When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Super-Hulk build

sneed12

I've been collecting the parts for another Super-Sub C build for quite a while:

IMG_0287.JPG

I just bought a parts watch with a green dial in it, and I was going to gut it, but... something about the green dial caught my eye.

So I built the watch with the green dial. The parts watch had a cracked bezel insert, which is part of why I got it cheap, and I've got another one on the way.

Same specs as my last Super Sub-C () except this one has a gen crystal with AR under the cyclops.

The DWO on the movement is the new one that the factories are putting out, the one sitting alone is a BK DWO. The new factory DWO is much better than the old Noob one, take a look at the placement of the 21:

IMG_0290.JPG

And here's the dial:

IMG_0292.JPG

IMG_0295.JPG

IMG_0296.JPG

Hands installed:

IMG_0297.JPG

Assembled:

IMG_0299.JPG

IMG_0300.JPG

One thing that the new factory DWOs have is the subtle serifs

IMG_0301.JPG

and the black hole effect on the gen crystal is NUTS

IMG_0305.JPG

Here it is in the box--I sold off 6 pieces to get it down to half a dozen, but it seems like it's growing again.

IMG_0307.JPG

I don't know if I'll keep it, I think it'll depend on the new bezel insert. The color on this one isn't quite right, it's a bit too olive.

• 2 weeks later...

Direct sunlight definitely makes a difference:

IMG_0414.JPG

IMG_0415.JPG

I'm pretty much sold. I love the way the dial can go from light to dark.

I re-pressed the gen crystal with a different gasket, and flipped the gasket over so the ridge on the gasket would ride in the slot of the crystal. The case seems to be waterproof now. The replacement bezel insert arrived in the mail the other day, when I get some time I'll try to install it and this watch will be done for the moment.

That does look pretty bad-ass, especially in direct sunlight :good::drinks: I really like the olive green of the insert, I think it would look fantastic on a NATO or Tropic-style strap as well, proper military-style :victory:

Loving that direct sunlight shot..really shows off the sunburst dial..if only the insert was of a better color..

Worn the gen hulk for a day and it is a very lovely piece indeed..

Sneed you are right about the color of the dial..it changes color depending on how light is caught on it.. :)

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

i have some questions for i am also in this path, i currently have a noob (V serials) subc black, i just acquired a similar case (F serials) to what is posted in your original build review, my question is that will the crown of the noob subc work with the existing tube of the donor case?

thanks!

i have some questions for i am also in this path, i currently have a noob (V serials) subc black, i just acquired a similar case (F serials) to what is posted in your original build review, my question is that will the crown of the noob subc work with the existing tube of the donor case?

No, unfortunately. you have to swap the tube or use the existing crown. I'm trying to decide which I want to do right now, in fact.