When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Do Members Usually Only Buy Watches They could Afford

rrari1

What kind of rep do you buy?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Do you only buy Reps where you could reasonably afford the gen?

I'm interested in people’s opinions on what type of reps they buy? I only buy reps of gen watches that cost below $10k. I would feel a bit funny wearing a rep that costs more than about 1/6 of the value of the car I drive.

I guess my reason for this is this is that I think people might view me as a fool, if they thought I was spending $100k on a watch, but could tell from knowing my line of work that that is a large percentage of my annual take home pay.

I often see secretaries at work who buy very expensive handbags, and my view of them is that their personal finances are out of control.

A member posted a while ago a few photos of an acquaintance’s watch collection, which the acquaintance claimed to be 100% gen. He pointed out that the guy lived in a small apartment and had an average car and average job. Members pointed out that many of the watches in the collection were clearly reps.

I am not saying my opinion is correct. It is just how I feel. I imagine many people equally feel that the public does not know if a watch is expensive or not, and they want to wear the best looking watch they can get.

Let me know what you think?

I am with you in limiting my purchases to watches I could theoretically afford. The funny thing is that if you follow the logic that many people have no idea what a specific watch costs than the issue becomes how many different watches you are rotating. If you are rotating 30-40 different watches on a daily basis it probably looks pretty suspicious/weird whether they are reps of $300 or $300,000 pieces. And for that reason I don't swap watches every day. In the real world even the few folks I know with massive gen collections don't switch what they are wearing that often. The one exception is probably Panerai but those guys typically own only Panerai. At some level same is true for Rolex.

The Gen price doesn't really come into it for me really, I look for a watch that appeals to me in looks and wear-ability, my nature is addictive so like most of us I have a few watches in the box, my only rule is that any purchase must be affordable from disposable income that I have (and the wife doesn't see it come in the post!) :inverted:

I love this hobby of ours, I get a great kick out of it and to be honest If I'm asked about a watch I'm wearing I offer the details and the 'is it gen' question hasn't come up yet. Most people do not have the faintest idea what make of watch your wearing or how much what you have on your wrist costs if it were Genuine imo :g:

I think I remember the post your talking about from a while ago, tbh the guy seemed like a [censored] who tried to belittle someone else by passing his reps as Gens, the guy's a loser!

Rep's these days are pretty bloody good in their own right, Qc issues etc are much better than they were 15 yrs ago when I bought them and hey they tell the time pretty well too ;)

• Like 1

My collection is pretty all ones that I could own if i did not have any thing else to spend my cash on

Well all apart from an old panerai with a theoretical value of a large luxury car. But it was the fists rep I modded and has evolved over the years so I keep it

I am not earning any cash yet, still studying, but don't have an issue wearing a $7k watch. Thing is it would be possible to pick it up for maybe $5k if pre-owned and you got a good deal and then could say it was a 21st gift or grad gift etc. That is still believable but wearing a PP or AP where the prices start around $15k is a different story for me.

At the moment, I couldn't afford a £10 quartz POS... I wouldn't buy/wear some of the higher end watches like PPs etc, not because of the perscieved value, but simply because I don't like the aesthetics of them :pardon: I'm not really bothered if someone thinks a watch might be a rep, so I just wear what I like and enjoy :)

At the moment, I couldn't afford a £10 quartz POS... I wouldn't buy/wear some of the higher end watches like PPs etc, not because of the perscieved value, but simply because I don't like the aesthetics of them :pardon: I'm not really bothered if someone thinks a watch might be a rep, so I just wear what I like and enjoy :)

My concern wasn't people thinking it was a rep, my issue was people thinking it was a Gen. and I was some pretentious 18 y/o with a trust fund :)

I never worried about it before, but since I've started my new job I sold all of my reps that would be worth more than $15k or so if they were gens. I was sad to see the blue dial ceramic Submariner go.

The "most expensive" in my collection would be a Big Bang and (I think) the AP diver.

I have a couple of watches that in the real world would cost somewhere around $25k but the grand majority of people would have no idea what they are or what they are worth so I don't really care. Odd thing is, the watches I get the most compliments on are the ones I would have never suspected. One example is my SOXA which is just a Seiko diver with a silver dial like a DOXA Searambler. That one gets more oohs and aahs then any other watch I own. Weird huh?

My concern wasn't people thinking it was a rep, my issue was people thinking it was a Gen. and I was some pretentious 18 y/o with a trust fund :)

This is the issue I have. While I am not 18 anymore, I would not want casual acquaintances to view me differently and thus treat me differently.

:lol: Let them think what they like :lol:

I'm reminded of something someone wrote a while back about iPads: People who want them are wannabes, people who have them are assholes... As above, just wear what you like and enjoy it :good::drinks:

Most people I meet dont really know any of the brands we all wear apart from rolex, then the first question about the rolex is usually is it a real one.

Even when I ve had on a genuine rolex people ask that, maybe I should wear pants more often :)

Hey I m low rent, so what ;)

@LHOOQ + 1

99.99% of the public will ever know the sticker price for the $100,000 Gen or the $80 horrible rep. I just like sourcing the parts & building the watch and am proud of the ones I've built and worked on. I see it a skill set (money pit)

That's funny - I like it :tu:

In my experience, people either don't notice what I'm wearing, or simply keep their thoughts to themselves and don't pass judgement, so while in the minds of many, Rolex = Fake, chances are it's never going to be an issue, so just buy the watches you like :) As a friend said to me a while back (on another issue entirely) "don't let the tail wag the dog...", and absolutely so, you wear the watch, don't let it wear you :victory: As for the type I buy as per the topic title, I just buy the watches I like and wear them, afterall, they're just watches :good::drinks:

Well I could afford any of my reps as gens...but anyone who notices my day to day switching of watches that knows what the gens cost would prob get suspicious, I mean its one thing to have a 6k gen panerai or even a 20k Gen ap... But to have 10, well that's pushing it lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

For me the original gen price does not matter, and I think it would really only matter to people who are worried about being called out. Although I do realise that in some jobs some rep owners may not want raise eyebrows of colleagues/boss so like to keep it 'low key'. This is perfectly understandable. There are a few other things to mention. These days I do not really feel comfortable wearing any watch above a certain price, say max $2Kish used price. Which means a franken/modded watch at about 1/3 of that amount if possible.

There are so many reasons for this, one is the extravagance of going above that ceiling when other things are more important, minding the bloody thing etc, it just doesn't fit the comfort level for some reason so I would tend to be only really interested in watches below this amount, which means if a good rep/franken is available then it is fair game. It strange when you have a mental ceiling of max gen prices you are comfortable with, you tend to naturally gravitate to the reps of these choices available close to this level. That's not to say a decent PP or lange rep is out of bounds, it certainly isn't but there are very few good ones available anyway.

A. Nobody ever really notices my watches

B. If they did, they have no clue how much they would cost

C. Success = wearing a Rolex to 99% of the general public.

I wear what I like when I feel like wearing it for the most part. Lately, I don't swap every day and sometimes go a week wearing the same one and then other weeks, I swap every day.

I prefer to rep pieces that are out of production. A rep of a Panerai 112 or a Rolex Sub C seems like...well...faking.

A Pre-V Panerai, though, is different to me in that the company that made it isn't around anymore so there isn't even an option of buying new. The same goes with Rolex MilSubs or 1016 Explorers. Rolex isn't going to make any more of them, so...why not?

I prefer to rep pieces that are out of production. A rep of a Panerai 112 or a Rolex Sub C seems like...well...faking.

A Pre-V Panerai, though, is different to me in that the company that made it isn't around anymore so there isn't even an option of buying new. The same goes with Rolex MilSubs or 1016 Explorers. Rolex isn't going to make any more of them, so...why not?

Interesting perspective, but I see what you mean: Reproduction rather than simply replication :) That said, once I found out what the gens actually cost to manufacture, and the outsourced parts, I started viewing those companies as the crooks :lol: