When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Chinese Reader required...

TeeJay

Does either of these symbols correctly translate as 'soup'?

SoupCourage_zps1b1b5f01.jpg

Soup (apparently)

soup1_zps3aefcd80.gif

Do they both read soup but refer to different kinds of soup?

Thanks in advance :good::drinks:

The top one is not soup in either simplify Chinese or traditional Chinese.

The bottom one is in simplify Chinese character.

"湯" this is soup in traditional Chinese character.

Edited by slooowr6

The top one is not soup in either simplify Chinese or traditional Chinese.

The bottom one is in simplify Chinese character.

"湯" this is soup in traditional Chinese character.

The character you've inserted isn't showing up on my laptop (I'll try on a PC tomorrow) but thanks for the feedback :good::drinks: Looks like it's going to be the bottom character, kinda ironic, given where it's going to be going :lol::whistling:

I read chinese, and "汤" is the simplified chinese character for soup.

Now, why would be asking this in a watch forum? Lemme guess.. your watch fell into the soup while in Shanghai and you are making a report to the local authorities! :D :D

I asked Cathy, she said the first two she has no idea what they say and she speaks traditional Chinese.

She said the last symbol has 2 meanings Hot/Boiling water or Hot Springs.

Ken

Cathy probably is a chinese from China I reckon?

The first two chinese characters are traditional chinese ones used in Taiwan.

china uses the simplified chinese characters. They are quite different.

After engaging my Chinese team on this and distracting them for 15 minutes, they came up (after much debate) with the following translations.

post-44949-0-13211900-1348127375_thumb.j

You're kidding right?

I read chinese (not even my native tongue) and it took me 3.2seconds, while I was, erm, drinking soup and perusing RWG :lol: :lol:

The traditional character has several meanings, and they initially came with a story, something along the lines of:

"Catch the heart of a bear or the bladder of a leopard and you will show bravery and courage"

But thought it too long winded. Not many native under 30's Chinese can read traditional han - its an ancient art form left for the scholars these days, and captures very out of date beliefs, stories and traditions.

The traditional character has several meanings, and they initially came with a story, something along the lines of:"Catch the heart of a bear or the bladder of a leopard and you will show bravery and courage"But thought it too long winded. Not many native under 30's Chinese can read traditional han - its an ancient art form left for the scholars these days, and captures very out of date beliefs, stories and traditions.
lol I like that saying about the bear and leopard..its suggestive (and correctly so) about the superstitious nature of the older chinese and the fact that they eat animal parts to strengthen their own :D

You are right though Archetypal..Chinese is a deep language, and each character can have two or more meanings when used in different contexts. These days, the traditional chinese language system is used in Taiwan, and China uses simplified Chinese. A lot of times, the folks from these two countries do not understand one another when it comes to specific terms being used. It can be fun learning a foreign language but Chinese (or even the spoken Mandarin) can be a painful one if one intends to explore beyond everyday words. I guess the same can be said for most other foreign languages. :drinks:

Spot on Legend.

As we we know China is a vast country with 5000 years of tradition, tradition that is arguably lost on most of the young Chinese (you cant blame them) let alone the Laowi's (Old outsider's / foreigners). After two years living here, I am more confused than when I first stepped off the plane.

With around 292 traditional spoken dialects its no wonder the Chinese had to simplify and create what is known as the modern Mandarin (Including Pinyin which spells the characters using the alphabet, making the spoken mandarin possible to learn by other nations) and Simplified Han Chinese as around 2000 written characters (Traditional characters in total is a massive number, around 100,000).

This process of language refinement unified China helping make them the power house they have become, whilst making themselves globally accessible.

Smart really.

Edited by Archetypal

Spot on Legend.

As we we know China is a vast country with 5000 years of tradition, tradition that is arguably lost on most of the young Chinese (you cant blame them) let alone the Laowi's (Old outsider's / foreigners). After two years living here, I am more confused than when I first stepped off the plane.

With around 292 traditional spoken dialects its no wonder the Chinese had to simplify and create what is known as the modern Mandarin (Including Pinyin which spells the characters using the alphabet, making the spoken mandarin possible to learn by other nations) and Simplified Han Chinese as around 2000 written characters (Traditional characters in total is a massive number, around 100,000).

This process of language refinement unified China helping make them the power house they have become, whilst making themselves globally accessible.

Smart really.

Oh yes mate, the dialects, the damned dialects :lol:

They form a huge part of the language culture in China, with each province, or towns within the same province speaking their own dialects.

But at the end of the day buddy, I came to the conclusion that Chinese must not be a difficult language to learn, since the 3 yr old kids there are speaking them? :D :D :D

I asked Cathy, she said the first two she has no idea what they say and she speaks traditional Chinese.

She said the last symbol has 2 meanings Hot/Boiling water or Hot Springs.

Ken

Thanks, amigo, and please my thanks (and additional congratulations) on to Cathy :good::drinks:

Thinking of a nice tattoo?

Yup :lol::bangin::whistling:

Of "soup"? May be apt, considering the amount of hot soup TeeJay gets himself into on a daily basis. :D

Yup, of "soup", but for the following reason...

All the kanji I have thus far is 100% serious/accurately translated, and having seen this episode, I thought it would be quite funny to have an 'incorrect' tattoo thrown into the mix for the lols as reference to the joke (and all miss-translated Chinese and Japanese tattoos :lol: ) I was considering having the character meaning 'nothing' done, simply for the lols of if someone asked what it meant, I would have to say "Nothing...." and a rather cyclic discussion for a few moments :D But having then seen the episode, I thought that would be even more amusing :lol:

After engaging my Chinese team on this and distracting them for 15 minutes, they came up (after much debate) with the following translations.

post-44949-0-13211900-1348127375_thumb.j

Fantastic, many thank :good::drinks:

You do realise T that you will go and get these symbols tattooed on you and then LK and Arch are going to fess up that the really say "At the end of the day this is an ugly boy" :D

Yes LK Cathy is Chinese in China :)

Ken

Would be a good chuckle :lol:

You do realise T that you will go and get these symbols tattooed on you and then LK and Arch are going to fess up that the really say "At the end of the day this is an ugly boy" :D

Yes LK Cathy is Chinese in China :)

Ken

:lol: you gave the game away too soon Ken :drinks:

Thanks, amigo, and please my thanks (and additional congratulations) on to Cathy :good::drinks:

Yup :lol::bangin::whistling:

Yup, of "soup", but for the following reason...

All the kanji I have thus far is 100% serious/accurately translated, and having seen this episode, I thought it would be quite funny to have an 'incorrect' tattoo thrown into the mix for the lols as reference to the joke (and all miss-translated Chinese and Japanese tattoos :lol: ) I was considering having the character meaning 'nothing' done, simply for the lols of if someone asked what it meant, I would have to say "Nothing...." and a rather cyclic discussion for a few moments :D But having then seen the episode, I thought that would be even more amusing :lol:

Fantastic, many thank :good::drinks:

Would be a good chuckle :lol:

come on mate, say you aint serious about the tattoo :lol:. which nutcase would tattoo the character for "soup" on his buttock, or anywhere on his body for that matter? :D

come on mate, say you aint serious about the tattoo :lol:. which nutcase would tattoo the character for "soup" on his buttock, or anywhere on his body for that matter? :D

I would :whistling: I'm totally serious, brother, purely in the interests of humor, of course :D You may not have known, but I have plans to have a traditional full bodysuit of Japanese tattooing done. I didn't have anything particular planned for my backside other than 'background water', but seeing that episode really made me chuckle, and I thought "Why not...?" Taking the episode as true, she just has a tattoo of a character on one buttock. That's like putting a postage stamp on a blank wall, and it would stand out a mile... I'm going to wind up with tattoos all over, so it will just blend in with the rest of the work, and it's not likely that many folks would ever see it anyway :lol: This would be what is referred to in horimono as kakushibori, which literally means 'hidden carving', and according to Wikipedia: "tattooing near the armpits, the inside of the thighs and other 'hidden' body areas. Also refers to the tattooing of hidden words, for example among the petals of flowers." I already have kanji tattooed on the insides of my thighs and near the armpits, but the idea of another 'hidden' tattoo, and with such a random meaning/significance (ie none at all :lol: ) appealed to my sense of humor :lol::good::drinks:

I would :whistling: I'm totally serious, brother, purely in the interests of humor, of course :D You may not have known, but I have plans to have a traditional full bodysuit of Japanese tattooing done. I didn't have anything particular planned for my backside other than 'background water', but seeing that episode really made me chuckle, and I thought "Why not...?" Taking the episode as true, she just has a tattoo of a character on one buttock. That's like putting a postage stamp on a blank wall, and it would stand out a mile... I'm going to wind up with tattoos all over, so it will just blend in with the rest of the work, and it's not likely that many folks would ever see it anyway :lol: This would be what is referred to in horimono as kakushibori, which literally means 'hidden carving', and according to Wikipedia: "tattooing near the armpits, the inside of the thighs and other 'hidden' body areas. Also refers to the tattooing of hidden words, for example among the petals of flowers." I already have kanji tattooed on the insides of my thighs and near the armpits, but the idea of another 'hidden' tattoo, and with such a random meaning/significance (ie none at all :lol: ) appealed to my sense of humor :lol::good::drinks:

gosh you're serious! :D post a pic dude! :drinks:

Ach, Chinese symbols are for teenage girls. You might as well have a dolphin leaping over it.

I'm joking of course, not personally a fan of tattoos to be perfectly honest.

However I have a much better suggestion for you...

It is the word:

Braghettoni

In the art world, this was the name given to the artists that painted underpants over the relevant regions of nude renaissance art at the insistence of the pope. It means "Big Underpants Man". :p

gosh you're serious! :D

Totally :tu: The kanji/writing I currently have, is:

Inner right bicep: Arabic text reading 'jihad' (meaning 'struggle/strive')

Inner left bicep: Kanji reading 'giri' (burden of obligations) (the two arms counter-balance each other to refer that one must strive/struggle to maintain one's obligations)

Inner right thigh: Kanji reading 'ai shimai' (translated to mean 'beloved sister')

Inner left thigh: Kanji reading 'aniki' (Yakuza slang meaning 'street brother')

Right ribs: Kanji reading 'Konoyo no jigoku' (literal translation of 'Hell on Earth'. Another suitable variation would have been 'ikijigoku', meaning 'living hell' )

Left ribs: Chinese character meaning 'protect' (not sure of the specific Chinese word, only the translated meaning)

Left shoulder-blade: Kanji which translate as 'my father/head of house' and 'scorpion'.

Upcoming kanji, to be in a 'pearl of wisdom' held by the dragon on my back: 'Kibou' (Hope)

Chinese character meaning 'Soup' (Courage :bangin::lol: )

post a pic dude! :drinks:

Once it's done, I'll be sure to post the soup :lol::good::drinks:

Ach, Chinese symbols are for teenage girls. You might as well have a dolphin leaping over it.

I'm joking of course, not personally a fan of tattoos to be perfectly honest.

However I have a much better suggestion for you...

It is the word:

Braghettoni

In the art world, this was the name given to the artists that painted underpants over the relevant regions of nude renaissance art at the insistence of the pope. It means "Big Underpants Man". :p

I was actually considering having a leaping Marlin done on the right abdomen, but decided against it in the end :lol:

Well, they do call them 'body-suits' for a reason :lol::good::drinks: