When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Why I love the Asian 7750.. and I think it does not get enough credits!

Rolexman

Sorry about my attitude guys... i apologies...

But i want to ask one more time: can you manually wind an a7750 or it is sure that this will break down the movement?? If you can, perhaps i will try to buy again a chronograph! :)

I have about a half dozen 7750s, ranging from 1 year to 7 years old. I used to wind all of them every day. I did that for years, without a problem. After being informed that its not really a good idea to manually wind any automatic movement, I stopped. If you do need to wind it, do it very slowly, and only about 30 turns. I have found that hacking my watches is much easier. When ! put it on, I set the date and time and I'm good to go, and always with a full power reserve.

Sorry about my attitude guys... i apologies...

But i want to ask one more time: can you manually wind an a7750 or it is sure that this will break down the movement?? If you can, perhaps i will try to buy again a chronograph! :)

The winding gear of the 7750 (Swiss and Asian) can have it's gear teeth broken by manual winding unless you are very careful. It is not recommended to manually wind a 7750 every day.

You both have some great insights and loved reading your replies. Technically you are right off course. But as soon as the stocks of new and clean ETA 7750s starts to dry up the prices will creep up to what they once were $350 ~450 (I'm not talking about old stock or second hand as they are cheaper but also dirty and/ or dry). Then it's an whole other ball game!

Thank you :) likewise and I wish I had your skills, I would be using all A7750 too! It's funny because I got an email this morning that the French shop that had all these Zeno movements received new stock of 50 top grade ETAs and they're selling @180Euro again.

"I received a stock of Swiss movements 50* ETA7750 finish steel screws / pearl bridge / mass with geneva rating. The price is 180 euros for a movement."

with all these "dealers" making 1-1 watches, using much better lume, etc - it sure would be nice if you had the option of a "serviced movement" for a reasonable add-on...assuming the dealer could "prove" the watch is clean, non-defective parts, assembled properly and is regulated right...

R-

Love this post, thanx for your thoughts. I myself have a A7750 from 2008 that i wear almost every day. Works just fine. I change date and wind it whenever.. no problem. But ok its serviced.

I like the idea hackR mentioned. Pay for for a clean movement! I do not like to send my new keeper to a modder for a month or two. I want to use my watch ;) (Sry modders love you but hey.. ;))

Also i love this forum. Someone posts something and ppl actually dare to question it. Some are more blunt then others.. but its a free world in here :)

Keep it up OP, this is adding value to the forum as a whole.

You still should service an ETA 7750 though so I'm not sure why people are comparing servicing an A7750 to buying an ETA 7750.

Yes, all movements must be serviced eventually, it would be foolish to assume otherwise. The difference is that with an A7750, very often service is a necessity right out of the box or a few months down the road due to some of the inherent issues like rotor free spin on winding, reversing gear problems, hair spring coils not concentrically equidistant, improper oiling, dirt, cracked jewels, etc. With a brand new ETA7750 you normally have 5-7 years of trouble free use to look forward to unless the movement was NOS and the oil viscosity is compromised.

Also, to comment on the clean movement option being offered for extra $$. I think it would be foolish to assume that if this service were to be offered it would be any different from the usual dealer claims of "waterpoof", "synthetic sapphire" or "all parts interchangeable with genuine". I wouldn't pay a penny extra for that service that would just be throwing money away.

Yes, all movements must be serviced eventually, it would be foolish to assume otherwise. The difference is that with an A7750, very often service is a necessity right out of the box or a few months down the road due to some of the inherent issues like rotor free spin on winding, reversing gear problems, hair spring coils not concentrically equidistant, improper oiling, dirt, cracked jewels, etc. With a brand new ETA7750 you normally have 5-7 years of trouble free use to look forward to unless the movement was NOS and the oil viscosity is compromised.

Also, to comment on the clean movement option being offered for extra $$. I think it would be foolish to assume that if this service were to be offered it would be any different from the usual dealer claims of "waterpoof", "synthetic sapphire" or "all parts interchangeable with genuine". I wouldn't pay a penny extra for that service that would just be throwing money away.

Agreed. Don not use your dealer as your watchmaker :nono:

Trusty offers movement lub etc. for an extra price. Has anybody done this with him? I was thinking of having my next a7750 serviced with Trusty in China before shipping.

I'll say it again....DO not let your TD be your watchmaker.

• Like 1

I had the last A7750 I received (Daytona secs@6) opened by my watchmaker before I even wound it up. He was removing all kinds of metal pieces and chips that definitely did not belong there. During the process he was all cusring and mumbling like "They build that on some dirty junk." Quite amusing I must say. :-) So I turned it in for a complete cleaning job. That is definitely more expensive here as it would be in Asia to get it right the first time. And I cannot see why assembly under clean conditions would be much more expensive then doing it on a dirty desk.

Just my 2 cents.

Great post from the OP to noobs browsing indeed.

If you can get a good rep of a 10k gen for $300 and it floats your boat,all good. Do get the movement checked out by a local watchsmith,i found mine in my yellow pages,was not hard. Cleanup,oiled if required and your good to go for next to nothing.

Skip the winding and just wear the watch on your wrist till it runs,then set the time and date. It is indeed a good movement. Have fun. :)

Don't forget to add the fact that the date wheel mechanism is actually a better design on the Asian version and does not have the same issue as the ETA one when changing the date between 10pm and 2am. Quite an ingenious design actually. Surprisingly the Asian's seemed to have improved upon a swiss design flaw!

All I can say about the A7750 is that It's been a fantastic movement for me. I have a few that are going on four years old...never been serviced and still keep very good time. I do suggest having them serviced for optum performance

I feel that It's one of..If not the best Asian movements available

Mike

Does anyone know where to buy hands for the A7750? It is my understanding that the subdial and second hands are different sizes from the ETA/Valjoux 7750. I have been unable to locate anyone who sells different hands for the A7750 movements, which has kept me from buying a loose A7750 for a project.

• Like 1

Does anyone know where to buy hands for the A7750? It is my understanding that the subdial and second hands are different sizes from the ETA/Valjoux 7750. I have been unable to locate anyone who sells different hands for the A7750 movements, which has kept me from buying a loose A7750 for a project.

Take a look In this section...you could also post your question there. Much better place for a answer.

http://www.rwg.cc/forum/209-technical-and-helpful-information/