When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Tired of this "game"? (constantly need parts..)

ingirum

Hello guys

this is a "nervous breakdown" of my replica watch passion.. why? I tell you my experience: I started this game by buying the cheap ones. I had several quality issues: screws falling down on the typical 108$ watches.

but, as the passion was growing, the confidence too, I decided to step up to the "A grade 1:1" replicas.

and after some months with those, what happens? my Evo Hublot looses an H screw on the bezel. my secs@12 AP has movement issues and rubberclad quality issues. my 187G PAM looses parts from the bezel.

so, how is it? is this game never going to be troublefree? but mostly: are we condemned to throw in the trash every watch we buy (given in consideration that spare parts are impossible to find to fix them?)

I'm very tired of all this.. and tempted to lock them all in a drawer until I'm rich enough to buy me a gen AP and forget about all this.

cheers! (happy to read your comments..)

and tempted to lock them all in a drawer until I'm rich enough to buy me a gen AP and forget about all this.

This is the best you can do :1a:.......but by the time you have the money you will want another and more expensive watch :inverted:

This drives me crazy too. RIght now I have an omega planet ocean I can't wear due to screw missing from bracelet, a panerai base with a new crystal but destroyed gasket (and those seem impossible to get), a PAM 127 with missing CG screws that seem to be some oddball size, the list goes on. And my wife is mad at be because her favorite FM crazy hours now has a clasp that won't stay shut.

Ok, I will stare at the 029M on my wrist and take deep breaths. That gets me calm pretty quick.

A lot of t he issues y'all raise can be fixed/prevented with some PM and QC.

I only wear Rollie and Tudor so I probably don't have a lot of the wierd screw issues that some do but the solutions/safeguards are the same. Bracelet screws are always trying to escape, it seems, so on daily wear watches I remove and apply a dab of Loc-Tite "blue" to every screw. After doing this I've never lost a bracelet screw. I think this procedure could also be applied to some of the other "strange" watches that have bezel screws, screw-down backs, etc. Just remove the screw with a well fitting screwdriver, apply a touch of thread-locker, then screw it back in.

You're probably right! If screws were the only issues. And anyway, everytime I try to screw back them in, these chinese screws immediately get their heads thread damaged because they are made of poor steel.

Yes, there are solutions, but the one and only solution to have a rep watch without issue is.. to not have one. I know I'm quite pessimistic but I'm here since 2008, I've owned neary 100 reps and I hardly remember a watch free of troubles.

I think the issue underlying your frustration is the realization that perfection will never be achieved - rep or gen

Screws fall out - NOTE always check screws they often are loose, that is standard operating procedure

its a hobby, by definition, it means there is always work to be done. It never ends. If you stop enjoying it, take a break - most of us do. A few months and you will be back again. If you fly model planes, they crash and you fix them. If you play music you get new guitars and tweak your sound. IF you collect watches you buy, change straps upgrade, sell, trade buy new.

Don't buy cheap stuff

1:1 is not 1:1 :) don't build up the expectations.

they are just watches :) its just $$. there are no guarontees in life :) your brand new HDTV could blow up (or just get fried) some jackass can scratch your new beamer - such is life

Many times we have discussed the topic of a perfect collection : ) when is enough enough and the answer is always, a perfect collection is one that is changing with your tastes and mood.

Special parts like the Hub Evo screw may have to come from a donor watch. I have a black Hublot BB that I parked after a couple screws fell out (do not remember which ones), but if you want the empty case, send a mailing address by pm and I will shoot it at you.

I side with JMB and stick to rolex replicas because they are relatively easy to find parts for.

Loctite is good too.

What really makes me mad is the way genuine swiss watch brands are holding back parts and forcing watch owners to send watches to factory authorized repair depots for their Super Friendly $crew You $ervice. There is no way I will pay some sob watch company $1000 to fix what I can fix for $100 just because they will not sell me the parts.

Another sign of the times...thanks to the Geniuses in Charge of rwc, every genuine rolex I have left (except for a 1675) is probably worth more for parts than as a running watch.

Charter Member of the Frankens Forever Club. :clap2:

The issue you're speaking of is not confined to Rep watches.. Every new car dealer in the country has a Make Ready Dept. or Preventive Maintenence Dept. -There to double check the cars before they are put on the front line for sale because cars often leave the factory with things undone or not quite up to spec. This is standard proceedure for US made products coming from fortune 500 companies.

Products from Rep factories will not have the Quality Control standards of 1st tier companies.. Expect this and Plan for this .. write a watch service into your own budget for your next rep. Buy a watchmaker's tool kit and go over your own watches.. nobody cares for your watches like you do. Try to find the faults before they become a problem.

Edited by OldCorvette

It's part and parcel of our hobby I'm afraid. I've had some duff watches in the past that have been nothing but trouble as I'm sure we all have. I've also had a stack of trouble free watches that look great and have worked perfectly from day one. IMO picking up a beauty like my 005 or Super Ocean Abyss that look, work and feel perfect make all those wasted hour on 21j junk worthwhile!

I've only ever bought what is being refered to as the 'cheap junk', yet only ever had one issue of a serious failure, a DJ on Presidential suffered a failure of one of the permanent link pins. Other than that, nothing... I guess I've just been lucky :pardon:

I think the issue underlying your frustration is the realization that perfection will never be achieved - rep or gen

Screws fall out - NOTE always check screws they often are loose, that is standard operating procedure

its a hobby, by definition, it means there is always work to be dome. It never ends. If you stop enjoying it, take a break - most of us do. A few months and you will be back again. If you fly model planes, they crash and you fix them. If you play music you get new guitars and tweak your sound. IF you collect watches you buy, change straps upgrade, sell, trade buy new.

Don't buy cheap stuff

1:1 is not 1:1 :) don't build up the expectations.

they are just watches :) its just $$. there are no guarontees in life :) your brand new HDTV could blow up (or just get fried) some jackass can scratch your new beamer - such is life

Many times we have discussed the topic of a perfect collection : ) when is enough enough and the answer is always, a perfect collection is one that is changing with your tastes and mood.

I feel quite uplifted after that.

My old headmaster was very wise. A few things he kept telling was

1. When we start workings we will find every fecker will be trying to get our wages off us and if we where smart we should hold on to it as long as we can.

2. Dont buy video recorders ect. With all those fancy buttons they just break!

Ok I forgot my point but he was a great man.....

Funny story...

A friend and I were in Bahrain. I went to the Gold Souk and bought a fairly nice looking quartz rep of the Tag Heuer Grand Carrera Calibre 17 for about $90 USD. He decided to go to an AD in the mall and buy a gen Carrera Calibre 16 Chrono for $3200 USD. Exactly one week later, he found a screw bouncing around in the movement when he looked through the back crystal, and had to send it in for repair (took 2 months to get it back). My rep has been working perfectly for a year and a half.

Funny story...

A friend and I were in Bahrain. I went to the Gold Souk and bought a fairly nice looking quartz rep of the Tag Heuer Grand Carrera Calibre 17 for about $90 USD. He decided to go to an AD in the mall and buy a gen Carrera Calibre 16 Chrono for $3200 USD. Exactly one week later, he found a screw bouncing around in the movement when he looked through the back crystal, and had to send it in for repair (took 2 months to get it back). My rep has been working perfectly for a year and a half.

will you be fit to say that in 10years?

will you be fit to say that in 10years?

Maybe not but he would be able to buy a new $90 rep every year and still have $2300 left over! I guess the whole point is is that it's a mechanical device and mechanical devices WILL fail, eventually, but you can be proactive on a bunch of known little $hit and save yourself some grief. That's the main reason that I really don't buy a "ready made" rep anymore. I buy the parts, build what I want, and if it goes FUBAR the only one who I can complain about is myself.

I think what would really help is some general maintenance. It's just like a car. Stay on top of the little things and it'll last you forever.

To set yourself up with some decent tools just go and get a tackle-box and hit ebay for the tools. For less than the cost of a cheap rep you'll have every tool you'd need. If you're afraid of damaging a watch just get a broken one (or a cheap one) and practice on it. Trust me, your shaky hands will steady over time. Every rep I gets taken completely apart (save for a full service if the movement seems in good order) and reassembled myself to make sure it's acceptable to my QC standards.