When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Guess where I am

FxrAndy

Let's see, they drive on the right side of the road there, so not the UK.

Lots of small cars crammed in tight... and a large yellow piece of heavy equipment preventing a building falling over....

:g:

Hobart, Tasmania. Except that's south latitude.

Budapest, or Zurich. And your math sucks. :animal_rooster:

No factory visits. And although there are multiple buildings here with the logo on the roof some look just like block of run down apartments. It made me think of the owned subsidized housing for miners bit the apartments looked worse. On the whole Biel disappoints there is not one rolly AD I could find in the whole town and the shops I did find like omega were not what you would expect. The whole town has a run down feel to it with what looks like a large Turkish ??? South eastern Europe population.

Many of the Rolex buildings have the logo on the roof but then on the gates below have different company names as if the building is let out to another firm which may be the case since the new production facility has opened. If any one has thought of coming here to see where it began prepared to be disappointed unless you have a factory visit planed.

post-1258-132695483622.jpg

Yes, Biel is not exactly the place a typical Rollie fan would spend his holiday. It's your usual western Switzerland industrial town, cheap housing, many ethnies and an amazingly high crime rate for Swiss standards.

Rolex does not represent here, they do that in their other sites in Geneva, if at all. But Rolex has invested serious money in Biel and is one of the major employers. This leads to a high advertising presence with Crown signs on many higher buildings, which are usually badly built 70ies appartement blocks in need of repair.

Not many people who can afford to buy a gen Rolex would live in Biel. I imagine Rolex mid and upper management all live in small towns nearby.

Wanna get real depressed? Go to Le Locle, Grenchen or La Chaux-de-Fonds. All major watch industry towns, all worse than Biel. :lol:

Val.

I have to say that Basel is one of the nicest places I have seen so far and the company there make for wonderful evenings. Thank you very much for the time Val and I have a great reason to come back again soon.

Thank you, A! It was a fantastic evening and I learned a ton of new stuff about watches. Looking forward to the next time. :)

All the best

Val.