When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Is this a gen bezel and insert?

mymanmatt

I'm not trying to fool anyone. But I would like to know if the majority think this is gen or aftermarket. I purchased these as genuine. The insert does snap into the bezel, and the bezel fits both gen and rep submariners. Opinions appreciated. Pics from my phone, best I can do. I don't know how you guys get some of the pics you get, but some of them are fantastic. After looking at several watches from 1981-2002, I conclude that over the years, many watches are serviced by independent jewelers, who are highly qualified to work on watches, including rolex. I am sure during that time many aftermarket parts were used, including aftermarket inserts ( easily damaged ) crystals, case tubes, gaskets etc. So my conclusion is, even though the watch is gen, after a period of time, it may have had aftermarket parts installed. The average consumer, not rwg members, doesn't care as long as the watch looks nice and performs well. However, with all that said www.ebay.com 271067851177 has the same 2 I think LOL

post-43828-0-93901100-1348583654_thumb.j

post-43828-0-35946100-1348583695_thumb.j

post-43828-0-77791100-1348583729_thumb.j

I looked at 4 supposed gen watches on ebay and a 100% gen insert. The 16610's had a pointy 4 and a different 2 than this one. Then I looked at 2 transitional subs, 1 had the same 2 and a flat 4, the other had the same 2 and a pointy 4.This stuff can drive you crazy. Thank you freddy for pointing that 2 out to me. Now Im even more confused! ^&%$$*^# I don't know anymore what's right or what's wrong. But I agree the 2 is suspect

OK. I can have the holes drilled, so no problem.

The 16570 Explorer case was reviewed to be used as a case with gen style bezel/crystal for a 16710 build.

The 16610 would certainly work as a 16710, right? If this 'T' case has the gen style bezel/crystal then why would the 16570 be such a big deal and the 'finally a 16710 case' that BK wrote up?

http://www.rwg.cc/topic/144657-making-a-gen-style-16710-case-out-of-a-16570-case-and-tw-bezel-assembly/page__pid__1089607#entry1089607

A 16610 case would make one less number to erase and re-engrave. I am confused!

Thank you guys, but no one has commented about the bezel. Can you tell from my crapy pic, if this looks gen. Today, with the quality of aftermarket parts available, who can really tell. I don't think one single person can really say if a part is gen or rep. Too many pros and cons

Your bezel is certainly gen-like construction. So at that point you basically have to trust the seller. Your insert looks ok- it's hard to tell from a pic, but if the pearl is good, it's probably gen. The fact that the bezel fits a gen sub should be good proof. I've never had an aftermarket bezel that I didn't have to massage to get to fit on a sub- i.e. sand and file so it wasn't so tight.

OK. I can have the holes drilled, so no problem.

The 16570 Explorer case was reviewed to be used as a case with gen style bezel/crystal for a 16710 build.

The 16610 would certainly work as a 16710, right? If this 'T' case has the gen style bezel/crystal then why would the 16570 be such a big deal and the 'finally a 16710 case' that BK wrote up?

http://www.rwg.cc/to...07#entry1089607

A 16610 case would make one less number to erase and re-engrave. I am confused!

Anyone?

Is no one going to comment on the 16610 and the 16570 CGs being completely different? And also, what's with the GMT thread jack all of a sudden??

To the OP: that's not a gen bezel or insert, sorry.

Agree. Not gen.

16610 and 16710 case profiles, retainers and bezels are the same but Cg's are different.