When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Can anyone tell me about this sub ? its about 7 years old.

altesporsche

I bought this watch about 7 or so years ago, i dont know how accurate or what era to place it in, or mods to make it more correct.

it has an ETA 2836-2 movement with rolex markings. the fit and finish of the watch is amazing for what i paid .. it keeps time as well now as it did 7 years ago. its within 2 or 3+/- sec / day. if there are spots that need work please point them out. i love this watch, its been my daily since i bought it ...aside from the last two years of panerai's ( it gets addicting ). I feel like i need to give the watch the parts it needs to be as close to perfect as it can because it has served me well.

It has been a work horse .. it fell into the prop shaft tunnel on a coast guard ship, into the bilge and survived : ) , it has been soaked in hydraulic fluid and every chemical/grease or crud you can get into in my field of work almost every day for since i have owned it. still running and how its supposed to. its never been opened by anyone but me and has never been serviced or regulated and still spot on. my only true complaint is that it has [censored] poor lume and the CG needs work.

please give me feedback on it. I want to give this watch the little extras it needs as it has serviced me well and probably will until it finally fails.

thanks in advance !

CP

post-34236-0-30234300-1330196291.jpg

post-34236-0-22262400-1330191534.jpg

post-34236-0-18391000-1330194852.jpg

post-34236-0-07548300-1330195278.jpg

post-34236-0-69124400-1330197547.jpg

post-34236-0-13684200-1330199166.jpg

post-34236-0-90347900-1330199336.jpg

post-34236-0-24115600-1330199580.jpg

post-34236-0-77400100-1330199843.jpg

post-34236-0-98215700-1330200076.jpg

i could put lug holes in it if need be ... just wondering what era it would fit best ? and what parts are wrong or any idea of the maker as i bought this long before i was into rep forums.

i bought 7 years ago and it was supposed to be the best rep at the time .. i just dont know what it needs to fit what ever sub its supposed to replicate.. i know it is in the last 25 years but what is it missing ? is it a decent rep or a total flop ... its a great watch either way with regards to time keeping and build quality .. i just want to start to refresh it and turn it into what it is supposed to look like ..

i have looked at many dials and hands and cases and i cannot figure out what parts are wrong .. because i see one post with a dial that looks almost exact to this one but apparently it is way off .. then i see a GEN and the dial is so close. I know the CG area needs work and i have to remove the 18k on the case.. but what would this be a good base for ? a lot of the newer reps i can tell for the most part the changes it needs ... but this is very old when it comes to the most modern reps .. like i said it was bought 7 years ago.

thanks

CP

Here's my opinion which isn't worth much but what I'm seeing. The case doesn't look too bad to me. Rehaut is decent. CG's are better than average but a little fat overall. Looks like a Taiwan case to me..

Downside is the insert needs to be sanded and recessed and the pearl's pretty bad. But the downside to recessing the insert is that the crystal is already sitting a little high and that would make it worse. You could probably take out the crystal and sand a little off the gasket. The Rolex crown on the dial is also pretty bad. The movement is a standard Asian clone

• 4 weeks later...

Just stumbled across this thread I post a while back ... Thanks for for the input guys .. I know it does not compare to the current 1:1 or would even be able to come close to 1:1 .. But I love it and want to keep it .. It was bought 7 years ago and cost a lot at the time .. The movement is gen eta 2836-2 .. The rotor weight I added not long ago and that's about all that has been done with it .. So you say 2002 it could match up to with the looks of it .. I have a gen insert for it and a gen crystal if this one can't be recessed a little .. Is the dial that bad ? If so what should I look for ? Did this era have super lume an was it blue ?

I have a gen 704 crown and 24-703 tube that just went in the other day ... I want to reshape the CG's but unsure of where they need work ... I'm quite capable of doing it myself ( very confident with working with metals , worked with all sorts of metals and shaping custom intricate parts for my cars with pretty crude tools ;p i think i have a bit of a gift for working with metals and being and engineer helps with the whole what works with why and how) just unsure where they need work to fit this era ..

Plus I have to remove the 18k stamp and the other stamp .. How about the hands ? They seem thin to me ?

Thanks again guys !

Cleat.

I think a TC dial and hands would be a good improvement.

As for doing the crown guards, you need to copy pics of gens like this one

KGrHqQOKj4E6dUbyjBOoNgJpDFQ60_31.jpg

That means trimming the insides and maybe the outsides also. The insides are easy, a few swipes with a file and followed by some polish.

The outsides are a little more time consuming and it involves more polishing.

When you're doing the CG's it's also a good time to install a gen crown and tube (I use the aftermarket tubes).

I doubt a gen crystal will work on your watch- this is probably a 30.5mm rep crystal, and I agree with everything kbh said- TW case and it was good 5-7 years ago so you just have to accept it for what it is. You can do the old BK trick and file down the back of the insert and stick a $10 watchmaterial pearl in there, glue it back into the bezel. Your crystal may sit a little high, but it is what it is. I think your movement is a swiss eta and that's good- 7 years ago eta clones were virtually unheard of because swiss etas were easy to come by. You could pop the little Rolex decal off of your rotor- probably says 'swiss made 25 jewels' underneath.

You're probably due for a servicing of your movement- I've had to service a number of my old etas- the ones from 2005-7, some have just quit on me.

If your watch passes the WR test, and you service it, you should be good for another 5-10 years, or as long as you want to keep wearing it.