When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My Oysterquartz Frank

alterego

Hi all: I just wanted to share with you some pics of my almost finished OQ project. This has been in progress for about a year and today, I decided to keep a low end Miyota 2115 movement in it for the time being, as it's hard to find a higher end movement that would fit physically and aesthetically. The case and bracelet are gen, and so are the dial, crown and tube. Rep components include the bezel, (Datejust), clasp and crystal,(the same) and hands (Miyota). As the bracelet was three links short, I had these made of stirling silver, which will do until I hopefully find the gen.

Let me know what you think.

Cheers !!!

post-1234-0-70964200-1311345823.jpg

post-1234-0-49881900-1311345902.jpg

post-1234-0-77924100-1311345974.jpg

post-1234-0-12075300-1311346016.jpg

post-1234-0-71750700-1311346067.jpg

post-1234-0-30225200-1311346119.jpg

post-1234-0-93573700-1311346182.jpg

Real cool. One of my favorite rollies I had as a gen.

Could you give an estimate in price for your build?

Thank you Dutchguy (and all) for your kind comments. I really enjoy the watch. I'm amazed at the accuracy of the cheap movement. I think Miyota is a very good option in this case, when aa Rolex movement would sell for several hundred dollars, if you are lucky to find one.

The cost of the project is as follows.

gen case and braceelet $ 250

gen dial 160

crystal 25

gen crown and tube 75

Miyota movement 20

sterling silver links 50

hands came with the movement

clasp taken from a derelict rep bracelet

watchmker's labor 50

-----------

Total $ 630

I was planning on spending around $ 500, but the extra $ 130 are worth the fun of having a rare and cool watch.

Thank you for the suggestion MG. I never thought about the Tuning Fork option for movement. I own a old Bulova that has the kind of movement and I wonder if all tuning fork movements make the same sound. It's a (what is the English word for it)like the mosquito buzzing.

I'll jeck the link.

Cheers !!!

Hi man, great watch!!!

How about sticking a tuning fork movement in it?

ebay search for tuning fork watches

I am sure The Zigmeister or Domi can do it for you:-)

MG

Hi Richard:

That's a very attractive 33 year old gen you posted. How many times have you sent it for service ? and, if may ask you, have you had it running constantly for such long time ? My questions stem from some comments among friends on how they have the quartz movements replaced by dealers, because of movement parts tear and wear or quartz oscilator/coil malfunctioning.

Thank you for your comments Richard.

Hi,

Excellent work, here is my original from 1978 complete with box and papers

Really rare watches on a day to day basis. This one being 33yrs old

ow often have you had irviced ?

post-285-0-66569300-1311403791.jpg

Richard

Thnk you all for the nice comments about this, my first project. I have found a new dimension in collecting reps here in this forum. I'll keep you posted about future projects. Soon I'll start working in the restauration of a gen Datejust, inherited by a fmale cousin. It's a real challenge because the watch is in terrible shape. But that's the fun of bringing near dead watchs back to life. I'll post pics as soon as I receive the watch for a "before and after" photo gallery sometime in the near future.

Cheers !!!

Hi all: I just wanted to share with you some pics of my almost finished OQ project. This has been in progress for about a year and today, I decided to keep a low end Miyota 2115 movement in it for the time being, as it's hard to find a higher end movement that would fit physically and aesthetically. The case and bracelet are gen, and so are the dial, crown and tube. Rep components include the bezel, (Datejust), clasp and crystal,(the same) and hands (Miyota). As the bracelet was three links short, I had these made of stirling silver, which will do until I hopefully find the gen.

Let me know what you think.

Cheers !!!

Very nice! I have sourced an excellent white Oysterquartz dial with Roman numerals. I was going to put it into the case I machined but the dial is just a hair large so I will need to machine another... :whistling:

Which Miyota movement did you use in this?