When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

So what the heck is the "Incabloc Y mod" anyway...

The Incabloc is the shock setting that is installed on the balance c0ck and on the mainplate of the movement.

Each Incabloc hold a jewel assembly supported by a spring to prevent damage to the balance wheel pivots due to shock, bumps, etc.

On the asian rep movements, the Incabloc looks like this. Both openings for the spring are straight sides and shaped somewhat like an "I".

REPLICA movement INCABLOC

incabloc1.jpg

The Genuine Panerai movement on the other hand looks like this, it's got one end that is straight sided, but the other end is curved...

GENUINE movement INCABLOC

1.jpg

A closer look at the balance c0ck and you will see the detail of the modified jewel setting.

GENUINE CLOSE UP

I have circled the section that is different on the genuine Panerai movement, you see how the straight sides have been cut away and curved. I don't know who came up with the term "Y", but if you note the shape of the attachment for the spring assembly, it does somewhat look like a "Y".

2.jpg

MODIFICATION

Here is a standard replica movement, AFTER I modified the Incabloc setting to look like the genuine setting. The work involved requires that the spring and jewel be removed, then the balance wheel is removed, then the setting is pressed out from the balance c0ck, the "Y" is created by hand, it's cleaned up, then re-assembled, balance adjusted, etc.

3.jpg

So there you have it, the "Y Incabloc" modification is nothing more than reshaping the Incabloc setting to match the type of setting used on the genuine Panerai's...now you know. :)

Thanks for reading.

• Like 3

"... nothing more than reshaping the Incabloc setting". Yeah, sounds easy, gonna do that tonight! :crazy:

Thanks for showing, I did not know what the Y mod was. :notworthy:

You make it look and sound quite easy. But I won't touch mine, or I'm gonna ruin it. :)

Val.

Thanks guys.

I didn't coin the term, and I didn't come up with the modification.

I was asked if I could modify a setting to look like the gen, and it so happened that I had a genuine Panerai in house to use as a model. It's a lot of work as you can imagine, removal of the balance and pressing out and in of the jewel setting assembly is quite involved.

Results are nice. But like all mods, it's up to the individual if it's something they want done.

Thanks everyone for the positive feedback.

Zigmister just out of curiosity how long does it take to complete one of these mods? Or is it something members get done when their watch is getting serviced?

It can be done without servicing, or in conjunction with servicing. During servicing it's about 30 minutes of labour, stand alone it's close to an hour of labour...priced accordingly.

Nice. Zigeister, one question: Except for the visual effect, does this mod improves functionality in any way?

Nil change in functionality, it's purely a visual effect to duplicate the gen. For the discerning detail oriented owner... :)

Nil change in functionality, it's purely a visual effect to duplicate the gen. For the discerning detail oriented owner... :)

Well, now I am wondering why Panerai does this small modification if there's no benefit in performance or function. Maybe this is one of those features in which they feel justified in charging people the prices they do for ETA 6497 based watches?

:g:

Well, now I am wondering why Panerai does this small modification if there's no benefit in performance or function. Maybe this is one of those features in which they feel justified in charging people the prices they do for ETA 6497 based watches?

:g:

Thats funny. When I saw his response I was thinking the same thing, unless their 6497's come with the Incabloc already?