When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Price check on gen Rolex 1680

bwhitesox

Guys I got a great deal on this watch some time ago and since then I have swapped in a set of tritium hands and a tritium pearl as both were service parts.

I am probably going to put this up for sale over at vrf or maybe ebay but not sure what it is worth now.

This is a gen 1680 all tritium with 93150 bracelet and vintage box.

Edit: It has the original grey datewheel but the photo has made it look whiteish.

Cheers.

MJH_2112.jpg

Edited by bwhitesox

more to $5000

the insert is perfect - all tritium with a nice cream patina - good case - this one looks very nice.

+1

And that would be on the low end especially if it still has its sharp edges. Paperwork such as service or original papers adds to the values. Unless the box is original to the watch you might be better off selling it separately D.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i would say probably more toward 5K. Agree the box is irrelevant unless you had the other "stuff" punched papers, accessories, etc. Service history if documentable will help as well.

VRF or Rolex forum then TZ would be my choices to sell. Absolutely not Ebay. Probably wouldn't hurt to list it on all of them.

It must be mentioned that the dial is a service dial. Albeit an early tritium service dial. Great job matching the hands to the dial though. Tritium hands for the 1570 aren't easy to find...especially matching. The silver date disc is definitely a plus. Wonderful addition with the tritium pearl to the nicely faded fat font bezel insert. The case on the piece is in great shape, not too overly polished...in fact, fatter than my 1680. As far as a price is concerned, I'd say mid $4k range...maybe $5k. It's tough to say...1680s can be all over the place. Just start high and lower if you need to.

Actually in France,

http://cda.chronomania.net/forum_entry.php?id=68013

MBK case ??? possible.

I doubt, more I am involved in this "business" or "hobby" call it as you like, more I think these Rolex vintage are..... just not complete original

I will definitly stay in the quality vintage rep world and avoid to be a pigeon with these "gens"

I have other centers of interest to invest money than "gen" vintage Rolex...

I'm with RolexAddict on this one. These watches are 30 or so years old, so chances are they have had some service at some point, and unless the supporting documentation is spot on and verified, I would be hesitant. Especially for the money that they are commanding. $6k for a 30 year old watch, for my pennies I'll stick to the "new vintage".

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Those recommending listing for $5000 are way out of line for one with a service dial.

Sure service dials are rare and can go for $500 by themselves (that's what I paid), it's still a service dial. Immediate hit on the value. With no box or papers but a service and all original parts, bracelet with minimal stretch and matching date code on the clasp to the year of the watch I would say start at the $5000 mark and accept nothing lower then $4500.

For a watch with a service dial but tritium hands, minimal stretch to the bracelet with a recent service and matching clasp date code I would say start at $4500 knowing that you might get a few takers at $4000 but that you might end up selling for less then $4000.

If you still have the service hands and pearl, I would put those back on and sell it that way. You would still get around $4000 with matching service parts and could sell the tritium pearl for around $200 and the hands for around $150-$200 since to get hands you have to turn in a serial # now and Rolex tracks this information. I know this as I just did this myself.

Service parts on a vintage sub are a tricky thing. Some like them, some don't.. To sell them on a watch with mismatched parts (some original and some service like hands and dial) will result in turning a lower profit then if you matched the parts up and sold the extras individually. By having tritium hands and a luminova dial you turn off both ends of the spectrum as it isn't original though you turn off those looking for a watch that lights up more then the other way. Still those looking for all original will immediately offer less due to the fact that a tritium dial will cost north of $600 to source for a period correct one in good shape with matching lume.

on the other hand, having matching luminova dial and hands appeals to those looking for a modernized vintage that has good lume. Also, it will be easier to sell the hands and tritium pearl to a collector who has a 1680 with mismatched tritium lume parts.

gavidoc is right on with his advice. The folks buying vintage Rolex are a pretty fickle lot. Ever so often you get a noob that really wants a 1680 or a 1665, and he will buy one that isn't up to snuff, but most buyers want it to be all one way or the other. There isn't anything wrong with service dials, tons of older watches have had dials and hands replaced over the years. Looking at a 30-40 year old watch, it's more than likely been serviced at least 3-4 times. the problem is when you have a mismatch, all the folks on the VRM will call you to task if it isn't described correctly, and it's not priced in line with it's condition.

As far as buying an all original 40 year old Rolex, I know there are a fair number out ther, but how can you be sure? How can you tell if the RSC didn't change a bezel insert, or even the bezel, hands, crown and stem. If it was done 25-30 years ago, the hands and bezel insert will be aged enough that it would be pretty hard to tell for sure if they were original or replaced? If you happen on to one that comes from the original owner, or say one that was bought from the original owner and the second owner really knows the watch's history, you are probably in good shape, especially if the owner(s) kept all the paperwork and service history.Unfortunately, most watches bought back then were not bought by collectors, but by guys who bought them to wear the heck out of them. usually the Box and papers either got thrown away or got stuck in a drawer or a box full of papers and 10 years later, the owner had no idea what he did with them. If people were moving around a lot, as was the case of service personnel who bought Rolex watches dirt cheap in the base commisary or PX, unless they were very anal about keeping papers, boxes, etc. they got thrown out or lost during a move.

The only thing I would differ with gavidoc about is replacing the hands and pearl and parting out the ones you have on the watch. If the old pearl and hands aere really in sad shape, that could bring the value of the watch down more than you might get for watch with the better hands and pearl on them. Right now it's pretty nice, and the hands and dial are a good match. What you have to weigh is what the total would be for the watch as is now and selling the other pearl and hands, or reinstalling them back in the watch and selling these seperately. also every time you crack open that old case and take everything apart, you run the risk of messing something up that will be costly to replace. Scratch the dial removing the hands, or crack the crystal, lots of things can happen, and none of them are good.

But remember that this alleged service dial is an old Tritium one and not one of the newer luminover ones so is rare in itself.

Anyway I did sell this locally in Australia for $4700 just for the record so everyone was pretty much on the money.

Edited by bwhitesox

But remember that this alleged service dial is an old Tritium one and not one of the newer luminover ones so is rare in itself.

Anyway I did sell this locally in Australia for $4700 just for the record so everyone was pretty much on the money.

that was a good price - for the buyer ;)