When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Monday Wristie 8/8

bummerh12

Haven't worn this one for a while and it's headed out to the shop for some holes...

Just returned from shop after "facelift".

Wrist%202.jpg

Edited by jmb

Wearing the old timer today, after a scare at the Rolex AD this weekend. I had them take a look and the crown is turning on its spring/shaft so it won't wind. When he put it back together the clutch got pooched so not only wouldn't it wind, I couldn't set the time. Then I had to sign a waiver before the watchmaker would even open it or touch the dial. :thumbdown: All is well now, except he crushed my pearl putting it back together. So now I'm in the hunt for a vintage pearl. And here I thought it was "finished". :tu:

post-32-0-41247500-1312817673.jpg

Wearing the old timer today, after a scare at the Rolex AD this weekend. I had them take a look and the crown is turning on its spring/shaft so it won't wind. When he put it back together the clutch got pooched so not only wouldn't it wind, I couldn't set the time. Then I had to sign a waiver before the watchmaker would even open it or touch the dial. :thumbdown: All is well now, except he crushed my pearl putting it back together. So now I'm in the hunt for a vintage pearl. And here I thought it was "finished". :tu:

I am surprised the AD agreed to work on it at all. Most, in my experience, refuse to even open a vintage Rolex case specifically because of possibility of collateral damage like a crushed pearl. Sorry to hear the sad news. :drinks:

I am surprised the AD agreed to work on it at all. Most, in my experience, refuse to even open a vintage Rolex case specifically because of possibility of collateral damage like a crushed pearl. Sorry to hear the sad news. :drinks:

Thanks, it's perhaps a sign of our litigous times that before they would open it, the watchmaker had to call the main corporate offices in Seattle and discuss it, then they faxed him a form for me to sign. Then he had it apart and fixed in 10 minutes.

The pearl was crushed when he pressed the bezel back on with his tool. Unfortunately he never gets to work on these old timers so he forgot to just click it back on with his thumbs.

Not to worry, I have already spied a vintage pearl and it's on the way north.

The pearl was crushed when he pressed the bezel back on with his tool. Unfortunately he never gets to work on these old timers so he forgot to just click it back on with his thumbs.

Not to worry, I have already spied a vintage pearl and it's on the way north.

Am I correct that the AD is not covering the replacement cost of the pearl they damaged?

Am I correct that the AD is not covering the replacement cost of the pearl they damaged?

Correct. The waiver I signed before he would open the case covered everything having to do with the vintage and irreplaceable watch. Apparently he could have thrown it against a wall and I'd be out of luck.

To their credit they felt badly and apologized profusely. I told them I've got one coming already and they sort of hemmed and hawed about "we'll see what we can do to help cover it".

So fingers crossed!