When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Why in general do gen watch owners hate reps ?

alterego

G, Mate you obviously werent around a couple of years ago.... :) Or that statement would not be coming from your lips mate... :)

And TeeJay.... mate either you drive a White van with your wifes old man or you are forgetting the real hazard on UK roads !!! :)

Other than Audi drivers? :g: Well, they do let women drive as well as vote these days... :whistling:

You know what I find funny also, on many gen forums lately I find the brand whores constantly trying to justify the inexcusable extortionate price hikes over the past 3 or 4 years in material terms, "but, but it's got a silicon balance spring", "but, but, the swiss franc was at an all time high", "but, but, 904L steel" :D.

The other thing is the designs argument; sure money, effort and research and development goes into the designs but seriously; every manufacturer robs from every other, not just watches, just look at Apple, you'd imagine they invented the mp3 player and the mobile phone the way they go on...of course they've got their patents, but that's only because they plow huge amounts of money into ever so slightly tweaking a design they robbed and then making sure they put their rights to it in legal documents.

I'm not having a go at apple here, just trying to put it in perspective. How much actual claim has any watch brand over a design? I never heard of Steinhart having trouble from Rolex or Archimede having trouble from IWC etc. It's all about that bloody logo on the dial isn't it, nothing to do with designs really at all. And if the problem comes back to the logo then it comes back to status and status symbols. And that is where the argument begins again ;)

• Like 1

A rep is a rep simply because it is not produced by the original brand manufacturer, because it imitates the physical characteristics of the genuine watch, because it is not marketed, sold nor certified by the manufacturer.

Having said that, replica watches are improving in build quality and reliability these days, with frankens and modded replicas taking the hobby a step closer toward bridging the quality gap between the gen and rep watches.

IMHO, a watch is meant to tell time and please its owner. If it serves its two core purposes well, then I would say it is a good watch for the guy who owns it. What a man chooses to live in, to drive, to wear, to eat, is his own business. You would not go up to a man in his restaurant and tell him that the tenderloin steak he is eating is not from the 45 day grain-fed cattle, or that the yellow shirt he is wearing looks ugly with the purple pants he has on, will you? Simply put, if your nose is where it belongs, and not dipped into another man's business, you can be assured that it is unlikely to get bruised or bloody. :drinks:

Can you buy a Ferrari for the same price? Saving money/frugality/cheapness/whatever you want to call it, it's all the same thing... Besides, only cunts drive Audis...

Mate, you wanna guess whats my other car besides a 997? :p

I do like cunts but a cunt I aint. :fishing:

What fakie hater wouldn't just love to motor boat these bad MF. :1: Oh but thats different. :acute:

Hmmmmmmm, nice lugs and crown guards. I like the work her modder turns out!