When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Removing Date Funtion from ETA

briank996

Removing the date wheel and the drive pinion is easy enough.., you will still have the middle click when you pull out the crown, would be very hard to eliminate that. The crown will freely turn in that middle position so it won't feel like a date adjustment.

The easier solution to taking out the middle click is to use part 445 from a 2801-2 movement.

That's a cool tidbit of knowledge. Did you use this mod yourself? Any downside?

JMB mentioned that "With the "bumps" filed off the set lever there is nothing to positively hold the stem in the winding or time set positions so it makes winding or setting the time tricky until a technique is developed."

Wondering if the 445 part would resolve this too.

I have used that mod on a 2846 used for a 5513 movement. It works perfectly.

I have never filed the middle click off but I can't see why it would affect the stem. The setting lever is what holds the stem in the movement and you are filing the setting lever jumper spring. I would be more concerned about getting it filed smooth so there are no burrs. Maybe someone else can comment.

I guess I misspoke, filing the bump didn't make the time-setting "fiddley" but required some inward pressure on the crown while hand-winding or the stem might slip out to the date-set "area" which will cause it to "free-wheel". The "spring" contains the detents that keep the mechanism latched into whatever mode you want.

I think I'll order one of these parts...

I just remembered I have a no-date 2801-2 left over from the TZ Level 1 school and I looked at this part and it's very different than just grinding off a bump. instead of a missing bump it has a "notch" for each position and sort of a triangluar shaped bump between the two. This gets rid of the date position and still keeps a positive detent for winding AND time set position. I've ordered one from Borel to see if this is actually what I get, or not...

instead of filing it all i did was buy a used $10 swatch auto off ebay that comes with this feature in their 2841 movement, removed the keyless and put it on the 2846, sorted!

the seller:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/SAK101-Swatch-1992-Auto-Red-Ahead-Classic-Artistic-/350553156915?pt=Wristwatches&hash=item519e98ad33

• 1 year later...

instead of filing it all i did was buy a used $10 swatch auto off ebay that comes with this feature in their 2841 movement, removed the keyless and put it on the 2846, sorted!

the seller:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/SAK101-Swatch-1992-Auto-Red-Ahead-Classic-Artistic-/350553156915?pt=Wristwatches&hash=item519e98ad33

I wonder what the part number is for the date setting lever. Hate to resurrect old posts, but have been looking for the part number for a few days to revive some gen 2846 movements into no date ones.

E