When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Cartel 1675 converted to low-beat

sneed12

The new 1675 model has been getting a fair bit of press. I ordered one a while ago, and apparently it arrived last week while my regular postman was on holiday. The temporary guy "forgot" to bother to deliver it to me. When my regular guy came back from his vacation he made a special trip out with. Also, as it turns out, Joe Biden was having a fundraiser in my building today, so the Secret Service shut down the street and we were told that we could work from home if we wanted to. So, of course, I took an hour to play with my new watch...

eb342300.jpg

e3c699d6.jpg

Standard stuff, ETA clone, "superlume" which is much better than rep lume used to be but still not as good as H-factory or WM9 lume. Of course, being me, I had to tear it apart...

Inside is a standard, clean-looking ETA clone 2836...

cd8ed796.jpg

One of the best parts on this, actually, is the white datewheel overlay with open 6/9. Does not have the left-justified problem that the PT vintage silver overlay has.

51105fcb.jpg

I'm going to swap the clone 2836 for a Swiss 2846. In order to do this, I have to remove the parts from the 2836 that drive the GMT hand and swap them to the other movement. I am also going to leave out the gear that allows the GMT wheel to be independently adjusted; the gen 1675 does not have an independently adjustable GMT hand.

3d9afd10.jpg

I don't have any formal watch training so I don't know the names for all of this stuff, but you remove the top cover plate and the hour hand wheel first (GMT wheel on left sits on top of the cover plate so it just lifts off)

41e16afd.jpg

Then you remove the date mechanism stuff

31ebb0e2.jpg

Now I will just install the pile of parts on the left onto the movement on the right. You need to swap the date jumper spring cover plate (which has a bit of a slot cut into it to clear the new teeth on the other side of the calendar wheel gear) as well as the calendar wheel gear. If you want to have the independently adjustable hour hand you also need to move the small gear that's installed where the date flipper paddle would usually go, I am going to leave it since I don't want that feature on the 2846.

ad122958.jpg

b5575a7d.jpg

ffdc024a.jpg

Install the dial and hands:

42295d9f.jpg

recase the movement:

86f43e53.jpg

and now I have a Swiss ETA slow-beat 1675 with the "correct" hand stack (the gens of this era have the GMT hand on the bottom) rep.

I also dug around in my parts box and found an old pepsi insert that I have been using to protect bezels from crystal press dies, so it's a bit scratched up and flattened. I've bent it back into shape, and I'll try fading it a bit to give the watch a bit of a worn look.

64bbd79d.jpg

I have a clark's crystal that I will install next, the distortion of the rep crystal is quite bad, but I ran out of time today. Sorry for the crappy iPhone pics, btw, we're having new floors installed and a bunch of my stuff including my camera and tripod is packed up.

Put in the Clark's crystal after the kids went to sleep. New crystal eliminated the distortion problem.

0afe2e94.jpg

Also, bleached and fitted the insert. I'm really happy with the way it came out, and I'm sort of pleased that it's beat up because I've been using it, rather than shaking it in a bag of rocks!

e8a2bbbc.jpg

Wristie (also notice my brand-new floors)

315e262c.jpg

I think the only mod remaining is to remove some meat from the bottom of the CGs, the profile is all wrong. But honestly that's low priority for me. Who looks at the back of the watch anyway?

92d1ba90.jpg

Great work S - so brave - I cant even see the 'pile of parts on the left', that have to go on the movement on the right! :crazy:

That crystal upgrade illustrates the real difference - and all for $5+.

Nice insert choice with some natural age, is the insert sloping up a little steep? It seems to be, and hence reducing the profile of the plexi - or is it just the angle of the shot?

Also, which date wheel did you use - is it white with open 6 and 9 and flat 3 from the original watch or an upgrade?

I am trying to resist one of these.............

When you have done the mod on the jumping 24h hand will it also stop it from hand winding the watch

That is not true. If the watch is not hand winding, it means that the yoke spring in the keyless works was not reset properly. It's easy to fix, but you have to take the hands and dial off.

Nice insert choice with some natural age, is the insert sloping up a little steep?

Probably. It was completely flat--seriously, I was using it as a spacer in my crystal press-- so I just bent it back by hand. I will try to tweak it some more, there's a bit too much of a gap between the inside of the insert and the outside of the crystal.

Also, which date wheel did you use - is it white with open 6 and 9 and flat 3 from the original watch or an upgrade?

It's the one that came with the watch. I contacted trevor to see if I could buy some more as parts, but he seems to think I want 3 more watches...

When you have done the mod on the jumping 24h hand will it also stop it from hand winding the watch, i purchased this GMT with the mod already done and it wont hand wind.

Cheers, nice build.

I think those are two separate functions within the movement. The GMT 4th hand is driven by the date wheel function. The hand winding is a function of the winding pinion at the stem, on the opposite side of the movement. While the 'leg bone's connected to the knee bone and the knee bone's connected to the thigh bone', the winding function should not be affected at all by modifying the movement to GMT or by keeping the GMT function non-adjustable.

There's also the blue Snowflake with a date, I just suggested the Heritage ad you already have several Subs, so thought it would give a new option to the collection :) Another blue Sub option, is the Japanese market release blue 16610, which is also a really nice piece :good::drinks:

There's also the blue Snowflake with a date, I just suggested the Heritage ad you already have several Subs, so thought it would give a new option to the collection :) Another blue Sub option, is the Japanese market release blue 16610, which is also a really nice piece :good::drinks:

I'm not willing to spend what it costs to build a good Tudor chrono :) but I really like the 7032

Probably. It was completely flat--seriously, I was using it as a spacer in my crystal press-- so I just bent it back by hand. I will try to tweak it some more, there's a bit too much of a gap between the inside of the insert and the outside of the crystal.

Thanks S - creative use of an old insert ! It looks really great. Is this bezel size a true 1675 size or more of a newer 16700 size? I have a couple of gen faded 16700 inserts and wonder if they might work in one of these?

It's the one that came with the watch. I contacted trevor to see if I could buy some more as parts, but he seems to think I want 3 more watches...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm not willing to spend what it costs to build a good Tudor chrono :) but I really like the 7032

I was just meaning the Heritage as an out of the box rep :lol: Way too much hassle to try sourcing parts for a build, but for what they are, they're great watches :good::drinks: