When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Tudor Snowflake Arrival

Hi

Whilst JMB is creating for me a rather tasty Tudor build with a few bits I've collected.  I found myself with a little spare cash and I needed something just to help scratch that Tudor itch....

Purchased a nice snowflake, it wasn't cheap but it wears very well and I just need to figure out how to age the insert and case.  Not so sure about the vintaged looking lume.  What do you think?

DSCN1053.jpg

DSCN1052.jpg

DSCN1054.jpg

DSCN1051.jpg

One method is soaking the insert in bleach for a few seconds, but people report very mixed and very individual results, so no hard and fast rules at all, other than keep an eye on it at all times :victory: As for the case, whatever your method of abuse, it's just a matter of roughing it up a bit, then sanding/polishing back to a more subtle appearance. Also, try and be random with the damage inflicted, or it can look too artificially aged... The lume on the hands and dial looks spot on, IMHO :good::drinks:

I love the grainy texture of your dial Red.

Well spotted. There was an era when Snowflake dials tended to go coarse like that... I believe it was the 7016 no-date and 7022 date models. The newer 9401 and 9411 fixed that.

Here's an old no-date "leprosy dial" from that era.

snowflake_dome3.jpg

BTW, here's what can be done with a "Josh" 5513 case, a 702 crown and some massaging. This watch merged with another 'Flake I had to build the piece (above) that gets most wrist time now.

kiara.jpg

Leprosy! I love it :)

Your last picture Nanuq...amazing how a 702 can change the whole look isn't it.

That really fixed the josh case problem.. at least for me.

I only have the one in my 5512... now I want 702's in all my vintage subs!

You know where a guy can get a deal on about a dozen 702's? I need to upgrade :)

Woof, it's not hard to find a 702, but the tubes are really scarce. That's mostly the reason I bought the one in the last photo, plus its dial.

If you're feeling brave you can chuck up an old-school MBW triplock crown and machine a bevel in its case side, and wind up with something nearly identical to a 702, with a working tube.

@Woof,

Got one from a collector was not for sale on VRF, since the watch is from 1979 i was looking for one with the Tudor logo. The older ones have Rolex logo/straps.

Came with 11 links, very nice condition, little stretch and the correct 380B end links for € 390 including shipping.

Pic of bracelet:

wKzPH.jpg

Nice score sardonix.

I've been watching VRM for months and not found a great deal. Tudor clasp or not ...they all seem to be 1000$

I'll keep at it, sooner or later I'll find one I like. Yours just makes your watch so much nicer :)