When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Stupid DG movement rotor hits the caseback...

Dizzy

I always thought the DG2813 movement was interchangable with the ETA2836. I guess not... I was bored today and put a DG movement into my old MBW16610 so i could wear it. Everything was fine until the caseback was tightened up... movement stops and rotor wont spin. I put in the thickest caseback gasket I had and now the movement keeps ticking but its just a fraction of a mm too tall and the rotor wont spin. Sometimes I really HATE these asian movements..

Thats my rant for today... carry on.

dizz

Hm, I thought they were interchangeable also, but when I checked dimensions, I found:

2813- 25.6mm x 5.45 H

2836-2- 25.6mm x 5.05mm H

This info was found on Jules Borel's website.

So it looks like the .4mm of extra height is screwing you up.

Maybe you could swap in a taller caseback to give you more clearance.

Interesting. I have never seen this be an issue. I wonder...Is it a DG, Naning, TY, Seagull, or even Miyota. Essentially these are all clones of the original Miyota 8215, but made by a many Chinese companies. It could be simply the Rotor design on your particular movement.

P.S. A real "DG" has what looks like a 3 legged Octopus engraved under the balance.

I agree with Ronin. I've done this many times with no problem. The first rep I purchased was a Noobmariner with a DG 2813 movement on board. It quickly died and put in a Swiss-made ETA 2836 with no problem. My son wears it today. The last rep I purchased was a Josh 1680 with a DG movement. I put in a 5513 dial and ETA 2846 movement and have done similar swaps in between with no problem. The Noobs are the same case. Maybe your watch originally had a 2824 in it...that would explain the problem.

The movements are not the same height but the distance from dial surface to stem center is the same, and that's the main concern.

By the way, on my previous post I was meaning dial spacer ring between the dial and movement. I still think that could be the problem if you used the ETA dial spacer with a DG movement. My last post wasn't very clear.

Thats most likely what happened. I didnt really pay much attention to the space between the datewheel and the bottom of the dial. I may have used the wrong spacer. very interesting as i also would have assumed the spacer was the same size. I got the movements from rafffles time i think on ebay. They were sold as DG but who knows.