When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Why didnt someone warn me about reps !

HartDoc

So I'm a newbie/noobie. I got my first high quality rep as a bonus from a gen sale. I was amazed about the quality of the rep so I sought more out.

I did a ton of research and made what I think very smart buys. Now here is the issue.

The reps are so good the would pass around 99.9% of the people Im around but..... I notice the small stuff. Lume isnt right, CG isnt right, case is .0001mm off, etc.

So I send stuff out to the mod gods (Pbdad, Vac, The Zigmeister, etc) then I'm more blown away with their work. But I see the smallest tell from a gen. Something that is impossible for a modded to fix. Knowing the fact the a rep would never be 100% gen (cause its a REP !!!).

So now I'm starting to franken my fav watches. But now my cost on some of my watches cost are getting close to gen. WTF !!!

Its not that I cant afford a gen but now I focusing on modding and franken watches that no one except a WIS would notice and only if with a loop.

Someone should have facebooked, tweeted, texted, pm, or emailed me a warning.

Edited by HartDoc

The last 5% (to go from a 95% rep to indistinguishable) is sometimes almost as much a gen costs, so it might be better (and MUCH cheaper) to learn to be content with 95% :)

Having said that, we all feel your pain mate :)

The truth Is..If we warned you..would It have done any good.? probably not;) Let me explain.

We pretty much know after spending some time here that reps will never be 100%...they can be very close..but not 100%..by way of China town Im afraid.

Most of the mods I do(have done) are minor..maybe a lume job..maybe a better CG.gen bracelet..etc etc..

I personally cant afford to spend thousands of dollars at will...I wish I could.

So I take one watch at a time..lately I've been selling one rep so I can purchase another. I got In quite a bit of trouble my first year here. I wanted everthing I saw. I probably felt a little like you do now.

So I took a deep breath..and slowed down a little...actually quite a bit....and you know what? Im enjoying this hobby now more than ever. It's not all about the reps anymore..although thats very Important...but now it's more about the community as a whole..not just buying reps. That may not make much sense.lol.

Indeed..this little hobby of ours can become very addicting...read expensive.. for many.. If you dont keep your eye one the bottom line..It can bounce back and bite you on the ass...but quick.

So now you've been warned. ;)

Mike

This is deffinatly a very addictive hobby! I know exactly what you mean about wanting to buy everything you see.ive only been into reps for about 4 months and already purchased a smp chrono, 42mm upo and iwc 3717 and now I'm focusing on building a 5513 build.!!

Very dangerous. But like mike said its also about the community.there are some great guys on here.

Cheers

Ryan

Here's how I look at it. The hunt for the parts is all part of the fun and enjoyment for me. I may spend close to the gen cost, but it's spread out over months/years so it's not a big hit on the pocket book all at once. Plus, it's just too easy to go out and buy the gen. That's boring for me. There's no story behind it. There's no adventure. There's none of the pain and agony searching for or waiting for that next part. Its the journey more than the arrival that makes this so much fun for me. I'll go above 95% if I can, but only if it's going to bring me a lot of satisfaction. I could have just bought a gen Tudor 9411 for close to what I paid for my franken, but I made so many great friends building that watch and that is worth far, far more to me than the inherent cost of the piece itself. It's the friendships that I am always reminded of when I put that watch on and that makes it priceless to me.

There are a certain percentage of rep hobbyists who feel as you do. They have an emotional "sticking point" about replicas and their smallest flaw. So you're not alone. I can't offer a cure. It's just a fact.

My advice would be to take a deep breath, relax, and don't spend that extra $xxxx dollars chasing perfection; spend it on a box of other fun watches.

Edited by Jkay

Here's how I look at it. The hunt for the parts is all part of the fun and enjoyment for me. I may spend close to the gen cost, but it's spread out over months/years so it's not a big hit on the pocket book all at once. Plus, it's just too easy to go out and buy the gen. That's boring for me. There's no story behind it. There's no adventure. There's none of the pain and agony searching for or waiting for that next part. Its the journey more than the arrival that makes this so much fun for me. I'll go above 95% if I can, but only if it's going to bring me a lot of satisfaction. I could have just bought a gen Tudor 9411 for close to what I paid for my franken, but I made so many great friends building that watch and that is worth far, far more to me than the inherent cost of the piece itself. It's the friendships that I am always reminded of when I put that watch on and that makes it priceless to me.

Same here :)

I enjoy telling a friend when I show my vintage Seamaster 300...that the case came from the Phillipines, the movement from Israel, the dial and hands from England, the bracelet from Chicago and put together by a watchmaker in Arizona :)

The point is it has an interesting story!

If it helps you feel better, I went through the same phase as well. You start of with a nice rep at 85% accurate. Then you find out that you can make it better by modding bringing it up to 90%. You think that you'd be satisfied... hang on there kiddo. There are things such as genuine parts, in case you didn't know. So you hunt down gen dials, crowns, crystals, hands.... trying your darnest to bring your rep up to 95% and then when you think you are done.... you discover vintage Panerais and Rollies.

I'm already there thats my point. Already Pbdad mod my DSSD including pearl change. Just got a gen bezel for my BK LM. Trying to source a gen bezel for my BK YM (anyone got ny idea where I can find one). I already have a The Zigmeister mod 001. I'm on the hunt for a blue snowflake tudor, which I think I'm better off going gen on that one.

I let you add up my costs for far.

Seriously if anyone can help me source a gen YM bezel, PM me.

. So you hunt down gen dials, crowns, crystals, hands.... trying your darnest to bring your rep up to 95% and then when you think you are done.... you discover vintage Panerais and Rollies.

What did you expect?

Other addicts telling you to "put the pipe down"?

I've obviously not managed impulse control (my want list is almost the size of my signature) and I've been here 3 1/2 years.

Enjoy the ride, screw the last 5%, nobody but you will know (and frankly nobody cares and you shouldn't either) and 95% accuracy and 100% utility for less than 10% of the gen price is a real deal.

I have watches that I bust out once a month for dinner, at $200-400 a pop it's costume jewelry for men.

And my entire collection plus the dozens that I bought and sold (many of which I wish that I still had) cost me less than a single gen of my DW 6265.

Pick up the pipe, take another hit - Enjoy!

I agree with all of the above. Enjoy reps for what they are and mod them to death if that's what floats your boat.

For me personally, I love the research before I buy, reading all the reviews and hearing comments from other members and the anticipation once I've pulled the trigger.

Maybe I'm lucky that I can accept the flaws of a rep, but the more research you do, the better the quality of the reps you'll buy!

I love showing a watch to someone and seeing their face when I tell them it's not a gen and only cost £200+ instead of thousands.

Can anyone here say they don't get a real buzz when that small taped up polystyrene box arrives?

I agree with all of the above. Enjoy reps for what they are and mod them to death if that's what floats your boat.

For me personally, I love the research before I buy, reading all the reviews and hearing comments from other members and the anticipation once I've pulled the trigger.

Maybe I'm lucky that I can accept the flaws of a rep, but the more research you do, the better the quality of the reps you'll buy!

I love showing a watch to someone and seeing their face when I tell them it's not a gen and only cost £200+ instead of thousands.

Can anyone here say they don't get a real buzz when that small taped up polystyrene box arrives?

Im with you G. :)

Actually that IWC looks fine. I'm on the other side of the fence- I have tons (about 60) of reps but I don't mod them usually.

I know they're not gen, so it doesn't bother me too much. I've also been lucky enough to collect a pretty nice collection of gens- IWC, Omega, Rolex,

PAM and RAD over the past 20 years. I still have the fever- always looking for more!

Edited by Noel Fleischer