When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Tropic 127 without cyclops?

Whatever123

On a plexi crystal you can sand down the cyclops to remove it. Obviously being careful, I've used 400 wet sandpaper to take the cyclops just shy of the crystal surface, then 1500 wet sandpaper to finish and blend in. Then polish it all, I use 'Brasso' with terry cloth, and it looks like new. This method was suggested to me by Gary Clark when I needed to relocate the cyclops. I bought a cyclops from Otto Frei and used UV glue to relocate it.

that is what i would sugest as well machine it off and then polish it

OK, I'll do that.

My problem is that I've one of those Trusty 1680s with wrong cyclops alignment. I'd rather see it without cyclops than with the crooked one...

@JoeyB: You said you glued another cylops to the crystal - does ofrei sell plexi/acrylic cyclopses or did you use a glass one? Does it look OK?

OK, I'll do that.

My problem is that I've one of those Trusty 1680s with wrong cyclops alignment. I'd rather see it without cyclops than with the crooked one...

@JoeyB: You said you glued another cylops to the crystal - does ofrei sell plexi/acrylic cyclopses or did you use a glass one? Does it look OK?

Yes, I believe it's glass. Looks perfect. Otto Frei cyclops Different sizes and UV cement listed.

• 2 weeks later...

How long did id take to sand off the cyclops bro? I'm sending my watch to PBdad on Monday and he is going to try a few things to correct this same issue. I would love to see what the watch looks like with an ofrei cyclops.

How long did id take to sand off the cyclops bro? I'm sending my watch to PBdad on Monday and he is going to try a few things to correct this same issue. I would love to see what the watch looks like with an ofrei cyclops.

Didn't take long... about 5 minutes with a Dremel, another 5 with sandpaper and 5 for polishing.

Still thinking about adding a cyclops again... I probably will!

Like everything else, it depends on the installation. The cyclops looks the same as the gen. I'd suggest following the directions using UV cement. It doesn't set until UV rays hit it, so that allows room for 'do-overs'. One drop, centered as best you can on the cyclops, position it on the crystal, light finger press it down, and clean the overages/residue with rubbing alcohol. Once set, if you missed some residue, the alcohol will take that off as well, with just a little effort. I position it and clean it all up after it's set just so I don't move it before hand.

Good job bro....This looks nice. You know one feature I've always noticed about the 1680 is how bold the date is compared to the modern ones. The date fills the window. I'm wondering if the crystal needs to be taken down just a little at the base. Thoughts?

Good job bro....This looks nice. You know one feature I've always noticed about the 1680 is how bold the date is compared to the modern ones. The date fills the window. I'm wondering if the crystal needs to be taken down just a little at the base. Thoughts?

You mean it doesn't look magnified enough atm? Yes, maybe a tiny bit compared to gen pictures I saw. Anyway, it's good enough for me. I'm even not sure if I leave the cyclops on the crystal, I actually liked it better without I think...