpg

I like the end result!!! She's a beaut! Great job C!

I agree with you my friend is a beauty, this is my first ever project that I completed from start to finish by myself of I have to mention that The Zigmeister did the Lume job which is fantastic.

:thumbsupsmileyanim:

The Date Window / Date Wheel look great. What DW did you use? Also, what hands did you use?

For the Date-Wheel I used the old one that came with the Asian 1655, the Hand are from WSO. I could have a better result if I have a GMT with a extended tube hole not sure how to explain; so it will sit taller and grab the Hour wheel better,

great job, congrats cib0rgman,

The 1675 is the more difficult vintage Rolex to replicate.

it was not easy I tell you. I spent around $900 this because i used a ETA True GMT movement and and Gen Dial otherwise can be done for cheap. Now I will start a non crown guard GMT.

Cheers

Looks good!!!

Try a differrent 24hr hand. Most of them have a larger circle of metal around the canon pin to cover the bigger hole in the dial.

I hear you the problem is that there not many choices an WSO is kind of the only right now which sucks, maybe if I do a Franken Gen but it will be expensive.

Thank

Beautiful GMT, c! It makes me want to join the Pepsi People feelin' free! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Thanks, this would not be possible without the advice of the people in these Forum. Thanks to you all who gave me advice.