When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Omega Smp Chrono And Bezel Alignment

ryaku

I'm going to purchase the new SMP chrono and being aware of the alignment issue i was wondering if it's an easy fix.

I'm afraid fixes are two:

- bezel alignment

- remove and stick back in the correct position the blue bezel insert

I'm worried about latter fix. :huh:

Replica:

134270-18521.jpg

Genuine:

134270-18522.jpg

It`s an easy fix.

Just use a hairdryer and heat the bezel up. When the glue is somewhat liquified you use something pointy and sharp to lift the bezelinsert up, take the insert out. Then turn the bezel in the best possible way (lining up wit the 12/3/6/9/ marker) and put the insert back in, using a bit of superglue (use a little amount).

And Bob`s your uncle. :D

It`s an easy fix.

Just use a hairdryer and heat the bezel up. When the glue is somewhat liquified you use something pointy and sharp to lift the bezelinsert up, take the insert out. Then turn the bezel in the best possible way (lining up wit the 12/3/6/9/ marker) and put the insert back in, using a bit of superglue (use a little amount).

And Bob`s your uncle. :D

Hi mate :) ,

i'm not sure i can make the second part with no damage for the watch. :blink:

I prefer not to use a knife with a new beauty like that. :p

Thanks

:D

Hi mate :) ,

i'm not sure i can make the second part with no damage for the watch. :blink:

I prefer not to use a knife with a new beauty like that. :p

Thanks

I think you do not understand the simplicity of this technique.

You don`t take off the bezel just the insert with a small needle or toothpick or so (after heating)

When you have taken the insert out start turning the bezel and when the best lining up is there stop and put the insert back in. It`s a simple :D:D

@retep......not so simple now......the 'bezel inserts' on these new Chronographs are very firmly fixed straight from the factory......they don't respond so well to the hairdryer method now......I know that for a fact...I tried the age old method.....no way would they budge...my watchsmith is having fits over me handing over numerous orders for these......he's now having to pop the whole bezel off.....( and believe me that isn't f****g easy either..... ).....and remove the insert from behind.....trying to slip something under the insert from above.....results in damage to the bezel insert..(ask my watchsmith....as he sheepishly looked at me ..covered in embarrasment at the first 2x he screwed up..).......the tolerances are very very close between insert and glass on these reps......!

I've removed numerous bezel inserts in the past using the method you describe..and it's easy...in fact I didn't even remove the bezel.....I heated it enough...and using rubber gloves to increase friction...I simply rotated the insert into place.....and let it go cold.....!

The other downside to the method you describe is that you sometimes have to apply a fair bit of heat to soften the glue.....so much so that holding it by hand is uncomfortable because of the heat......and that heat is NOT good for any watch that has rubber O'rings......it can distort and harden the O'ring....with inevitable consequences.....!

If you are going to do it with the hairdryer method......remove the back take out the movement complete with seals.....and then use the hairdryer......!

@ Ryaku

Alternatively you can just buy one from me....and save yourself all the hassle.......my watchsmith does the bezel insert......whilst the movement is out...he checks it for lubrication.....and regulates it at the same time....and then replaces the seals and silicons where necessary.

Edited by TTK

Hi Neil,

i know i could buy from you and it would be the wisest thing to do if i hadn't a credit to spend with another dealer (and of course if you were disposed to ship to me and you got the watch in stock).

That's why for now i haven't considered to buy your fixed watch.

I wish i could spend that credit in other watch and also buy the smp from you...but i'm too penniless currently :whistling: .

Thanks a lot for your explanation, i won't try that fix by myself, also considering that another guy messed his watch up trying to do the same mod. -_-

@ryaku.....no problem....I'm just trying to help.....I know that reteps method has worked many times in the past.....but on this particualr ocassion the fix that the factory has carried out is a downside for us......I've spoken to my supplier to see if she can advise the factory that the inset alignment is wrong on the Seamaster.......in all other respects...regardless of who you obtain it from.....it's a great replica.

PS....sell you credit to someone who wants to buy from the dealer you feel comitted to....I've just spoken with my supplier who confirms new supplies in stock as we speak....just a suggestion....:D

@retep......not so simple now......they don't respond so well to the hairdryer method now......I know that for a fact...I tried the age old method.....no way would they budgewith seals

Well that shows what i know.

Since i bought the watch from you i don`t have a care in the world!!! :D

Hi Neil,

i know i could buy from you and it would be the wisest thing to do if i hadn't a credit to spend with another dealer (and of course if you were disposed to ship to me and you got the watch in stock).

That's why for now i haven't considered to buy your fixed watch.

I wish i could spend that credit in other watch and also buy the smp from you...but i'm too penniless currently :whistling: .

Thanks a lot for your explanation, i won't try that fix by myself, also considering that another guy messed his watch up trying to do the same mod. -_-

The hairdryer method works where glue is used to adhere the insert to the bezel however in some case double sided tape is used. Where tape is used, some people have had success lifting the insert with a toothpick but if you do this, you run the risk of scratching the insert. You can also pry the bezel off with the flat side of a swiss army knife.. (be very carefull) and once off, push the insert out and realign it. The tricky part here is relacing the bezel spring, but it is doable. I did that with my SMP and it worked fine.

The hairdryer method works where glue is used to adhere the insert to the bezel however in some case double sided tape is used. Where tape is used, some people have had success lifting the insert with a toothpick but if you do this, you run the risk of scratching the insert. You can also pry the bezel off with the flat side of a swiss army knife.. (be very carefull) and once off, push the insert out and realign it. The tricky part here is relacing the bezel spring, but it is doable. I did that with my SMP and it worked fine.

I'm not worried about relacing the bezel spring.

I'm frightened of damaging the insert pushing it out. :huh:

Well that shows what i know.

Since i bought the watch from you i don`t have a care in the world!!! :D

Did you buy this omega?

You have good taste! :p

I'm not worried about relacing the bezel spring.

I'm frightened of damaging the insert pushing it out. :huh:

Once you get the bezel off, you can get the insert out very easily without damaging it. What I do is take the whole bezel, and soak it in very hot water (not boiling) for about 2 minutes. After that, the insert pushes right out with very minimal force regardless if it is glued or taped.

Jim

Not only is there a bezel insert alignment problem, but the SMP Chrono also has the misaligned bezel noticeable at 3 and 9 o'clock (at least mine did). The bezel is VERY high quality and firmly seated. It's a b**ch to remove. What TTK says is true. I can tell you from experience.

@all.....I have no reason to lie to you.......this isn't an easy exercise...and definitely not for the faint of heart........I have to agree with bkdc......the bezel on this rep is extremely high quality....it's tight in rotation....and it doesn't just pop off with the old jeweller's freeby knife from Tissot et al.....!

As I said...my watchsmith has had a [censored] of a time getting them off.....without any damage.....I'm talking 4 hands here to exert leverage at all the compass points and a great deal of huffing and puffing......trying to be careful...!

The bezel inserts are not like Sub inserts...they are not thick and tapering....they are almost flat.....very well printed....but 'soft'....even a toothpick slip would mark the edges....JMO.

Edited by TTK

Did you fixed it by yourself?

I ruined one bezel. Don't try this without a dedicated bezel removal tool or with EXTREME care! You will need 3 or 4 points of traction. NOT a watch knife!

The Bergeon bezel removal tool costs $350 or so, and the Rolex bezel removal tool costs $200.

I have one coming next week and to be honest I have owned 4 genuine Seamasters including a chrono and until coming on here the alignmenbt issue never even entered into my head as I'm sure it won't with any other genuine owners either. This is more a problem of we nutcases :bangin: looking at pictures of genuine watches and comparing flaw after flaw where in fact in the real world it matters very little and will in most cases go unoticed. I think the rest of the watch judging by the pics posted from dealers will distract the eye from this small flaw :)

Where do I get a bezel removal tool!!!!!!!!!!!! :Jumpy::Jumpy::Jumpy:

My SMP chrono just came in today, and I was fortunate enough to have my bezel insert just pop off accidentally while I was trying to rotate the bezel.

I had just done a short waterproofing test by soaking the entire case in a container of water, then held it under a running faucet for a few seconds - I'm not sure if that affected the adhesive in any way.

Prior to that, I did try popping off the entire bezel with a screwdriver, but it didn't budge and instead left some small marks on the bezel.

For those who bought the watch with a misaligned bezel, you may want to try submerging it (with the movement removed of course).

never mind the bezel allignment......what about the gap between the clasp and bracelet....and the chrono pushers that dont screw down.....and screws in the bracelet instead of pins.......theis is an awesome looking rep but has more flaws than i thought it would have. i tried to swap a (pin) bracelet from another SMP i have but the endlinks are completely different due to the thicker case and wont fit the other pin bracelet which is of much higher quality.......my 2 cents.

If anyone is interested.... :whistling:

I used a blowdryer on my bezel for about five minutes and then let it cool down for 20 minutes or so. Next I used the cover end of a disposable plastic "Bick" ballpoint pen to firmly tap on the watch case and the bezel.... viola!!! The bezel insert popped off and onto the tablecloth.

Upon closer examination of the backside of the bezel insert (dude... he said "backside") it looks like the insert was first painted blue front and back, and then glued onto the bezel... a big no-no because that will most definately be less secure than bare metal to metal. I just cleaned off the bezel, smoothed the back of the insert and glued the whole thing together - properly aligned.

This just might work for others out there!