When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My First Submariner: MBW 5512 4-Line Gilt

lhooq

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the additional comments, all! I'd been missing this one, since my watchsmith has been working on it since Monday. Now it's back with a serviced Sears-Roebuck, and -someone call Pat Robertson- I've finally joined the 700 Club!

New additions: Yuki tube and 7mm Twinlock:

i-dxpdXTV-X3.jpg

• 1 month later...

All of you know how much I love a good rep/gen comparison! I recently stopped by my watchsmith's and stepped into an impromptu get-together for some local collectors. Great turnout of vintage Subs, with more than a few No-Dates in attendance. I wasn't prepared to do the usual angle-for-angle shoot (hence, no separate thread), but I didn't want to miss the opportunity to take a few pictures.

So here they are. Apologies for the harsh overhead lights, but I couldn't find any white umbrellas lying around.

i-PdzGnWD-X3.jpg

i-9wmvbfs-X3.jpg

i-r6fQh8N-X3.jpg

i-hMDLfp7-X3.jpg

i-TjjMNGT-X3.jpg

i-rGkrtNk-X3.jpgi-8Tk5KB9-X3.jpg

Thanks, guys!

red: The color of the insert was a real surprise to me. When I first got the watch, I thought it was more of a charcoal look. But there are certain lights (including sunlight) that really bring out the blue hue. It's terrific, and I'm really glad I didn't pay the $200-300 for a gen insert!

• 3 weeks later...

So if you had to choose between NDT and Yuki ETA dials for a similar project(I know I know) which would you choose?

The Serpico would have been nice for the double-takes, but the NDT is clearly the better replication. If you can spare the extra cash, go with that one.

Poor SyL dial...we'll resurrect that project one day!

The end justifies the means!

:cc_hang: