When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Would you ever wear a vintage 6239 Daytona as a daily beater?

kdspiv

And if you were going to use one as a beater.....which movement would you want.

Factor in that I would perform a full service and mod the movement as needed so if your first choice is a 7750 over the seagull then no problem.

And if you were going to use one as a beater.....which movement would you want.

Factor in that I would perform a full service and mod the movement as needed so if your first choice is a 7750 over the seagull then no problem.

My cardiologist wears a gen that belonged to his father. He is an avid fly fisherman and duck hunter. As far as I know it is the only watch he owns.

I would wear it on a daily basis, for sure, but I don't attempt to pass my reps off as gens. If I am asked, I say it is a rep. If I was trying to pull it off as a gen, I would only wear it on special occasions, as freddy said.

I have the seagull version vintage Daytona and really like it. The only thing that bugs me is the placement of the subdial at 6. Otherwise, I quite like the rep. I don't care that the subdial at 6 is faux. The seagull movement is a very, very nice movement- about as nice a movement as you can get in an out of the box rep IMHO.

I believe the seagull would be much more reliable than the 7750 version, even a serviced 7750. I have read many threads on this forum and others concerning the DW or Spin 7750 versions, and I get the sense that the 7750 version, although visually superior to the seagull version, is not exactly bullet-proof and requires time, patience, money and a good watchsmith. I have had bad luck with 7750 movements in some of my other reps, so I will admit to being biased against the 7750 in general. However, I would not let a 7750 keep me from buying a watch I really wanted, I would just lower my expectations in terms of reliability and the need for servicing and repairs. If you are talking about a DW or Spin 7750, you are on the right track. If you are looking at a 7750 version that is not from DW or Spin, I would not bother.

So, do you want accurate looks, or better reliability? I can see arguments for both, particularly if you are using it is a daily driver, but it also depends on if you are passing it off as a gen. I would be careful about trying to pass off the seagull version as a gen, especially to a knowledgeable Rolex person as the subdial placement at 6 is a pretty obvious tell. I would personally take the seagull version if I wanted to wear it on a daily basis. If I was only wearing from time to time, I would take a Spinmaster 7750. Having said that, there are some extremely knowledgeable vintage Daytona people on this forum such as freddy, lhooq, sqpl and others that can give you better advice than me, as I only own the seagull (I did have a 7750 vintage daytona that was not from DW or Spin and sold it after it failed on me twice, even after service).

Just my two cents.

Cheers

Edited by ugoderosa

I have to say honestly that I really wouldn't care to try and pass it off as a gen. The vast, vast majority of people would just see a Rolex...period. If they knew enough about watches to know the specific model no. then odds are they will know enough to be able to spot it as a fake.

I LOVE the vintage style of these particular watches as well as vintage style mechanical and electronic items in general. This watch just sort of suits me and my particular tastes. That being said, I would like a nice balance of accuracy in looks and over all reliability. I know a good balance of both is possible (at a price I'm sure) by using genuine v23 or 72 movments. And since my fiance is forcing me to sell some of my vintage audio equipment to fund my newfound watch desires, I want to make sure and get/build exactly what I want.

So basically I am trying to decide if I want to put my funds unto a BK sub for daily use and build an accurate but possibly fragile vintage daytona. Or, invest all of my funds into the vintage daytona and eventually upgrade it to as many gen parts as possible.

Also, I figure the sale of the MX should put me at around a$ 1500 budget to build it initially. I am not sure how much this figures into my question but I am sure it does alot.

I am pretty capable at servicing my own movements or have access to family who is most certainly capable at repair. I do shudder to think what they will think of helping me with an asian 7750 knock off movment. If I was to spend the money on replacing a a7750 with a swiss 7750, I might as well pony up the extra funds for a genuine V23. But then again, having an A775 that is serviced and reliable takes away any stress of damaging a watch with many expensive parts in and on it.

Ahhh..decisions!

I would wear it

on a daily basis, for sure, but I don't attempt to pass my reps off as gens. If I am asked, I say it is a rep. If I was trying to pull it off as a gen, I would only wear it on special occasions, as freddy said.

I have the seagull version vintage Daytona and really like it. The only thing that bugs me is the placement of the subdial at 6. Otherwise, I quite like the rep. I don't care that the subdial at 6 is faux. The seagull movement is a very, very nice movement- about as nice a movement as you can get in an out of the box rep IMHO.

I believe the seagull would be much more reliable than the 7750 version, even a serviced 7750. I have read many threads on this forum and others concerning the DW or Spin 7750 versions, and I get the sense that the 7750 version, although visually superior to the seagull version, is not exactly bullet-proof and requires time, patience, money and a good watchsmith. I have had bad luck with 7750 movements in some of my other reps, so I will admit to being biased against the 7750 in general. However, I would not let a 7750 keep me from buying a watch I really wanted, I would just lower my expectations in terms of reliability and the need for servicing and repairs. If you are talking about a DW or Spin 7750, you are on the right track. If you are looking at a 7750 version that is not from DW or Spin, I would not bother.

So, do you want accurate looks, or better reliability? I can see arguments for both, particularly if you are using it is a daily driver, but it also depends on if you are passing it off as a gen. I would be careful about trying to pass off the seagull version as a gen, especially to a knowledgeable Rolex person as the subdial placement at 6 is a pretty obvious tell. I would personally take the seagull version if I wanted to wear it on a daily basis. If I was only wearing from time to time, I would take a Spinmaster 7750. Having said that, there are some extremely knowledgeable vintage Daytona people on this forum such as freddy, lhooq, sqpl and others that can give you better advice than me, as I only own the seagull (I did have a 7750 vintage daytona that was not from DW or Spin and sold it after it failed on me twice, even after service).

Just my two cents.

Cheers

Edited by kdspiv

If I was to spend the money on replacing a a7750 with a swiss 7750, I might as well pony up the extra funds for a genuine V23.

With the prices of V23s being what they are right now, I don't think they make financial sense as a compromise between a 7750 and a V72. Especially since the repair/service costs are similar.

...invest all of my funds into the vintage daytona and eventually upgrade it to as many gen parts as possible.

Why put gen parts in a rep? Remember the old saying: "Reps are reps and gens are gens and never the twain shall meet."

Well, I feel differently. I don't want any gen parts touching my reps. If I wanted gen I'd buy gen. If I owned a gen I wouldn't swap in rep parts. I don't know, the whole idea of mixing rep & gen is distasteful to me. It's like a girl with one real breast and one fake.

Why put gen parts in a rep? Remember the old saying: "Reps are reps and gens are gens and never the twain shall meet."

Disagree 100%. The Frankens here @ RWG are stellar watches. This is also driven by the "Vintage" desire where the REPS simply can not compete and you need to Franken them up.

By your logic, many of the GEN makers use ETA movements. Many of our Reps use the same ETA movements, so should we only buy the 21J version?

Disagree 100%. The Frankens here @ RWG are stellar watches. This is also driven by the "Vintage" desire where the REPS simply can not compete and you need to Franken them up.

By your logic, many of the GEN makers use ETA movements. Many of our Reps use the same ETA movements, so should we only buy the 21J version?

Excellent point. My first reps were all basic reps with Asian ETAs. As I explored this hobby more, I realized that a few mods add an enormous amount to the overall feel of the watch. Some of the items I see in the for sale section simply blow me away at times and if I had more money to spend, I would probably buy a Ton of the Franken that I see. They look Nd feel amazing.

But again, to each their own. To those who prefer to own a bunch of 21j, so be it. As long as they're happy, we will continue to strive for something more.

I'm off to enjoy my Frankens.

Well, I feel differently. I don't want any gen parts touching my reps. If I wanted gen I'd buy gen. If I owned a gen I wouldn't swap in rep parts. I don't know, the whole idea of mixing rep & gen is distasteful to me. It's like a girl with one real breast and one fake.

I'll be sure to send you pictures of my most recent work-in-progress that I have PBDad working on... you'll be sure to lose your lunch! ;)

Excellent point. My first reps were all basic reps with Asian ETAs. As I explored this hobby more, I realized that a few mods add an enormous amount to the overall feel of the watch. Some of the items I see in the for sale section simply blow me away at times and if I had more money to spend, I would probably buy a Ton of the Franken that I see. They look Nd feel amazing.

But again, to each their own. To those who prefer to own a bunch of 21j, so be it. As long as they're happy, we will continue to strive for something more.

I'm off to enjoy my Frankens.

To defend the rep purist, I do see his point. He's not saying that to buy a 21J watch only an be happy with it. Though it may seem in his last post that one should buy a gen watch and part it out for a rep, which, does happen, but hardly a common occurrence.