When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Franken Navitimer Spatiographe

redwatch

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Well I have an update. FxrAndy was kind enough to source a broken ETA 2894-2 Chrono Module for me to test out and the sub-dial spacing is just a tiny bit off. So it looks like I am now back on the hunt for an ETA 2892-A2 with DD 2021 module.

Big thanks to Andy for sourcing that part for me!!! You've saved me some money and I really appreciate it! :drinks:

Sorry to hear! Do you know for sure the 2892-2 will work?

Nope, but I do know that Breitling used the DD module on a 2892 for the Spatiographe. If I could find a gen Breitling B36 movement, then all of my issues would be solved. However, the chances of me finding that movement are slim to none

Nope, but I do know that Breitling used the DD module on a 2892 for the Spatiographe. If I could find a gen Breitling B36 movement, then all of my issues would be solved. However, the chances of me finding that movement are slim to none

Haha. True true. Good luck man. You always miss those 2892-2 sales

• 4 months later...

Well a little update for you all...... I managed to pick up a Raymond Weil movement from the bay. It was for a Parfisal and it's an ETA 2892 with a DD chrono module on it. Proper seconds at 3 o'clock and runs like a champ.

ScreenShot2012-07-03at105504PM.png

IMG_0479.jpg

Well once it arrived I removed the hands and dial and did a test fitting with the Spatiographe dial. It fits!!!! Spacing is correct. Dial feet location is correct. Only issue is the 9 o'clock pinion is right on the edge of the 10 minute counter window (which i was expecting), so I gather the best option will be to shave/cut down that pinion so it clears the dial but still runs in it's jewel.

Now for the bad news...... and I am not sure how i am going to over come this. The movement appears to fit into the rep Navi case ok with enough clearance for the depth of the movement and everything. The problem is the same problem we have with the AP cases. The ETA movement with DD Chrono module offsets the crown stem from the pushers. The gen is set up this way as well. The rep Navi cases are setup for a 7750 and have the pushers and crown stem hole in line with each other. From what I can gather, it appears as though the crown stem hole will be right at the top of the threads for the case back. :doh:

Really not sure how I am going to over come this hurdle. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

It would be interesting to see the actual date wheel from this movement. With the date window being so far inboard, the date wheel would need to be extremely small. I just don't understand how they could get 31 numbers on there, especially given the size of the window and the amount of white space around the numbers?

breitlingspa1.jpg

It would be interesting to see the actual date wheel from this movement. With the date window being so far inboard, the date wheel would need to be extremely small. I just don't understand how they could get 31 numbers on there, especially given the size of the window and the amount of white space around the numbers?

That's not a date wheel. It's a 10 minute totalizer. When the chrono starts up, the totalizer starts counting down. The wheel shows the numbers in half increments starting at 10. It goes 10, 9 1/2, 9, 8 /12, etc.... down to zero. When the chrono is reset it goes back to 10.

This of course will not be a function that works on my watch as the only way to do it would be to have the gen B36 movement. I will fake it so it will always show 10 like the gen when it's "zeroed"

• 2 weeks later...

Presumably you fitted the movt in with the dial? And now the stem is too far back?

I'd say you need to shave down the height of the slide rule and maybe even the dial thickness! I know that a Navitimer Hercules slide rule is flatter than b13/b23 Navitimers... This in combination with different cases is how they get the gens built. The reps use a mish mash of existing parts which result in that godawful fighters edition rep we see lately.