When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Am I Crazy?

Adeodatus

So I dropped my PAN288 a few days ago and it got a couple of dings right near the crystal (amazingly the crystal is just fine). The dings are very very small, but they are all I can see know when I look at the watch. And i love this watch. This bums me so much, that I'm thinking about selling it and buying a new one, the same one. Am I crazy?

8yf0A.jpg

So I dropped my PAN288 a few days ago and it got a couple of dings right near the crystal (amazingly the crystal is just fine). The dings are very very small, but they are all I can see know when I look at the watch. And i love this watch. This bums me so much, that I'm thinking about selling it and buying a new one, the same one. Am I crazy?

8yf0A.jpg

you're not nuts.. you're merely seriously liking this model. If the watch is not modded, yes why not get a new one and keep this for spare parts. ;)

I did the same with a watch of mine too, under similar circumstances, except it was scratched by a cat. :lol:

you're not nuts.. you're merely seriously liking this model. If the watch is not modded, yes why not get a new one and keep this for spare parts. ;)

I did the same with a watch of mine too, under similar circumstances, except it was scratched by a cat. :lol:

Uhh, parts... Great idea actually.

On a side note: scratched by a cat?!

It's time to come to the Dark Side. Welcome.

oomph.jpg

If it's your Defender's wheel, then I don't see anything wrong with this picture. :)

Uhh, parts... Great idea actually.

On a side note: scratched by a cat?!

Erm, yes thats another tale actually. I was carrying my neighbor's cat when it started playing with the strap of the watch I was wearing. It left some scratches on the SS case. :D

Guest zeleni kukuruz

What would you do if it was a gen? Buy a new one!

They are just signs of life my watches rep and gen get scuffed and dinged just like my hands get spanner rash in the garage

+1

They are just signs of life my watches rep and gen get scuffed and dinged just like my hands get spanner rash in the garage

Agreed! Some people pay money to get that "natural" look!!

I'm in this camp, continue to wear it with pride, it still looks great and hey, s#it happens!

The Rolex heads beat the [censored] out of there watches to get that "vintage" look.;) Are you crazy? yes...but you are In some very good company.

Personally?? I would keep it. If It still bothers you a few months down the road....then get another Rad. Beautiful Pam btw

Mike

Dings always bother the first couple of times they happen with a minty watch, within a few months you won't even care about them, it's a good sign that the watch is being used as it should be and not sitting pointlessly in a watchbox. As said above that one would be easy to refinish a little to tone down the marks if they are really a bother.

• Like 1

I like the dings in my watches. They are like little battle scars. Little stories to go along with the watch. That being said, most of my watches are vintage anyways, so it's less of a big deal. I think that's why I like the vintage ones best. I get a little OCD on new watches and tend to sell them because I don't wear them (for fear of dinging them!) ;)

Bottom line, if you love the watch that much I would buy another one and keep that one for as a spare. You never know what might happen to the new one and perhaps you will need a spare part or spare movement.

I agree, it's sort of like the first scratch on your new car. It seems like the end of the world, but a few months down the road and a little more wear and tear, and you won't even notice the dings. I'm one of those Rolexheads. I wear my watches under every circumstance, and they get scratched and dinged. I don't go out of the way to abuse them, but I'm and outside person. and I have a pretty good bit of acerage to take care of, all this requires encounters with tractors, lawnmowers, power tools, dirt, dust. oil, grease amd diesel. So mine are definitely not safe queens. I hate to see the first scratch on a new watch, but it's soon forgotten

I'm more than willing to accept dings and scratches on "divers", unfortunately my 1665 and PO42 are as perfect as the day they arrived, but my Spitfire and now the 288 are dong... And they are supposed to be freaken dressy watches.

...damn it, I hate when I get all OCD on such things. (same with phones and code formatting - programmers here may understand this).

EDIT: does anyone know if 288 cases are available?

Edited by Adeodatus

Will you replace the watch every time it becomes less than box-fresh? If so, then yes. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but it could get costly quickly if you're going to replace the watch every time it gets dinged or scuffed... As mentioned above, these are signs that the watch is being worn and used as intended, rather than being safe-queened (which angers me beyond my ability to explain) Personally speaking, I don't feel like a watch is 'mine' until it's picked up its first ding, but of course, it's what's right for you :good::drinks: