When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Deleting my facebook and going to Google+. Heres why must read if you care about Privacy!

blue_sphere

Again, ANYONE can already do this, and has been able to for years.

I had a woman who pulled up next to me in a car at a stoplight on campus one day and said 'nice car!'. We chatted briefly, not exchanging more than a first name. Two days later she called me. Said she got my name from the DMV via my license plate number and called information for my phone number .... in 1985.

Sure, the internet, cheap computing power, open records laws and a huge demand for consumer information has made this easier, but it's being going on for a long time and hasn't been that hard for the common man to get access to personal information.

What the fk?! What a stalker!

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

That site is gonna die a slow slow death, it won't be worth a cent in ten years, can't understand the sheep investing in it. It's sort of like the dotcom bubble all over again with a single site. Way overvalued, It produces nothing useful or tangible and relies on advertising based revenue. It's already showing some signs of a downward turn with almost 60% of shares coming from insiders and chief execs selling their holds. This is a get out and grab as much as you can while we can scheme. Cant wait to see it fail, 'social networking' wont die but it needs a better format and that site has been on the slippery slope for quite a while now.

People buy into the FB hype because Zuckbg and team do a great job marketing it to clueless companies and naive 20-30 something marketing people. They blow smoke up their ass about their data mining and target marketing intellegince. (selling your data is really what the business is about. It is not some altruistic free service for users to social network, that is the facade)

The problem with FB going public is they will need to serve and satisfy THREE masters. 1.) The Users who privacy they steal 2.) The advertisers and marketing clients. 3.). Shareholders.

At the end of the day, the FB walled garden is another AOL. We all know how that ended up.

If you delete your facebook account they still keep all your info etc.

For either 18 months or 3 years now with Facebook's revised privacy policy. However when someone else posts an embarassing pic on their wall of you are most likely memorialized forever. And with the current state of facial recognition you are basically compromised. So next time you have a job interview.....be afraid. :)

By the way Google now has an even more frightening privacy policy. They have just centralized their data collection amongst all their products - google plus, search engine, google maps, etc. Unless you are very careful they will have an even better profile of you than facebook. But no, they haven't crossed the divide of specifically selling your unique data, yet.