When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Any reviews of the newer 3135 superclone subs?

charlesdayton

Here are three differences I see right away (circled in red), a.) balance mounting size, b.) jewel size and c.) keyless works a bit different.

post-783-0-77250800-1323455308.jpg

post-783-0-65614300-1323455337.jpg

At the keyless works, the release button for the stem is in a slightly different position leading me to believe that the stems do not interchange (a problem if you damage one in installation). The other two instances may not be a big deal, unless something there breaks during tear down and servicing. I think just the fact that these movements can accept genuine cases, hands, dials and date wheels without modification is the major draw for folks in the rep world and the other minor stuff fades to the background.

I think most will find difficulty in using these for the following reasons;

Using ETA - Using an ETA movement was comforting to us since if it broke, it could be serviced with readily available parts, even though we had to use spacer rings and such to make them work in projects. However, with more restrictions in getting ETA movements and parts, would servicing ETAs get more difficult as we move forward anyway?

Using Asia or ETA clone - Using these was comforting to us in the fact that they were for the most part, pretty good runners, and if they broke, we could just chuck them out since replacement movements could be had - for cheap.

Using this SA3135 - Using this movement worries us since it is new, largely unproven, has proprietary parts, is expensive to buy, and currently only available through one vendor that we know of. All this and the fact that is would be inappropriate to use this movement in a vintage build since it is a high beat rate as opposed to a low beat rate.

With all this being said, I think I can predict that Angus over at Pure time is going to be busy filling orders this Christmas season :yeah:

One of these needs to make it over to The Zigmeister for a full writeup and performance study.

Cheers B)

This sound really good to me!

Is Angus the only source for it?

I had allways trouble buying from him.

No other trusted dealer carry this movement?

Joshua told me a better version is coming soon but do not know when and I guess the new superduper! Seadweller 16600 may have the same movement inside, probably after Chinese NY!

• 5 months later...

I came to this site specifically to help spread the word, the Asian 3135 is not a 3135, it is a modified 2836-2.....they are very different in size. There is no money in cloning the 3135, clearly there is in the 2836-2, and modifying it to look like other movments is further proof that it is.

I'm from the Homageforum, not a rep guy, but thought I'd at least clue everyone in on this after I read one of your member bought Rolex parts to fix his movement, non of them fit!!

Also....I've collected authentic vintage Rolex for 20yrs....and recently got into Omega, purchased a 1970 1st generation Seamaster 600m PloProf(it currently has a replacement 3rd generation dial)but has the 1st generation bezel and the cal1001 movement.

Edited by SDREW

Also....I've collected authentic vintage Rolex for 20yrs....and recently got into Omega, purchased a 1970 1st generation Seamaster 600m PloProf(it currently has a replacement 3rd generation dial)but has the 1st generation bezel and the cal1001 movement.

Hi bub! Welcome to the forum. The 2836-2 look-alike decorated movements are about 2 years old now. The 3135 1:1 super clones were released about 6 months ago and are not the same thing. I appreciate your concern tho, and anyone who spreads the word to help others is a good guy in my book.

@sdrew, you have actually looked at the pictures of the movement we're talking about right? As this thread has repeated stated it's NOT based on any eta movement, It really is a part for part (well almost) clone of the 3135. The only significant difference is the genuine has a free sprung balance with tiny weights on the balance wheel. The clone has a traditional hair spring regulator.