When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Your watch is a fake!

dandan118

Two days ago I was wearing my Aquaracer 500M (not a watch I would normally expect someone to ask if it was fake). But of course someone I worked with did ask. I told him "yes, it's a replica I bought from China". I could tell he wasn't familiar with nice watches, but I took it off and showed it to him. He looked at the face for a few seconds, then turned the watch over and saw the movement. Then he said "oh, it is real! Wow, this is a nice watch". I told him again it was a rep, but he just laughed like I was kidding. I couldn't convince him it was a rep and I think to this day he believes I'm just trying to dupe him.

Right after I got my DSSD, i was sitting right next to another guy I work with who wears a gen sub. I caught him out of the corner of my eye staring at my DSSD. A little later that day he came up to me and said he noticed my watch and commented on how much he liked it. He said "wow, those are pretty expensive though right? I paid $5000 for my submariner, but aren't those like twice that?" I told him, "yea normally, but I got a good deal on this one ...$400". Then I told him it was a rep and he was blown away. He asked me to see it and he studied it for a long time. I told him about the quality of higher end reps and he was amazed. He ended up asking me for the website!

• Like 2

Word of caution, using the terms "Gen" and "Rep(lica)" are pretty unique to our little group of deviants. :)

A non-forum, simple watch owner, would probably be more inclined to speak the words: Real, Genuine Article, Real Thing -vs- Gen (slang). And in the real world Replica often is simply Fake or Counterfeit.

If someone tried to bluff using Gen or Rep, I would be suspect.

Absolutely right!

Likewise if some jerk were questioning the pedigree of your watch the last thing you would do if it were an item of real worth is remove it and hand it to them.

I think that's a myth, or related to the wearer.

I've been wearing Rolex watches daily for the last four years. I wear both reps and a couple gens, from subs to explorers. I have close contact with over a hundred people from many walks of life every day and that includes the five or six people I work with.....not one time has a single person asked that. I have had many compliments and sometimes questions as to what model....

Maybe if your in high school and wearing a thirty thousand dollar Daytona while eating a sack lunch.... :partytime:

Quite accurate

Recently I had a conversation with other collectors regarding holidays and the watches you see in the club areas.

A lot were said to be fakes, but for some people it's harder to tell. "Look at their shoes" was quite a good hint given to judge the autenticity of worn watches ;)

Dee

Recently I had a conversation with other collectors regarding holidays and the watches you see in the club areas.

A lot were said to be fakes, but for some people it's harder to tell. "Look at their shoes" was quite a good hint given to judge the autenticity of worn watches ;)

Dee

Lol, quite true, a pair of sketchers and a white gold daytona don't mix somehow :D ....but you never know!

I am a waiter and I always get stares or questions about my watches. It 's kinda funny when I 'm taking there order and theres heads start turning side ways to stare at my watch.

Only been called out once by a guy who thought he knew all, conversation went " is that a real rolex ?" " No sir it isn't " " yeah I didn't see it sweeping" then I stuck it in his face " oh it sweeps sir take a closer look " then he was dumbfounded and I proceed to ask him what he'd like to eat. Funny how the sweeping second hand is how alot of people think you tell a real rolex.

Another time wearing my sub witch is a crappy canal st. fake , guy ask me what year mine is ,then told him it was fake ,he said you could have fooled me and I've worn rolex's all my life , then to make me feel better and so he didn't look like a snob he says his was fake too (had on gold rolex day/date) I said yeah right and pointed out all the things to tell its real,he was real impressed and a classy guy left a good tip.

I 've had other people ask about my watches and what I tell them depends on the vibe I get from them/how I think ,wearing a nice watch will affect my tips.

If someones wearing a nice gen . alot of times I comment on there watch ,and tell them can't wait til I can afford a nice watch like theres instead of this fake then there flattered and leave me better tip.

One time I spotted a guy wearing a tag grand carrera cal 17 , at another table ,I said hey nice watch man ,that the grand carrera? he got all impressed that I spotted it told me to sit down he took it off let me check it out we talked about watches I showed him my brietling rep he was impressed then later he pulled me over again to give me 5 bucks because he was so impressed I was the first person to comment on his watch ever.

Some times when people say hey nice watch what kind is it ?I 'll say "oh it's a brietling rep or tag heuer rep" and they'll be "oh ok never heard of that but it's very nice."

Around where I live people only know rolex ,so if I wear my tag, brietling ,or iwc I just got to worry about compliments.

Sometimes when I get a real crappy /annoying table I think my nice watches intimidates them into behaving more like humans not animals that type table is gonna leave crappy tip regardless.

I must say society is crazy theres all types of people out there and you have to handle everyone uniquely .I love the value for what you get in reps ,I could afford to go out today and purchase any genuine watch I please cash money ,but choose not to . So I'm not worried about the haters out there and what they think , they are easyly out wit'd with the examples in this thread. I sure am thankful for this forum and all you guys who rock the reps and truely understand that there alot more than just some chinese crap.....

• Like 1

Lol, quite true, a pair of sketchers and a white gold daytona don't mix somehow :D ....but you never know!

The shoe thing is quasi-valid in a more formal setting. I have been know to sport a pair of Checkered Vans while wearing $$$$ GEN's. I also, know plenty guys wearing Gen's with their New Balance sneakers.

It's less the value of the shoes as how you wear the combination.

We were 4 wearing gens - 2 Rolex and 2 Panerai - 2 of us were wearing Nike free, so orthopeadic value on the one hand and stylish and colourful on the other hand without screaming to be current trend.

Dee

It all depends on how good the relationship is with the people and if you feel you can share your sources with them. A guy commented on my ceramic GMT today so I directed him to trusty and he was like OMG kid in a sweet shop. But for others I might say " I actually don't remember asking for your opinion" "oh that's right I didn't " and then top it off with " I'm sorry I think you have me confused with someone who gives a [censored]"