When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What brand would make you think "rep" right away,and why...

Dave123

About 10 years back I trained with a really nice guy who told everyone he was Persian.

Actually his family came from Kuwait, and as an outstanding scholar in his school he was introduced to Saddam and given a Patek Philippe (I think a Calatrava) with Saddam engraved on the dial.

Sad thing was for years post 9/11 he kept it in a drawer because he was too afraid to ever wear it. He even thought about asking a jeweller to scrub the dial!

Wonder what it would be worth now ...

Probably worth a pretty penny :) I remember reading that fashion photographer Nigel Barker wore a Rolex given to him as a child by Gaddafi. Again, something probably worth a pretty penny :)

You guys should come to Scandinavia. I've seen plenty of nice watches in the past years, and 95% of them have been gen. All Rolexes that I've seen from closer range have been gen. Imagine that.

Well,if the cost of my house was about equal to the cost of a Rolex,i would own 100 gens. ;)

Nice to see some not going the simple "Rolex" angle when it comes to this subject,i'm sure my friend BT would find that refreshing as well. Times change. Pardon the pun. :)

If i see super rare brands (nubio, parmigani, richard mille, HD3, etc etc I would think fake, juts because those watches are not readily for sale, at least where I am from, Baltimore, Maryland. That, coupled with the fact that these watches cost big bucks and are well known makes me wonder about the authenticity when I see someone wearing one. I know that I personally have bought watches like those based on that same idea. :) :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Before coming to these forums, Rolex would be my obvious choice. Now, I guess it depends on a wearer and the context.

A local grocery store owner near our home wears a Breitling, which I'm sure is a rep. On a second thought I don't even care if it's a gen - it looks fake on him. If you are going hiking, don't wear you Portuguese, if you are serving tables, don't wear your Patek. Even if it's a gen you got as a present from your grandfather - it's a fake.

Reading through these forums I've come to appreciate a well executed rep as much as a gen. I believe that to replicate a fine watch to the smallest details takes as much energy and ingenuity. I respect a brand, but today I respect the watchsmith more. I don't think I care if he's a Swiss guy working for Panerai or a member of this forum modding and remodding his Speedmaster.

In short: "wear your watch well" - is not a cliché.

Edited by Adeodatus
  • Like 1

Four meetings over 2 days with executives and bankers from 3 continents. Here is what I saw:

3 Pateks, 4 Panerai, 2 IWC's and 4 Rolexes - all gen.

1 gold Hublot BB - fake. It was on a waiter's wrist at an expensive restaurant for lunch. Seriously.

when i want a rep, first i check the gen price if is below 15k i go for it, but i have some rules that i follow and could be helpful

Rule 1: Wear a watch that is around 1/3 the price of the car that you own

Rule 2: About 50% of your collection must be gen watches

I think that following some personal rules will help you see all the reps that you wear as gen,

what do you thinks guys?

Sent from my SGS2

when i want a rep, first i check the gen price if is below 15k i go for it, but i have some rules that i follow and could be helpful

I think that following some personal rules will help you see all the reps that you wear as gen,

what do you thinks guys?

Sent from my SGS2

Excellent rules. I'm a big fan of Patek, especially the Nautilus, but given my current income level and social status, it would be unthinkable for me to own one. Sure I can buy a great rep of this beautiful, masculine watch, but it would look so out of place on my wrist, that I wouldn't go even near it in the AD shop.

what do you thinks guys?

Sent from my SGS2

Excellent guidelines. I would add a contingency for age. The older the person, I feel you can probably add $$$$. Once you cross the 40 / 50 year old barrier, and if you are not a slouch, you probably will not be questioned. If I saw a 60 yr old wearing a PN Daytona, or any Patek, I would assume GEN ~before~ assuming fake.

Four meetings over 2 days with executives and bankers from 3 continents. Here is what I saw:

3 Pateks, 4 Panerai, 2 IWC's and 4 Rolexes - all gen.

1 gold Hublot BB - fake. It was on a waiter's wrist at an expensive restaurant for lunch. :lol: Seriously.

Gold watches are the biggest warning sign for me. Unless the wearer is someone that looks to have lots of cash I'll always think rep (one of the reasons I gave up on RG reps).

Yep I see more pam reps in sg than i've seen gens IRL

Blue AR and cloudy crystals are often the tells. But also, seeing the 20 something retail assistant wearing a vintage of which there would only be a handful of gens in the entire world is a bit of a tell as well ;)

I imagine a lot of them come from Petaling Street rather our dealers ;)

Funny thing about SG, you'll see rolexes on everyone from your doctor to your cab driver, they're gen.

My dad love Rolex, but haven't been getting one, so I once asked my dad if he wanted a rep, he gave me the "NO WAY!" reaction..

So yea.. if u saw a middle age guy with a Rolex, 80% its gen.

I can think of a few.. generally blinged out Hublots, and well.. a lot of it depends on the wearer. When the guy who delivers my chinese food at the dealership (I'm a Used Car Manager) I work at is wearing an 18k YM2, yeah, I am a tad suspect ;)

We do have a number of employees with nice Gens but a lot of guys have some pretty bad fakes, there's one guy who comes by and sells them Canal street reps for $180-200! Yikes!

In my old job, I used to look after and manage VIPs and serve Billionaires when they were on holiday , one thing I can attest to is Never Judge A Book by its Cover! The really really wealthiest people I met, often looked like they didn't have money!!!! I forgot what does Warren Buffett drive!

So trying to determine what someone drives or wears is IMHO hopeless.

In my old job, I used to look after and manage VIPs and serve Billionaires when they were on holiday , one thing I can attest to is Never Judge A Book by its Cover! The really really wealthiest people I met, often looked like they didn't have money!!!! I forgot what does Warren Buffett drive!

So trying to determine what someone drives or wears is IMHO hopeless.

I agree that you should never judge a book by its cover but honestly whether the person is dressed elegantly or like a homeless person it typically becomes fairly obvious pretty quickly. When was the last time someone tricked you into thinking he was poor when he was rich or you stumbled upon a rich man cleaning up your dishes or parking your car. ;) .

• Like 1

Happy Friday people :) The first watch I defenately spottet as a fake, a while back, was a Breilting for Bentley Mulliner on the wrist of a guy I know from work. He is one of our company's supplier representatives, so he visit my office on a regula basis. Or it was not actually a Mulliner, but based on that design, since the Mulliner never had a big date. That is the first obvious tell.

The watch I am speaking of, is one very rare Breitling, only a few is made each year, and it is the only open heart (tourbillon) design from Breilting. Since the gen is 200.000USD +, I knew, after some googling, the guy really had a cheap rep, these ones are with 21J chinese movement, and the socalled tourbillon is only the balance wheel of the movement visible through the dial. And the guy is really not a 200K USD watch guy, though I have seen him wearing other mechanial watches, so I know he is into watches in general. I do not know if he has other reps, but I shall take a close look next time he visits. I also noticed him stearing at my rep IWC Big Pilot St. Exupery B) , so guess he knows something about watches other than the general public.

But from a distance, it looked mighty impressive, I would say all exept watch people with a genuine interest in the game, would not think of this as a fake, since it is a very unusual watch most people have no knowledge of. All people have heard of Rolex, and assuming they are all fake, since they know these are expensive watches, and that is what most people think of, when it is spoken of fake watches in general.

"We do have a number of employees with nice Gens but a lot of guys have some pretty bad fakes, there's one guy who comes by and sells them Canal street reps for $180-200!"

Southeastern USA...

I have a few friends in the car business and many of their salesmen wear replicas, mostly rolex DJ and submariners. One dealer had to make the sales guys stop wearing big clunky steel watches because they were scratching cars when they banged against them during demos etc. They have to wear plastic watches or a low profile metal watch now.

There used to be 3 rolex AD within 20 miles and now there is only one locally owned snob outfit left that never sold much to start with although they have pedaled rolex for 40+ years. Carlyle went doa and Jared lost the rolex franchise. Now they try to stick you with an omega when you walk in the door.

Don't see many high priced watches on people around here but do see lots of seiko and citizen quartz stuff. I do not go to bars so do not know what I might see but on the street most younger people wear cbp or nothing for a watch and depend on a cell phone for the time.

See a lot of vintage bulova, omega, longines etc around where watch traders gather along with a few rolex but they usually wear the rolex only because it is for sale and really do not care much for them. Many traders wear quartz watches when not trading because they do not care for the hassle having to wear an automatic to keep it running or take a chance of dropping one of the damn things...including me.

This is just not much of a high $$ watch area. A lot of high $$ houses, cars, trucks, motorcycles, and boats though. They make Sea-Ray and Master Craft boats a few miles down the road along with Allison Craft and 3 or 4 other brands. See a lot of 'good ole boys' pulling $40,000 bass boats with $60,000 trucks...wearing a timex or casio. :fishing1:

Guy down the street had a 'ski boat' with a souped up chevy 454 jet drive in it. It sounded like a giant stomach pump going down the lake. A fast bass boat could run around it.

At the local flea market I see characters wearing $20 canal street junk trying to sell it as genuine but that is what I would expect. Saw one guy with a fake tudor sub that he paid $900 for thinking it was genuine. He asked me if it was 'real' and when I said No, he got mad at me...so I offered him $75 for it to finish him off.

I meet people now and then to make an offer on their watch and a couple weeks ago got a call from a lady who 'inherited' a rolex that she "guaranteed to be 100% genuine" and she wanted to sell it. I met her and glanced at the watch and said "It's a $12 quartz fake."

She said "How do you know?"

I said "It's obvious."

She said "How can you tell so fast, Mr know-it-all?"

I said "Because five dollar watches make a bad taste in my mouth."

She huffed and puffed a couple times and took off to the pawn shop with it. :cc_scooter:

When I was working on private islands as water sports , reception I had a Gen Pam 111 H series, but I saved up my tips to buy that. Now I have a baby, and sold it to put some rainy day money away, now I wear a Rep. Makes sense to me, just can't justify a gen now, maybe I might get a gen patek when I retire, basic calatrava that is! Lol

Southeastern USA...

This is just not much of a high $$ watch area. A lot of high $$ houses, cars, trucks, motorcycles, and boats though. They make Sea-Ray and Master Craft boats a few miles down the road along with Allison Craft and 3 or 4 other brands. See a lot of 'good ole boys' pulling $40,000 bass boats with $60,000 trucks...wearing a timex or casio. :fishing1:

That is true in a number of places. One of the reasons why a watch is the ultimate luxury in the U.S. is that anyone with decent credit can finance a house, car or boat but not a watch. In the EU yes, but not the U.S.

I agree with the comment that us rep guys are the only ones that look for or know the details if it's fake or not. I once had a bad NYC Sub that i showed a watch friend of mine who only buys Gen and do you know what he said when i showed it to him?; "Nice Rolie". That was before i took the watch off and revealed the exhibition back. Hey, that was before i discovered RWG ;)