When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Do you sometimes question your sanity?

kramerica2

This post is meant for the more serious collectors out there, especially those that spent a lot of money on this hobby.

Every now and then, I think about the money I spent over the years on watches (~10K$), and start to really question my sanity on the subject. I'm not a rich guy by any means and still young (30) and single, and although I'm not risking the college fund of my future kids, and I do keep a significant amount on the side, I can't help thinking that another 10K would be always useful.

I usually dismiss those thoughts quickly, knowing that I really enjoy this hobby and watches, and also knowing, that I'd always be able to sell them for a decent amount on a rainy day in the future. Not for full price obviously, but with prices rising all the time, without losing much money either.

What are your thoughts on the subject, does that happen to you as well?

I've often thought about it. Who couldn't use an extra $10k in their savings account.

The real question is: can you put a monetary value on the enjoyment you get from the hobby? I know I sure couldn't. I love it! Where else can you enjoy something so thoroughly and meet some great friends in the process?

Another great thing is being able to spread the expense over several years instead of spending that $10k on one gen. Where's the fun and enjoyment in that?

Just my thoughts on the matter ;)

It's never really occured to me. I figure that collecting anything costs money, and I either have enough for a piece, or I don't (mostly the latter :bangin: ) Even though I'm still building my collection, I'm trying to keep it reasonable: I stick to one brand which I like, and am trying to use the discipline of a daily beater, and others to then alternate to depending on situation. That allows each watch to have it's day, rather than just gathering dust as a paperweight due to not being able to take off a beater :) I figure that way, I'm not simply buying for the sake of buying (well, not too much :pardon: )

Of course we're ALL insane...Spending money to buy obsolete technology that only serves to inform us of info available universally for virtually nothing!!!

It's a matter of degrees, and how skilled one is at self delusion ....in my case....I have always funded my purchases by selling other stuff that I convinced my self to buy earlier, such as other watches, cameras, or other such junk...

Just yesterday, I saw a Panerai rep offered for sale on one of the boards for $6800.00.......NOW.....THAT'S CRAZY!!!!!! :bangin: :bangin:

Of course we're ALL insane...Spending money to buy obsolete technology that only serves to inform us of info available universally for virtually nothing!!!

It's a matter of degrees, and how skilled one is at self delusion ....in my case....I have always funded my purchases by selling other stuff that I convinced my self to buy earlier, such as other watches, cameras, or other such junk...

Just yesterday, I saw a Panerai rep offered for sale on one of the boards for $6800.00.......NOW.....THAT'S CRAZY!!!!!! :bangin: :bangin:

Was it being sold as gen or some kind of über modded?

Hobbies cost money unfortunately. I enjoy fishing also. If I took time to add up what I have spent on fuel, bait, lures, rod, reels, line, etc the costs easily out weighs what I could buy the fish for at the market. But buying fish at the market doesn't bring me any enjoyment. We all have hobbies that help keep us sane, if you weren't collecting watches you would have most likely spent the money on another hobby such as fishing, golf, skiing, surfing, diving, cars, etc. As long as you don't spend beyond your means, just enjoy your hobby and be thankful that you found something you enjoy.

When you really get down to it, hobbies are one integral part of what makes life interesting. I have Physician friends who are about my age and older who spent their entire life caring for everyone else, they never had the time or interest to develop any outside hobbies or interests. Now some of them are retired, or approaching retirement age and they are at wits end as to what they will do. I hope that all of the things that interest me outside of medicine will carry me through into doting old age with plenty to do

This watch hobby while expensive at times has probably not cost me very much money over the years. I tried to keep pretty level headed about the costs, selling some when I wanted to buy something else. I have a nucleus of around 10 watches that are "Franchise watches" they are protected and probably will not be sold unless my financial position deteriorates to the point of a forced sale. Several of these are genuine, a few are Frankens. Anything else in the box is fair game for sale or trade if something comes along that really strikes my fancy. The main thing I'm trying to do is keep the hobby revenue neutral.

As I look back over the years of watch collecting ,selling, trading, the cost pales in comparison to what some hobbies cost. Imagine the money folks spend on serious fishing. Down here, there are literally thousands of high price Bass boats sitting in garages and carports. Now talk about a hobby, 20k boat, FWD truck to pull it, fishing all day = probably 10-20 gallons of gas @ 3.40/gal plus rods,reels, lures, etc. And, that pales in comparison to the guys who are into offshore fishing. Most of the rigs I see tied up in the Marinas along the Gulf Coast start at around 80k and go up from there to "Skies the Limit". So compared to most other hobbies, especially those involving things with motors or big animals, ours is a pittance.

i think of it this way; the money i spend on reps/gens is money i save up for some time.. this money would not be in a savings account if i didnt buy the watches, it would be spread out over time buying an extra beer at the pub or another pair of jeans i don't need.. fact is i don't see it as "savings account" vs watches.. it is consume of other goods vs watches... and having watches as a hobby i think its great value :).

I am a flipper, so its always the same money in and out. I have a savings, and a solid job, and am single, so that helps. But its an emotional response to watches, and you can't justify or quantify emotional responses to objects.

At least that's what I tell myself, that and I could be spending my money on hookers and blow instead. :huh:

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

How much did your last vacation cost and how long did that last? ;) Would you rather spend the next 20 years staring at that palm tree in the picture or that work of art on your wrist? You know you stare at that wrist everyday. As for the picture of the palm tree.....do you even know where it is? :)

It's been reduced to $5900! lol

This hobby is like most others, ya gotta pay to play. My problem is that I have TOO many hobbies. Besides watches, I collect knives. A good quality custom knife can cost alot more than one of the reps we buy.

Boating..... There's a hobby that is a black hole for funds. The common joke about the name BOAT is that it stands for Break Out Another Thousand. Besides all the upgrades and maintenance that a high performance boat needs, we live in a world of high fuel costs. The engine in my boat is 502 cubic inches, and on a fun filled weekend of tearing up and down the lakes I might go through two or three 58 gallon tankfulls of gas. Now THAT'S painful.

I also race RC cars. In a season of racing I'll go through three or four nitro motors per class that I'm racing in. A competition nitro motor runs $300+, and one constant in RC racing is that SOMETHING breaks every race day.

The list of money pits that I call hobbies go on. The thing is, unless your hobby is sitting on a park bench watching people go by, MOST hobbies cost SOMETHING.