When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Tudor Snowflake No-Date Dial Project

jmb

I have spent the day trying to create a credible looking Snowflake dial. I searched the web and found a fairly large and fairly straight shot so I pulled it into Autocad and started tracing and interpolating... I am, however, having some issues printing it, as the small print gets muddied and if I didn't know what it was supposed to say I probably couldn't get past "Tudor" and "SUBMARINER". :wounded1: The nest thing, though, is it finally caused me to get up off my a$$ and figure out how to print white with my Alps printer, but even set to 1200 DPI little stuff is fuzzy. I am going to re-draw this with the little stuff as one single line instead of traced and filled...

Here's the first attempt and I think it will be the layout I will stick with.

post-24124-0-41302800-1311640929.gif

what was the dpi of the working file? is autocad vector or raster based? if youre handy with adobe illustrator you could make a vector trace in that and try printing it, i feel it would be crisp... i dont know much about autocad but maybe you can import the eps or ai file? maybe even make a custom font based on the tudor one

I just re-drew the "small" script with just "thick" lines instead of filled outlines and I can read everything just fine!!! I have found that although this printer is capable of 2400 DPI (in photo mode) I can only get 600 dpi in regular graphics mode which is what I need to print white.

I have pulled the Autocad image into Illustrator, scaled it, and it prints great onto a clear transparency. Once the layout is "approved" by youze guyz then I'll print some decals... These will me white features on a clear background so only one decal will be needed (hopefully) to be applied to a black dial blank.

Uh... J?

Do you do one in blue? :Jumpy:

Since he's printing white on a clear decal, it's up to you. You could paint a dial blank orange and have a Doxaflake. Or an Irishflake green. Or a Cornflake yellow. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

post-32-0-37293100-1311694396.jpg

Any color is theoretically possible but I still have to decide if this printer will produce good enough quality. The printers are not made any more but are highly sought after by hard-core model builders as being about the best around for doing decals on. But, their stuff is not usually scrutinized under a loupe...

Here's a "proof of concept" done with a clear vinyl "peel 'n' stick" type substrate you might make window decals out of. It is highly glossy and I didn't "squeegee" it out for fear of tearing off the printing so it's full of bubbles, etc. I discovered I had no "water slide" decals so I ordered some today but figured I could use these as a test medium. I can see I still need to thin down some features...

post-24124-0-41992800-1311694709.jpg

Since he's printing white on a clear decal, it's up to you. You could paint a dial blank orange and have a Doxaflake. Or an Irishflake green. Or a Cornflake yellow. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

post-32-0-37293100-1311694396.jpg

:thumbsupsmileyanim: :thumbsupsmileyanim: :thumbsupsmileyanim: :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I've wanted a yellow-dialled Rolex/Tudor for quite a while now

I'm in. Why not print just the black and paint the dial base white or lume white? I think there is something similar being done in a different post. That would simplify the printing process and less room for run-off. I think. Looks great. Maybe make the submariner less bold, or use a slightly different font?

E

I have created a "negative" of this artwork and printed it at 1200 dpi and the results are encouraging... I have also ordered a new printer to replace my aging HP inkjet printer and it boasts 6000 x 2400 dpi resolution so maybe it can do something...

Another neat feature of the Alps is that it can print metallic silver, gold, etc...

Awesome JM. Now, How about the text above the hands hole on the dial? Maybe a mix of prints instead of one print job will be easier on the printer?

E

I'm not sure I understand...