When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What is the Power Reserve (PR) in your Valijuox 7734 movement?

justlounging

As indicated in the topic title, I would like to find out what is the average PR that you guys are achieving from your 7734 movements.

Also, how many winds do you have to perform on the crown/stem before the movement is fully wound?

I am currently getting about 36hrs and around 30-35 winds on my 7734..

Will servicing the movement help push a much longer PR?

Would like to hear from the experts here..

Thanks in advance all! :)

You're talking about as 40 year old movement, so the FIRST thing you need to do is get it serviced. My educated guess is your PR should be 40-45+ hours and it should take 40-50 turns to fully wind it. Although the watch may be keeping somewhat accurate time it undoubtably suffers from low amplitude, a sign of being in need of servicing. In the CONUS, that runs $200-300 from a decent watchmaker. If you're in the third world it will be less!

Same rule applies to all handwind models:

Rule 1, wind the watch fully as soon as you get up, before putting it on your writs and before you wear it for the day

Rule 2, a full wind is NOT a few turns, or a dozen turns, or 20 turns, a FULL WIND is when you wind the watch and continue to wind the watch until you can't turn the crown any more that is a FULL WIND

Rule 3, if you ignore Rule 2, you will have poor timekeeping and there is risk of the balance escapment being damaged due to low amplitude

More problems with handwind watches are caused by owners who are too scared to wind their watch fully...

The mainspring is secured to the side of the mainspring barrel, when you reach full wind the spring is held secure and tight against the barrel. You would have to be super human to accidentally break a mainspring from fully winding it.

Same rule applies to all handwind models:

Rule 1, wind the watch fully as soon as you get up, before putting it on your writs and before you wear it for the day

Rule 2, a full wind is NOT a few turns, or a dozen turns, or 20 turns, a FULL WIND is when you wind the watch and continue to wind the watch until you can't turn the crown any more that is a FULL WIND

Rule 3, if you ignore Rule 2, you will have poor timekeeping and there is risk of the balance escapment being damaged due to low amplitude

More problems with handwind watches are caused by owners who are too scared to wind their watch fully...

The mainspring is secured to the side of the mainspring barrel, when you reach full wind the spring is held secure and tight against the barrel. You would have to be super human to accidentally break a mainspring from fully winding it.

Thanks for telling me that. I wound it all the way and it was 60 something turns. I was only doing 40.

Winding all the way is true for non chronos? Like my eta 2846 and aj21?

For automatic movements, you should wind it enough to start it running steadily then wear it. The mainspring of an automatic is not permanently attached to the barrel wall and is designed to slip when it's over-wound so the crown will never come to a full stop if you wind it to "full power" ...

I suppose the question has a different answer depending on what you do all day. Do you sit at a desk, pushing papers around? You will probably never move enough to keep your watch wound so YES wind it manually. 40 turns for a fully depleted watch.

If you spend a reasonable part the day on your feet walking around then the watch will wind itself. I once counted the spins it took for the power reserve meter on my Ulysse Nardin to move from Empty to Full power .. 1000 spins of the rotor!

After two days, I have a winner. All three were originally set at 12:00, so add 36 hours to the indicated times:

i-RWLtrVM-X3.jpg

The unsigned 7734 in my DW 7032 stopped at 45h07m.

My recently-bought Wakmann gets 46h33m.

The unmounted, unsigned movement I got from siesta181 last year runs for an impressive 48h48m!

• 2 months later...