When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Best Place To Sell Expensive Gen

One of my clients gave me a Pam 088 GMT for Christmas. It's a beautiful watch, and it ought to be since he paid $8700 for it, but I find myself wearing my Pam 028 PVD - the really nice rep with the 2892 movement instead.

As many of you know, I don't generally have anything to do with gens so I haven't had any experience liquidating them. Would I be better off to take this to a local high end watch shop, or put it on ebay, or what?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Bill

I have had good luck moving >$5000 gens on TRF (The Rolex Form) even non-Rolex, and WUS (Watch U Seek). Trouble is-- if you are new with 0 posts and no reputation on those forums it might be a tough sell. The guys on TRF are also fans of "Bank Transfers" which is better than PayPal IMHO.

eBay scares the $hit out of me "as a seller" because of the whole PayPal dispute system...

you could also try to sell in on timezone. But as said earlier, you have no street cred. So its either going to be a hard sell or you have to sell below what is normally asked.

One suggestion is to offer a 3 day grace period for the buyer to check it and return minus shipping with no questions asked.

I would list it on Time Zone. If you are asking more than 5k then it goes into a different catagory on a seperate sales forum.

I agree, with no previous sales on TZ, you may have a problem, but everyone starts somewhere. As Hartdoc said, offer it with a 3-5 day return if not as described. that may allay some of the problems with a new seller. also when folks respond, I have always been very forthcoming by offering my phone number and inviting them to call me and discuss the watch. It seeems to help and it gives folks some sense of security that they can talk to you and you are not some scammer who is trying to beat them out of their money. With TZ, you have to register to sell, and the seller must respond by Email, they are not allowed to post any responses in your sales thread.

I have had very good success with both WatchU Seek and TZ. I haven't sold anything over 5k, but I have bought and sold quite a few watches in the 2500-3000 USD range.

Watch shops aren't going to give you more than 50-60% of the value, as they have to guarantee the watch,plus they are looking to make a profit on the sale. Sort of like "Pawn Stars"!!

Ebay is and option, but it would be my last choice. Too many flakes on Ebay, and the last thing you need is some guy getting the watch and then opening a Paypal dispute because it's not exactly what he wanted. Also I have had folks bid something up, win the auction, and that's the last you hear from them. Then you have to relist and all that is a hassle.

GLWS

• Like 1

As far as street cred goes on the above listed fora-- if you live in or near a major city (NYC, Chicago,San Francisco, LA, etc.) you can possibly do an "in-person" deal at a jewelry store / safe location. You can also provide references upon request.

The 3-5 day inspection is nice, but does not protect a buyer from a 'take the money and run' sale.

• Like 1

Yeah if you don't have a rep on the forums it's difficult, (not a postcount) an actual selling reputation. As above you could offer a face to face and or possible agree to have it authenticated at an AD or similar, these sort of things help put a potential buyers mind at rest a little, even just saying them helps. Other options are selling directly to grey market online dealers, similar to watchfinder, iconicwatches like we have in EU, these aren't recommended though, not because it is unsafe, but because they offer shiit value if selling directly to them, some sell it for you on a commission basis however. Watchfinder were handy upto recently they just asked 10%...in the past few months they've raised it to 20%...greedy bstards!

I know I'm speaking from an EU standpoint but I'm sure ye have similar in the US!

Welcome back Bill. Like others have said, TRF (The Rolex Forum) is a good place and TimeZone is another. But if I was you I would keep it since it is a very nice watch.

Edit: if you decide to go to the watch shop then contact me I would love to take it off your hand and added to my small collection.