When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Same old question...vintage Rolex wise

Akira

I'm glad of that clarification - its a very confusing area.

Makes me wonder if I should sell my MBK 5513 and buy a Josh version, which is at least low beat.

this makes no sense ;) after all the mods the MBW is better - but for the price Joshs is unbeatable -

i would get a modern 5513 MBW and vintage 5512 Josh :)

Frank, the Josh 5513 is not really an option I think, those CG's always look too stumpy no matter what mod.

AFAIK it can't take a gen dial because of the oversized rehaut.

But would you say the old MBW 5513's are better than the new ones?

Cheers

Frank, the Josh 5513 is not really an option I think, those CG's always look too stumpy no matter what mod.

AFAIK it can't take a gen dial because of the oversized rehaut.

But would you say the old MBW 5513's are better than the new ones?

Cheers

the rehaut on Joshs case is perfect - a gen dial should fit -

i would not say that the new MBWs are worse or better - but they require more work - you have to take a lot of material on both sides of the case on

top of the usual work.

cheers,

Frank

the rehaut on Joshs case is perfect - a gen dial should fit -

i would not say that the new MBWs are worse or better - but they require more work - you have to take a lot of material on both sides of the case on

top of the usual work.

cheers,

Frank

these are my findings, calibrated digital calipers, accuracy give or take 0.05mm - 0.10mm

anyone care to measure a josh case or gen 5513 for comparison?

6846802778_04d4a53668.jpg

6846802814_8c1221495e_z.jpg

"From VRF

5512 PCG"

I have a couple questions...

Is a genuine 5512 dial the same diameter as a genuine 5513 dial (26mm)?

If 'yes' then ass-uming a 5512 dial is also 26mm wide...

How does it stay in place with a 26.13mm hole in the case?

Maybe I know...

Flash back to my DW '5513' case (not made to the same spec as a DW 1680 case)...

The dial opening in the DW 5513 case is about 26.0mm (I always thought it was too big for the 26mm dial).

So...I get my trusty/rusty 1520 out and look closely at it and the overall diameter is 28.5mm. Fine and dandy. Same size as it was yesterday (you never know).

So...maybe the dial just sits IN the opening and the movement seats against the case. Clue...the movement is only 27.1mm just under the dial and is not the full 28.5mm until a few tenths mm lower.

May-beee the hole in my DW 5513 case ain't too big after all. Maybe someone with a gen-u-ine 5513 or 5512 knows about the dials/cases and can post the answer. (Dumazz me never paid attention when I worked on genuine sub-mareener watches and now all I have are reep-lick-as's)

Q...What goes down on a submarine?

A...140 men.

Q...What comes up on a submarine?

a...70 couples. :yeah:

(my neighbor retired after 20 years on submarines...he told me the joke)

Somethin' else...

My 'new' MBW 1680 case is a lot closer to a 5513 in spec than a 1680 and the dial opening is 25.5mm. There is a shallow dial seat cut back from the edge on the inside and if you remove this by machining it...a 26mm dial will drop through this case too.

The DW 5513 caseback fits the MBW '1680' case perfecto except it does not have a proper gasket groove in it.

The caseback from my DW 1680 will not fit my 'new' MBK 1680 (that now seems to really be a 5513 case in disguise) or my DW 5513. The DW 1680 case is true to spec as far as dial and mvt fitting goes.

Every time I take my tin foil hat off...I am bombarded with conflicting factoids. :tomaatit:

Since people are asking about MBW, MBK and stuff, I'll say it again:

MBW (Maria's Best Watch) is the name of a dealer which hasn't existed in years. There is no "new MBW" .. Maria was the first dealer to discover the reps which bear his name, much like we call the Planet Ocean replica that dealer Narikaa discovered the "POrikaa". Interestingly enough, Narikaa also discovered the NoobFactory Submariner, but we don't call that the NoobMarikaa.

I don't know what Maria looked like, but since that is a very German name, let's use a photo of the average German guy:

Goldfinger.jpg

MBK (The Mall of Everything) is the abbreviated name of the shopping mall in Bangkok where you can buy the watches people call "MBW" and "MBK". The two names mean the same thing.

This is a picture of it:

post-22602-0-58905400-1332094310.jpg

NahPiek is the name of the store in the MBK shopping mall which deals with the factory that produces the MBK replicas. The man (Pee Chai) in NaPiek who sourced the reps from the factory died last year, and I suppose his siblings are trying to fill his shoes currently. If you go there, they will only have junk on display. You have to convince them to show you the "good stuff."

This is Nah Piek:

post-22602-0-61020500-1332097173.jpg

Thanks for posting that Andy, but there clearly are old style original MBW 5513's, and now we seem to get a newer version that as Frank says are not the same and need more case work.

Where are the originals? Not made anymore? Are the Nah-Piek sellers selling something from a different factory? Can anyone communicate with those guys well enough to find the answers? :)

I have three old style MBW's, two 5513 cases and one 1665. I got lucky and found them on the used market as case sets (two with High's help), but have never seen the complete watches for sale. I would love to find two more to transfer a couple of my Tudor builds in josh cases to MBW.

Woof my rep was made from a new style 1680 styled MBK you look at the pictures in my comparison post and point out the differences in case shape and size apart from the gen has has a good RSC polishing and all I modded on the rep was the lug holes, rehaut and crown guards

I don't know what Maria looked like, but since that is a very German name, let's use a photo of the average German guy:

Goldfinger.jpg

Now you've got me mixing up famous movie soundtracks of the 1960s:

"How do you solve a problem like... Goldfinger!

He's the man... Unpredictable as weather, and as flighty as a feather!"

• Like 1

In which world is Maria a German name?

Maria, as a male name, is only used in Romance based languages. Not Anglo-Saxon based, like German names normally are.

Ignorant Americans :lol:

But +1 as Gert Fröbe as the average German :rofl:

th_picard.gif

Klaus Maria Brandhauer is his alias.

His birth name is Klaus Georg Steng and he's Austrian not German....but I know, Europe is all the same to you US boys ;)

Maria is seldomly used as a middle name in Germany, it's roman catholic origin and not a typically "German".

You'll find more Italian and Romanian people with that name, even though they are the smaller population.

Edited by Akira

Maria is seldomly used as a middle name in Germany, it's roman catholic origin and not a typically "German".

1. There are lots of German Catholics. Like, say ... the Pope B)

2. Didn't you read All Quiet on the Western Front in school? Written by a German named Erich Maria Remarque.

:lol:

I'm not going to argue further.

As a German, l tell you it's not what Germans or Europeans would call "a typically German" name.

As a first name it's never used and as a middle name only in strictly catholic families.

That said, thank you guys for naming examples that actually have proven my point very well.

Alias names - not typical German :)