When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Doxa Black Lung

Nanuq

Oh yeah! Rare as a rare thing. And believe it or not, four of them live here at our humble RWG. :tu:

I suspect it will get pricey, last one went for a little over three Grovers. :o

Oh yeah! Rare as a rare thing. And believe it or not, four of them live here at our humble RWG. :tu:

I suspect it will get pricey, last one went for a little over three Grovers. :o

Hopefully it might get to 5 in the coming days :)

Was more me being a spacker than anything. On the left hand side of the advanced search page there's an option that says search by auction number. I never could figure out why it didn't work. Then I just tried it in the first search bar on the advanced page and it works through that. Stupid eBay.

You got that right, Ubi. Looking closely at the pictures, it's in remarkable condition. If anything it's in better shape than mine, and to date I had the best and most complete example out there.

I need to alter my totals count down by one; there are now TEN known examples in the world, not eleven. And how about this news: the new owner is a proud member of RWG. How cool is that?!!! Congrats to the new owner! :tu:

Maxman said it best... Sweet Orangeness.

Wow very cool! Glad to hear another one has made it into the RWG family :thumbsupsmileyanim:

So if the total is down to 10 in the world, RWG members own 50% of them? That's awesome!!!!

Sorry, I was wrong before, attributing one of my count to a member here who owns a SUB 300 (no "T"). For some reason I remembered that as being a Black Lung too. My bad!

FOUR examples of Sweet Black Lung Orangeness now walk the hallowed halls of RWG.

I bet heads would explode at WUS, the "official" Doxa home, if they knew that. :drinks:

Sorry Ronin, when Doxa got started they were closely aligned with US Divers. The original Doxas were orange, and they put that big fat USD black logo on the dial and made some prototypes and sent them out to dive shops to sorta "test the waters" and see if people would buy them. Hence the low numbers.

People reported that the hour/minutes hands would get lost against that big black logo, so they altered it to a silhouette logo and the Black Lung saga was ended.

It wasn't until later that the silver SeaRambler came out.

Interesting historical fact: my late buddy Larry, source of the DRSD, was working with USD and Doxa when SeaLab was being developed and Doxa asked him for some real-world testing of the design. He abused several Doxas to the point of failure and they improved the design to beef them up. As a thank-you he was given one of the Black Lungs. In one of his many moves, in Chicago, he accidentally lost the box containing the watch. A few years ago a Black Lung went for sale on Ebay and I wrote the owner. He was selling it because his uncle had left it to him and he knew nothing about it, other than his uncle had found it in a box in a dumpster in Chicago.

How about a Silver "Black Conquistador"? :bangin: I've seen someone on Ebay selling tiny Black Lung USD stickers.

You could take a SUB 300T, get JMB to machine an HRV hole in the side and fit something that looks believable, then persuade him to make you a Conquistador dial decal. Strip a Doxa dial, brush it radially, apply the decal, and a Black Lung USD sticky. Done.

Here are your reference photos.

post-32-0-01812300-1313779282.jpg

post-32-0-96299800-1313779290.jpg

post-32-0-80703700-1313779305.jpg

How about a Silver "Black Conquistador"? :bangin: I've seen someone on Ebay selling tiny Black Lung USD stickers.

You could take a SUB 300T, get JMB to machine an HRV hole in the side and fit something that looks believable, then persuade him to make you a Conquistador dial decal. Strip a Doxa dial, brush it radially, apply the decal, and a Black Lung USD sticky. Done.

I got a couple of his stickers, Divingstar US logo and such. Just not sure what to do with them. Btw, they were free at the time.

And, will post up pics of my new orange when she arrives. :thumbsupsmileyanim: