When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

VRF Inspired 1680 Build

dbutlerman

Well thanks to ogling all the nice 1680's for sale over on the Vintage Rolex Market, I decided I needed to build my own, but I wasn't totally sure if it was possible. So, after some searching here on RWG I stumbled across Ronin's 1680 Build and knew that it was possible. After some deeper research (i.e. bugging poor Ronin, Ubiquitous, Alligoat and Automatico via PM), I was able to collect all of the information and parts needed to build my own Franken White 1680. It's not quite done yet, I am still working on getting a bracelet, installing the gen tube, and delivery of a gen crystal, but it is at least presentable and wearable. So here's what it is:

- Genuine 1575 Movement (Freshly serviced with Sunburst Silver Datewheel with Flat 3's and open 6's and 9's) via a very nice donor Rolex 1500 Perpetual Date sourced from Florida

- Genuine Mark 1 White Dial sourced from Singapore

- Genuine Hands sourced from Australia (thanks bwhitesox)

- Genuine Bezel Insert sourced from Italy

- Genuine 703 Crown sourced from New York

- Genuine Springbars from Ubiquitous THANK YOU SIR!

- Clarks Crystal (temporary until the gen from Geneva shows up, I may leave it on there for a while as it is pretty nice!)

- Yuki 1680 Case sourced from Washington (thanks Sly)

- Yuki 93250 Solid Link Bracelet

Here are a couple of quick iPhone pics, I'll take some better ones tonight when I get home from work:

1680_just_done_1.jpg

1680_just_done_2.jpg

Looking good DB! That was a quick build, or maybe it just seemed to all come together quickly.

BTW, that Yuki is kinda mislabeled. It has the separate end pieces, so it's really not a 93250 which has the SEL's (solid end links) which are permanently attached to the bracelet. So it's fine for your watch for now.

Yeah, I was kind of surprised how quickly it came together too. I was going to take it really slow to make sure I stayed under by low budget, but everything was available and I ended up coming in at about $150 under my initial budget - so not too bad! I did search for stuff for about 10 hours a day, so 10 hours a day times about 6-7 days = lot's of searching :)

I love being self-employed :)