When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

1 to 1 YM case set

bklm1234

Finally found time to take some pics of this YM case set. It comes from Taiwan. It's primarily a straight copy of the gen YM case. It's cut for gen dial. Rep dial is a little too big to fit in it because rep dial (such as wm9, noob, TW Best) has extra wide edge beyond the minute markers. It has to be trimmed smaller to fit in this case. The crown position is exact to gen. It can take gen movement, SA3135 movement, ETA 2824-2, and ETA 2892-a2. ETA 2836-2 is simply too thick and therefore its crown hole cannot line up with this case's tube hole within tolerance. This case set has appeared at Sean's website. I put one of Sean's YMs together for a member using a ETA 2824-2 H4 (high cannon pin), wm9 YM dial, noob YM hand set. The member custom made the movement ring for the ETA. It's the same case set as this one.

Some pics:

IMG_0996.jpg

Dark ring of shadow where the crystal meets the top of the rehaut - a signature look and indication of gen construction. Later I will tear the case set apart to show you the actual construction

IMG_1000.jpg

Practically identical to gen CGs. Crown is very good, just like wm9's.

IMG_1002.jpg

Let's look at the insert. Very high quality. Frosty area is little more frosty than wm9 YM insert's.

IMG_1008.jpg

IMG_1010.jpg

IMG_1014.jpg

IMG_1018.jpg

Dial. Color is very good. Not dark like the TW Best YM dial. Very similar to the wm9 YM dial except the red text is less bold, and maybe a little less grits/specks on the face. The dial has feet for Rolex 3135 movement

IMG_1032.jpg

IMG_1035.jpg

IMG_1041.jpg

Hands. They should fit 3135 movement.http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m309/bklm1234/1%20to%201%20YM%20case%20set/IMG_1023.jpg

Crown position. High and correct, the grail.

IMG_1048.jpg

IMG_1055.jpg

Clasp and bracelet. Very nice, also just like wm9's. It doesn't have 2mm end link holes though, unlike wm9's bracelet. It uses 1.76mm springbars.

IMG_1028.jpg

Here's an analysis I posted before on the case set.

This YM vs wm9's YM

case:

look identical on the outside

bezel:

2.15mm vs 2.15mm, look identical

crystal retaining ring:

2.5mm vs 2.5mm, look identical

spring plate:

0.18mm vs 0.15mm, difference rather negligible

spring wire:

same

crystal:

2.03mm vs ~2mm, basically same thickness. Both have sharp top edge. Cyclop mag looks the same as other rep's. Etched crown at 6 is also as loud as wm9's.

crystal gasket:

2.38mm vs 2.7-2.9mm, both are wrong. It should be 2.3mm

crown and tube:

this crown and wm9 crown are just as good. This case's tube even has the same tube design which works with Rolex special tube installing tool.

Summary:

This YM case set is good as wm9 YM case set. Same gen construction, same crown hole position, same shape, same CGs. It's a 1:1 copy of gen with no alteration to take a rep dial. The finish is excellent outside AND inside. wm9's finish on the inside are sharp and rough but outside is excellent. Sean's bezel insert has more glitter/"frost" than wm9's. The bracelets are almost the same except this YM uses 1.76mm spring bars instead of the full sized 2mm spring bars.

You can drop a Rolex 3135 or SA3135 movement in directly. If you want to use ETA movement, you need to trim the dial feet off, get a set of ETA hands, get a movement ring for ETA, and get a DWO.

bk

If you would have asked me two years ago about the Yachtmaster I would have said that it is a watch for men preferring ladies' watches. But in the meantime I came to the conclusion that it is a somehow very cool and very different Rolex. It is blingy, flashy and far away from the understated black dialed GMTs and Submariners. It is not a professionals watch but a lifestyle object. It is different but in the meantime I learned to appreciate it.

The TT models with slate or dark blue dials are just stunning in real life, too.

If you would have asked me two years ago about the Yachtmaster I would have said that it is a watch for men preferring ladies' watches. But in the meantime I came to the conclusion that it is a somehow very cool and very different Rolex. It is blingy, flashy and far away from the understated black dialed GMTs and Submariners. It is not a professionals watch but a lifestyle object. It is different but in the meantime I learned to appreciate it.

The TT models with slate or dark blue dials are just stunning in real life, too.

Really nicely said...