When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

RIP Gerald Genta

dluddy

Just heard he passed away.

http://www.hodinkee....signer-has.html

For those who don't know, Génta was responsible for a handful of the most iconic watch designs of the 20th century, including Audemars Piguet's Royal Oak, Patek Philippe's Nautilus, IWC's Ingenieur SL, Universal Geneve's Polerouter, Omega's Seamaster Constellation, Bvglari's "Bvlgari Bvlgari" and several more.

Will wear my Ingie in his honor tonight

---

- Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Genta was arguably the one that introduced the stainless steel luxury watch with the original Royal Oak. There were many skeptics of his design and concept when the Royal Oak made it's debut; after having proved it's success (at prices similar to 18k gold watches in AP's collection at the time), all the doubters then turned to him for a design of their own.

The one GG watch I always keep meaning to pick up is a Genta Retrograde with either the Mickey Mouse or Donald Duck dial.

I agree- One would think that a person of this significance in the world of horology would have had more coverage in an event such as this.

I notice that there was very little news of Rolf Schnyder's death a few months back as well.

Nick Hayek's death was well publicized, but I guess that's kind of a given...

I guess that such events are not really very big news except to those with interests in watches and the sort. And even then, we really don't hear much about it...

I too have been a GG fan for many years. He has been an icon in the wrist watch world for close to 50 years.

The man was an innovator, and a design genius. His designs are classics in high end swiss watches for decades.

His death is a great loss to our passion for classic design.

Patek Phillipe, AP, Omega, IWC...classic designs, classic watches. He will be sadly missed.