When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

American cars, did they ever make a good one?

dieselpower

American cars are for the masses. Cheap, economical and in many cases boring. Yes, the ingenuity of American engineers put man on the moon. However, American engineers also developed the "mass produced" automobile. How to build a car as cheaply as possible. Yes the CTS and CTS-V are nice looking cars but they are so horribly put together. The interior of my co-workers 2012 CTS sedan is horrible. Sure, it looks pretty in the pictures but my god it is poorly made. Same could be said of the 2007 Chevy Corvette that I got rid of last December. A rocket ship, but such a piece of junk inside. It was horrible. And it's still hand made too!

What I don't understand is why are the American exports are so much better? The Holden, Vauxhal, and Euro Spec Fords. I know the Munaro is basically a Ford Fusion but it just seems nicer. Same thing with the Holden Commodore or Vauxhaul VXR8 Bathurst. What a beast of a car!!

The CTS-V is basically Australian too, the Sigma platform, so it's US made based on Holden. As far as Holden itself, it's not an american export, Holden are Australian made, but GM bought Holden some time ago so they use American engines. Also I think you're thinking of Ford Mondeo which is sold outside of the US and is essentially a Ford Fusion. The Hodlen Monaro was what was sold as a re-badge Pontiac GTO in the US, similar to how the Pontiac G8 was a re-badged Holden Commodore, which is a car I own, they were both actually Australian made, rebadged and shipped here. I love my G8, no complaints on build quality.

Edited by Rick James

On the topic of EU cars, I don't even like the new Porsches and VWs that are coming out.

The problem with the German cars now is that everything is planned obsolescence. It's all plastic built to break. From VW to BMW and MB, they're all cars you should only buy new and then let some sucker deal with all the problems three years later. The problems range from simple things like dip stick tubes being plastic and crumbling into the engine when used to bigger problems like the coolant transfer pipe in BMW failing and requiring essentially a tear down of the motor to replace. My friend who has a 6 series was quoted something like $6 or $7k to fix a coolant leak... He found a collapsable aftermarket pipe that costs a lot less to install because it doesn't require tearing apart the motor to install, but still not cheap. Apparently this is a very common failure point, hence the aftermarket solution.

While the US cars are built of plastic on the inside, the drive train itself tends to be very solid. The trim will all fall apart on an american car, but the engine and the trans, especially on GMs, will last. The SBC engine is quite popular for this reason. The German market on the other hand seems to be the opposite, nice trims but the drive train isn't built to last.

Edited by Rick James

well you could say GM bought Holden some time ago...but it was before the first Holden was produced :)

Ken

Founded in 1856 by James Alexander Holden, in 1885 the establishment combined with the carriage builder Henry Frost to become Holden & Frost. In 1908 it moved into the automotive field, trimming motor vehicles and in 1914 they built their first one-off car body for an imported chassis, with larger contracts following. The firm became a subsidiary of the US-based General Motors (GM) automotive group in 1931, and resultantly retitled General Motors-Holden's Ltd.

'I've got my flak jacket on' :inverted: Hope it's a Gen Flak Jacket D !

Seriously you can pick out the good and bad in most countries car manufacturers, just look at the Italians Alfa, Ferrari, Lambo, Fiat, then the UK MG, Aston, British Leyland, the French Renault, Citroen, all of them at some stage have suffered with major wiring faults, dodgy build quality, crappy interiors etc etc. It's not limited to just the American market ;)

I know..I know...we just can't keep up to the Polish when It comes to making safe cars.

First of all, it's cyrillic on sign, so it's not Poland, but I understand that being an uneducated american you won't recognize such obvious flaws in your logic. But I know, there are no beaches in Poland (another example of good american education, and country beginning with a letter u is utopia or utah lol), nevertheless, usa still lost in beach volleyball, that's guite funny.

Nevertheless, there is only one polish car manufacturer and it's quite good (besides the [censored] that is chevy engine). Besides, there's shitload of Fiat and Opel factories. Still better than all the american [censored] procuded in mexico that will crash when you turn. I understand that roads are quite good in the USA, but Jeep failure in Moose test is just ridiculous. It's 2012 and this Jeep cannot turn, and will kill you if you do. Splendid.

2a.jpg

First of all, it's cyrillic on sign, so it's not Poland, but I understand that being an uneducated american you won't recognize such obvious flaws in your logic. But I know, there are no beaches in Poland (another example of good american education, and country beginning with a letter u is utopia or utah lol), nevertheless, usa still lost in beach volleyball, that's guite funny.

Nevertheless, there is only one polish car manufacturer and it's quite good (besides the [censored] that is chevy engine). Besides, there's shitload of Fiat and Opel factories. Still better than all the american [censored] procuded in mexico that will crash when you turn. I understand that roads are quite good in the USA, but Jeep failure in Moose test is just ridiculous. It's 2012 and this Jeep cannot turn, and will kill you if you do. Splendid.

2a.jpg

I would think you would refer to me as a uneducated person Instead of a uneducated American. :g: :I dont know how educated or uneducated you are....but you are definitely a ass hole. Nice horse btw ;)

I would think you would refer to me as a uneducated person Instead of a uneducated American. :g: :I dont know how educated or uneducated you are....but you are definitely a ass hole. Nice horse btw ;)

[censored] with Master's degree nevertheless. Anyway, maybe Poland sucks when it comes to producing actuals cars (simply because we don't), but remeber, when you're chillin' on golf course, there's a big change you're driving what? Polish export pride, Melex electric golf carts. Also used to deliver reps from factories to TDs, true story.

melex-electric-2-seater-fleet-36v-golf-cart.jpg

2a.jpg

Just because I love to shake the beehive, those tests are ridiculous when it comes to the Jeep testing(you forgot to post which model Jeep by the way) my 2011 4 door wrangler is lifted 3 inches(8cm for European folks) and runs on 35" inch tall tires(89cm for our European crowd) and regeared ring and pinion to 4.86. I can drive this car just as hard as any other on the street. Oh yeah, its a 6spd I cannot stan an automatic transmission, but then again, I did learn to drive in an old Willy's jeep. Very similar to the one that covered most of Europe when our American vehicles were called in to plow over some nasty Nazis(like I said, I like to shake the beehive)Weren't they a nuisance in Poland also?

If I want to race a car and go fast, I won't pick the Wrangler. It's not a car to drive fast in. I'm happy to cruise all day at 70mph on it with the top down and some nasty Amarican rock blasting. However, the roads in Westcester county NY where I live are pretty bad to enjoy anything at speed really. Now, give me some mud and a trail any day and I'll show you how hard it is to really flip a Jeep.

BTW, is that car you posted just a bad copy of an old Austin Healey design? Just saying. Also, the rims look like the cheap American Racing rims found in Fiats lol

[censored] with Master's degree nevertheless. Anyway, maybe Poland sucks when it comes to producing actuals cars (simply because we don't), but remeber, when you're chillin' on golf course, there's a big change you're driving what? Polish export pride, Melex electric golf carts. Also used to deliver reps from factories to TDs, true story.

melex-electric-2-seater-fleet-36v-golf-cart.jpg

;)

In all seriousness...I think most of the cars I've seen In Poland are Fiats Nissans VW's and Hondas. Small cars for small roads......but.

Polands Arrinera has started taking orders and plans to begin deliveries to Europe,China the Middle East and the USA later this year. Lamborghini knock off? prehaps. But a very cool looking car Irregardless. ;)

http://blog.<strong>...r-Gets-A-price/

post-19368-0-39594500-1347374278_thumb.j

post-19368-0-66814600-1347374426_thumb.j

Just because I love to shake the beehive, those tests are ridiculous when it comes to the Jeep testing(you forgot to post which model Jeep by the way)

I have no idea what model it is, the video speaks for itself. Cars should not behave like this. The last one that was so bad was Mercedes A-class and it actually flipped. Are these tests ridiculous? Don't think so. And everybody in EU knows that e.g. Mercedes failed it.

Seriously, I won't argue the impact and influence of us in history of automotive, it's huge. But one thing is clear - us cars handle like crap. Probably because of good straight roads and popularity of stupid sports like Nascar that do not require handling.

BTW, is that car you posted just a bad copy of an old Austin Healey design? Just saying. Also, the rims look like the cheap American Racing rims found in Fiats lol

Yes, bad copy, cheap rims. 100% hand made, $150,000 and driven by nobodies like e.g. King of Sweden. Just saying.

In all seriousness...I think most of the cars I've seen In Poland are Fiats Nissans VW's and Hondas. Small cars for small roads......but.

It depends. It's like saying Americans drive only pickups after one day in Alabama. In Warsaw there's shitload of Porsches, BMW, Audis, Mercedes etc. Drive to our equivalent of Alabama, and you'll get 80% of 10-20yo VW Golfs and BMW. Meanwhile in Warsaw, it's easy to spot Ferraris. Only popular American cars would be Fords, Chevy is seriously investing, but without success. Also, petrol is expensive. 7$ / gallon and buying power is 25% of us so petrol is in comparison 8x more expensive. The upside is, I paid 0$ to get Master's Degree and we have universal healthcare. But that's about it. Poland sucks, seriously.

I have no idea what model it is, the video speaks for itself. Cars should not behave like this. The last one that was so bad was Mercedes A-class and it actually flipped. Are these tests ridiculous? Don't think so. And everybody in EU knows that e.g. Mercedes failed it.

Seriously, I won't argue the impact and influence of us in history of automotive, it's huge. But one thing is clear - us cars handle like crap. Probably because of good straight roads and popularity of stupid sports like Nascar that do not require handling.

Yes, bad copy, cheap rims. 100% hand made, $150,000 and driven by nobodies like e.g. King of Sweden. Just saying.

The king is dead. Long live the King lol

Here is another insignificant American car, The 1967 Carrol Shelby Cobra. Ooops, This is one of the greatest race cars ever created. It rules the road.

post-3251-0-45672700-1347328009_thumb.jp

I've had the great fortune to drive a few real deal, original Cobras. They're loud, foul smelling, violent and nothing else on the planet even comes close to being as fun to drive.

There's something to be said for small engines and lightweight vehicles. My departed friend and race mechanic built FEROCIOUS racing motorcycles, mine included. But when we went riding in the twisty roads, he made me swear I would not try to keep up with him.

He rode a 400 Super Hawk Honda and he would eat me alive between point-A and point-B. His secret? Never slow down for corners.

post-32-0-72903100-1347388017_thumb.jpg