When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

I suspect this eBay auction will end at a very high price

Nanuq

+1 here...

fake bezels (look at the pearl hole, so big) and fake dials (look at the T which should have the vertical part thicker than the surrounding circle)... smart move from a scammer

my 0,02€

And I think the SWISS T < 25 is too close to the 6:00 marker.

I think he's trying to make it look like a long lost treasure chest, the value of which he's ignorant.

Hmmm, in going back over this . . . it just seems a little fishy. A treasure chest of rare military dials, pictures lacking detail (deliberately?), stored in a vintage military box (nice touch?)... I dunno, the more I look at the dials, the less convinced I am.

My original post on page one that I "." / retracted was along this line. I thought it was too soon to 'speculate'. However, I will summarize something I was going to say:

Does everyone remember about 9 months ago, there was another auction for a BOX of 5517 Military dials? It was also in the UK. It was poo-poo'd by many here as them being re-dials. ???? Anyone else remember?

It seems plausible, this could be a subset of that former auction. Throw in some Rolex "Tins", and sleeves and Viola. There is NO EXCUSE these days for crappy photos on eBay.

These are NDT 5517 dials, aren't they? Giveaway for me is always shape of the R, E and the coronet. Still they do look impressively accurate from normal wrist distance. For my upcoming project I'd take the eggshell patina version of the two ones shown in a heartbeat (at NDT prices though)! ;):D

What happened was someone in the UK from VRF went to the sellers home...this person looked over the contents, and informed the seller that all the parts were "fake"...the seller felt really bad, removed the auction from Ebay...

Interestingly, the kind VRF person who identified these items as "Fake" posted some pictures to prove his point, the back view of 1 dial, and a picture of the bezels...

What I suspect is that maybe...the dials were genuine and the kind VRF person agreed to take them off the hands of the seller...for a modest fee...and walked away with a couple of valuable dials...you have to wonder why the VRF person couldn't and didn't take any close up detailed pictures of the dial.

All in all, the whole episode stinks, the way it was advertized was a scam from the start..."oh look, a nice military box...it's heavy and will be expensive to ship...oh and look, there are some goodies inside...not sure what they are...yuck yuck yuck..."

• Like 3

What happened was someone in the UK from VRF went to the sellers home...this person looked over the contents, and informed the seller that all the parts were "fake"...the seller felt really bad, removed the auction from Ebay... Interestingly, the kind VRF person who identified these items as "Fake" posted some pictures to prove his point, the back view of 1 dial, and a picture of the bezels... What I suspect is that maybe...the dials were genuine and the kind VRF person agreed to take them off the hands of the seller...for a modest fee...and walked away with a couple of valuable dials...you have to wonder why the VRF person couldn't and didn't take any close up detailed pictures of the dial. All in all, the whole episode stinks, the way it was advertized was a scam from the start..."oh look, a nice military box...it's heavy and will be expensive to ship...oh and look, there are some goodies inside...not sure what they are...yuck yuck yuck..."

Thanks for the backstory Zig!

Always interesting to see what goes on :)