When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Iwc Group Buy, El Closes The Gap.....!

Richard Tracy

• Replies 510
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh dear, the tracking of my IWC states non delivery 1st attempt ude to "importation restriction" dated 4th Nov!!!???? What does that mean? They will send the watch back? Confiscate? Any idea guys? Thks....am worried. :unsure::unsure::unsure::mellow:

Good news, postal customs released the 'package' and my wife picked it up yesterday. Unfortunately, I am away at the moment and will only return home this weekend. Can't wait! :bicycle::bleh::yeah:

My concern is about the cost to send the watch and forth and the labor cost to replace the dial with The Zigmeister?

How much would this going set me back? at the end there is no saving for me from this GB.

Dave,.. If I were you, unless I were in Canada, I would not send to The Zigmeister, but find some

local person,... Dial replacements are a simple and cheap fix, that mostly any watchsmith

can do.

Regarding the savings,,.. don't forget that you could have ended up with the

same dial, outside of the GB, then, every penny you spent would be on top of

the full retail price....

As of now however, you have plenty of room to play with, to still come out on top... ^_^

Stay positive bro.... keep your chin up... ;)

I hadn't hear anything, so I requested a tracking number from Jay on Saturday. On Sunday he replied with a tracking number and an apology for not sending it earlier. A quick check revealed that my parcel was shipped on Saturday and by late Sunday had already cleared customs in San Francisco.

Alas, I was working at home Monday, but the wife was at home on Tuesday, so of course the watch arrived on Tuesday. Usually I try to "glide" new watches into the collection, but no chance of that now.

In any case, I arrived home from work Tuesday afternoon and found a lovely parcel from China waiting for me. My wife had signed for it while I was at work. I quickly unpack the wrappers, and found an absolutely stunning, solid Ingeneur.

After resizing the band, I pulled out the magnifying glass to see whether my watch suffered from the same flaws that others have experienced. (In my opinion we in RWG have created an obsession with perfection that is not always healthy.) I used their photos and descriptions and pored over this watch like a demon skeptic. Damn, I think the dial is slightly out of alignment, though not as severely as other members'. I look for chips, but fortunately find none.

Then I take a few quick pictures.

post-193-1162945686_thumb.jpg

I apologize for not doing color correction or setting up better quality pictures. But when I scan my pictures, I can't find the alignment problems that I thought I saw using the magnifying glass. Or if there is a misalignment, it is very, very hard to detect. In the end I have to admit that the dial alignment is quite good.

So then I scanned the picture for other flaws. Again, I apologize for my amateurish pictures, but each fleck or potential flaw ends up being a defect of the photography, not the watch itself.

On top of that, the wife arrived home while I was typing this message -- and even she decided that this is a terrific purchase!

My thanks once again to Richard and to Jay.

Life is good.

Hard to tell if there are chips from that picture, but if you don't see them with a loupe then I would think it doesn't really matter...

And the numbers seem to line up with the markers but it does look a little like the whole thing is counter clockwise 1 degree or so... I would think the red line should divide the 6 and the 0 but it could well not be that way and I would think that would be about as hard to notice as chips that you can't see with a loupe...

I think overall that's pretty darn nice and if your wife likes it... then hot damn!

post-3411-1162947879_thumb.jpg

Edited by Devedander

Hard to tell if there are chips from that picture, but if you don't see them with a loupe then I would think it doesn't really matter...

And the numbers seem to line up with the markers but it does look a little like the whole thing is counter clockwise 1 degree or so...

Yes, and the good newz is that without any chips, I believe he only has to open his watch,

and align the movement a touch and he's got his perfect Ingen....

That is if this Iwc has the same set up as the Gst... ^_^

No chips. And as for adjusting alignment by 1 degree, I'd be very hard pressed to make an adjustment that minute. If the alignment on the hour markers (1,2,4....) was visibly off, then I would be concerned, but the look spot on to my middle-aged eyes.

Actually I have found one annoyance since I started wearing this watch yesterday. The clasp on the bracelet opens far too easily, often unintentionally. I don't recall if others have run into or reported this problem.

I haven't had any problems with my GST, which has the same type of closure. Of course the Ingeneur bracelet is wider, which should make no difference.

Links on both bracelets are about 4 mm thick, but when closed the bracelet on the GST is 5 mm thick (that includes the extensions) and the Ingeneur is 7 mm thick. On closer examination, the difference appears to be that the extensions on the Ing have slightly different curvatures and therefore do not align perfectly when closed (they are perfectly aligned on the GST). The extra 2 mms might be just enough to cause the closure problem. Later I'll see whether I can improve the alignment and whether this solves the problem.

No chips. And as for adjusting alignment by 1 degree, I'd be very hard pressed to make an adjustment that minute. If the alignment on the hour markers (1,2,4....) was visibly off, then I would be concerned, but the look spot on to my middle-aged eyes.

Actually I have found one annoyance since I started wearing this watch yesterday. The clasp on the bracelet opens far too easily, often unintentionally. I don't recall if others have run into or reported this problem.

I haven't had any problems with my GST, which has the same type of closure. Of course the Ingeneur bracelet is wider, which should make no difference.

Links on both bracelets are about 4 mm thick, but when closed the bracelet on the GST is 5 mm thick (that includes the extensions) and the Ingeneur is 7 mm thick. On closer examination, the difference appears to be that the extensions on the Ing have slightly different curvatures and therefore do not align perfectly when closed (they are perfectly aligned on the GST). The extra 2 mms might be just enough to cause the closure problem. Later I'll see whether I can improve the alignment and whether this solves the problem.

Thanks for the information...

Band issues can be a pain, but are easily solved with a pinch, pull or file..

Jkerouac, you probably already know, this, but for those that don't..

I discoverd that a cheap, basic watch tool kit, combined with small needle nose pliers

and a few files, and some cape cod cloths, has saved me a ton of headaches, bringing

my satisfaction with reps to a degree that I have enjoyed with my gens, or even higher,

considering the price differences... ^_^

Regarding the chip found on Talkpenny's dial,....

I am now in the process of hammering out the reasons why this chip slipped past Jay...

The best communication with any dealer has come from him, and I'm sure we will get to

the bottom of this issue to get it ironed out, because the record, to this point, indicates that

Jay would serve best conduit for all future group buys, not only in pre and post customer

service, but in shipping flexibility and connections to new release watches that Honpo usually

receives first.....

Speaking on this last vein, does anyone have any suggestions for new releases that they

would like to see discounts on ?? ;)

Band issues can be a pain, but are easily solved with a pinch, pull or file..

Jkerouac, you probably already know, this, but for those that don't..

I discoverd that a cheap, basic watch tool kit, combined with small needle nose pliers

and a few files, and some cape cod cloths, has saved me a ton of headaches, bringing

my satisfaction with reps to a degree that I have enjoyed with my gens, or even higher,

considering the price differences...

Adjusting the out-of-alignment extension turned out to be a very simple fix -- no tools, just bending slightly with my bare hands. The first adjustment went too far and I couldn't close the clasp at all. I backed it off just a bit and now the clasp closes very securely. I could probably play racquetball for hours and I think it would still stay closed.

And I have all the tools that you list, RT. In fact, I recently sentmy wife the first installment of my Santa Claus/birthday list and the first entry is a cool dremel set from the Home Despot (sic).

If anyone else would like add me to their holiday shopping, I'd be delighted to send you a copy of the list and periodic updates. :)

Looks like Jay is now on top of any QC issue:

Reply from Jay:

"Sorry to hear that. But we have our workers paying extra attention to that. I will replace this watch for u. U are the first and only one reporting this problem to us so far. Sorry for the trouble. Nice day"

Can't say fairer than that so should be no worries for the rest of you guys.

Kenny

Reply from Jay:

"Sorry to hear that. But we have our workers paying extra attention to that. I will replace this watch for u. U are the first and only one reporting this problem to us so far. Sorry for the trouble. Nice day"

Kenny

It's nice to read your post Tallkenny and I'm happy for you :thumbsupsmileyanim:

BTW I'm still waiting for mine from Jay :g:

This is the last tracking info : 9/11/2006 FRANKFURT AIRPORT SHIPPED!

.................... Hoping to wear it this week end!!!??

Reply from Jay:

Kenny

Well at least you have the replacement option Eddie Lee does not have spare for replacement and i am stuck with the watch but h will send me the new dial.

Happy for you

Hi Guys...

My e-mail exchange from Jay regarding hand checking.

> Hello Jay,

>

> One item that we need to address for all,

> which may be creating a slow down of follow through is

> the issue of hand inspections.

>

> After one member posted that his watch from you came

> in with the broken paint on the edge of the dial,

> many people are wondering if they will receive the same

> problem.

>

> Are you performing the personal inspections, or is the

> shipper ??

>

> We need to get past this issue before we can move on.

>

> Thank you

Subject: Re: Weekly Group buys....

Date: Thu, November 9, 2006 10:56 am

Hi Kevin

Yes, we are performing the handpick by ourself. And so far we have got one

report of the chipped paint, but that is the only one case, I believe this

will be last one. We replied to him promptly to replace the defective watch.

I am very unhappy that after we stressed the problem in the beginning with

our workers there is still one watch slipped through our fingers. We have

stopped more 5 watches with this defect already at our checkpoint, but

unfortuantely there is still one got through. Please assure ur group buyers

we are checking carefully and will keep doing it. Now we check other brands

for this defect as well. And also please tell ur group so far tthere is only

one report, after over 10 watches hsipped. Let me know if there is anything

else we could do to assure the buyers. Nice day.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As you can see, Jay is tackling this issue with all his might....

So Please... if anyone has not followed through with his order.. please do so....

the future of group buys is in jeopardy here....

You will find his ordering information below....

Thank You !

^_^

Okay, Please find below ordering information for Jay.

But before, some important info.

He says also that he believes that he can obtain,

the box sets at the same price at EL.

Okay, as for ordering, Jay requests that each of you contact

him direct at "Watch Silix" <silixprime@gmail.com> for your

paypal addresses, as he has set up several for safety.

Speaking on this last vein, does anyone have any suggestions for new releases that they

-PAM187 with ETA 7753

-PAM194 in titanium

-Bell & Ross Instrument 46mm, preferably with genuine orange lume and genuine ETA 2892 movement

Or to get a real cheap deal,

IWC Aquatimer, the one you said is worth $120... I may be on that at that price :)

:thumbsupsmileyanim:

...does anyone have any suggestions for new releases that they

PAM202 Slytech with Ti case

PAM194 with Ti case

PAM165 with Ti/SS

IWC Big Pilot with working power reserve and better date

PAM187 with 7753

and some more :D

Edited by shultz

GREEEAT!

I got today my Ingy from Jay. :3a:

Wonderful piece of art :wub:

No issue found, dial is perfect, hands are OK+++++.

I checked with a magnifier lens but I have not been able to see any defects.

I'm very satsfied of the result of this GB and .....

A BIG THANKS TO RT :thumbsupsmileyanim:

and, of course, thanks to Jay & Angel.

GREEEAT!

I got today my Ingy from Jay. :3a:

Wonderful piece of art :wub:

No issue found, dial is perfect, hands are OK+++++.

I checked with a magnifier lens but I have not been able to see any defects.

I'm very satsfied of the result of this GB and .....

A BIG THANKS TO RT :thumbsupsmileyanim:

and, of course, thanks to Jay & Angel.

Se non mi omaggi di un paio di foto con l'iwc al polso mi offendo!!! :p

Bell'acquisto. :)

Finally got to see my Ingy from EL late last night. I was away for a week and despite a minor delay by customs, the watch was picked up by my missus on 8th Nov.

It is beautifully crafted and very solid. It has a nice heavy feel to it and to my untrained eye, I can't see any significant defects (no magnifying glass) and it works. There may be a small dial misalignment problem but not obvious.

Mine comes with a box set and like the others while the watch tool is included there were no papers. The quality of the box and particularly the printed lettering on the inner cover of the box can be better I suppose...it's blurred! I wonder if EL will send the missing papers? Has EL responded to some of you guys about the missing papers?

BTW, my eyes maybe playing tricks on me but looking at the dial, it seems the Ingeniuer lettering appears as if it is slanting downwards slightly compared to the IWC lettering above. It seems like that looking at the pics of the original as well. Any of you guys feel the same way?

Overall, I am pleased with this deal. Thanks to RT and ... EL as well. Hope he sends the papers though! B)