When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Why Do I Need a Date Wheel Overlay?

jmb

When building a Rolex people sometimes ask why they need a date wheel overlay since the movement has a date wheel. If there ever was a more compelling reason to build nifty Tudor projects I can't think of one!! The common movements used in reps have a date wheel proportioned for what can be thought of as an old 4:3 TV set while the window in a Rolex dial is similar to the newer 16:9 HD sets! You have to stick an overlay over the native date wheel or you'll wind up with something like this:

Dial%20With%20No%20Overlay.jpg

To compound the Rollie builder's life even further the vintage builds will usually require a font with "Flat threes" and "open sixes and nines". Seems most of the more easily obtainable overlays come with "round threes" and "closed sixes and nines". Here is my solution to this issue...

Most overlays come printed onto what looks like a brass or stainless steel disc with the SS ones being the more common (at least as I've seen it). These things can be dunked in lacquer thinner or acetone, stripped, brushed, painted, BBQed, etc., and re-covered according to your needs. Brother Ubi was nice enough to loan me a gen vintage style date wheel which I used to create a clear decal. Is it perfect? No, but unless under extreme magnification it looks pretty good and will certainly pass the "wrist test".

I started with an overlay that was on a SS substrate:

Overlay%20Blank%201.jpg

I then brushed it in a radial direction with a Scotch Brite and applied this:

Date%20Wheel%20Overlay%20Decal%201.jpg

To get this:

Finished%20Overlay%201.jpg

Which I epoxied over the sanded 2846 date wheel like so:

Overlay%20Installed%201.jpg

Installed the dial and had this:

Dial%20installed%201.jpg

Which fully assembled looks like this:

Watch%201.jpg

This finished pic shows the font under considerable magnification so it does look a bit "soft" but this is not really evident "on the wrist".

If anybody needs to make themselves some vintage overlays drop me a PM as I printed plenty of extras and even have a few overlay "blanks". ;)

• Like 4

Good thread Justin...I can vouch for this...I watch him overlay MY datejust ...I have an old ETA 2846 movment and the date was just as seen it was off center when he switched cases,,,,,the dials date window and new cyclops didnt line up. It does now brilliantly.

Thank You Justin,

Rob

• 7 months later...